Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PCP Quality
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:15 pm 

I'm wondering why so many PCP air guns need "tuning" to be efficient and accurate.

I've been shopping for one for quite a while, and they sure are not cheap to buy!

For the money, why are they not as good as they can be right out of the box? I can get a .22 LR for 1/4 of the $$$ of a PCP, that will out perform it in every way.

Every gun I've considered has tons of videos etc on how to make it shoot straight.

Is there not a PCP that for say, around $800 without scope that is ready to target shoot or whatever that doesn't make the target look like it was hit with a shotgun??

Post subject: Re: PCP Quality
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:01 pm 

Perhaps this Air Arms might fit your needs http://www.airgunsource.com/air-arms-s4 ... bs/dp/1812

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:34 pm 

Maybe you are not an airgunner? You don't have to be you know.
We airgunners put up with in fact enjoy the tuning, fixing and modding
no matter what the initial cost was. A rimmy is not an airgun AND an airgun is not
a rimmy! We are okay with that!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:37 am 

I agree with Walter. Some of us pick up junker,s and clunkers, just to fiddle with, to try and make them better. For me, tinkering is more fun than shooting. I also agree with you. A new $800 gun should not need modding, or even a cleaning, out of the box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:08 am 

I have rimfires...I bring them along with my air rifles.But they don't get much use.There's something about popping pellet tin lids with my nitro phantom .22 at 75 yards that is just plain fun.Tuning for smoothness and power is great....but shooting is the best part..…I hear you though.....I wouldn't expect to need to tune an $800.00 gun........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm 

I got my Hammerli Pneuma used for what it would cost for a bottom of the barrel .22LR. Shooting match grade ammo with it costs me 4 cents per shot. It's shooting more accurately than you can with .22LR bucket ammo for sure at up to 50 yards. Math seems to add up for me.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:36 pm 

Barfman wrote:
I got my Hammerli Pneuma used for what it would cost for a bottom of the barrel .22LR. Shooting match grade ammo with it costs me 4 cents per shot. It's shooting more accurately than you can with .22LR bucket ammo for sure at up to 50 yards. Math seems to add up for me.

Well said Barfman. I guess I'll say, there's something with "airgunners" in general which makes them tinker and have their unit perform "better" regardless whether you go the top of the line units or the entry level ones. I always shoot my Anschutz 64 together with my Air Arms SL410 FAC..... Funny, I shoot the Air Arms more... ;-). Happy shooting everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:33 pm 

Without focusing on whether you prefer airguns over rimfire (this is an airgun forum after all. I think that is pretty obvious). I do agree with the OP's original point that if you are spending $800+ on a rifle, then you would expect accuracy out of the box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm 

When I got my Benjamin Discovery all I did was put a scope on it and it shot great out of the box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:01 pm 

RandyC wrote:

For the money, why are they not as good as they can be right out of the box? I can get a .22 LR for 1/4 of the $$$ of a PCP, that will out perform it in every way.

When I read the line about the .22lr I though you must of heard me say those exact words.
But Walter nailed it on the head. Our fun is all the possibilities with an airgun. To us .22lr are as boring as it gets.
When you say "why are they not as good as they can be right out of the box?" well why isn't a Chevy Sonic as good as a Bentley.
Airguns are far more complex than powderburners and can always be more sophisticated for a PRICE!
Here is a list of guns that are good (not Bentleys) out of the box.

Benjamin Marauder
Hatsan AT44
Air Arms T200
Air Force Talon
Diana P1000 ($700 at the CAF store)
Walther Dominator
Brocock Concept W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:47 pm 

A lot of PCP guns are adjusted for high power from the factory, which means they waste a lot of air. Much of the tuning is to find the sweet spot for efficiency vs power, and that sweet spot is often different for each person.

The .22LR that you get for 1/4 the price of a PCP will likely NOT have the same accuracy, though it'll have more power. Look at the .22LR forums sometime...people chasing accuracy are buying custom Lilja barrels ($400 or so) for their $700 CZ rifle, adding barrel tuners, etc.

For comparison (looking at high quality competition rifles):
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Air-Rifles.html has a price range of $1800 to $4400
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Benchrest-Rifles.html has a price range of $1500 to $4600
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Small-Bor ... ifles.html has a price range of $1400 to $5500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:52 pm 

RandyC wrote:
I'm wondering why so many PCP air guns need "tuning" to be efficient and accurate.

I've been shopping for one for quite a while, and they sure are not cheap to buy!

Every gun I've considered has tons of videos etc on how to make it shoot straight.

Is there not a PCP that for say, around $800 without scope that is ready to target shoot or whatever that doesn't make the target look like it was hit with a shotgun??

I'll beg to differ.
I've got rimfires...from $200 Marlins to a $2000 Cooper.
The Cooper shot sum MOA out of the box with good ammo.
The Marlins needed lots of work to approach this...but even with bedding, a trigger job and other work they aren't up to the Cooper.
Just like air-rifles (or anything)...the inexpensive stuff needs TLC before it shines.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:39 pm 

I think most airguners really like to tinker...

But the same could be said for most shooters. Scoot over to Rimfirecentral, and you'll tons of post of guys tinkering to improve their $200 Savage and their $2,000 Cooper... and over at TargetTalk guys are tinkering to improve their $4,000 Anschutz :mrgreen: