Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Warming up a springer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:43 pm 
Supporting Member

I've noticed that unlike my pcp's, my spring guns need a few shots to get consistent velocities and to bring the velocity up to optimum levels. I have found that my poi is lower when I first start shooting and gradually comes up to where it was when I finished my last session after 12 or 15 shots. Maybe it's because of the temperature difference going from and air conditioned house out to the hot muggy weather we are having this summer? Anyone else experience this?

I've also come to the conclusion that air rifle shooting is like golf. Just when I think I am in the groove and have all the ducks lined up on a given string of shots, or at a particular distance, the next time I feel like I can't hit the broad side of a barn door. Picking the right pellets, correct hold over, figuring out mil dots, judging distance, and parallax and hold technique, and wind gust . . . . . it can be greatly rewarding or extremely frustrating all in the same day.

I guess thats what makes it more fun for me than powder burners (which I find are much more forgiving). I do know that airgun practice has definitely made me a better shot with both my rimfire and centre-fire rifles!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:05 pm 

Shooting any type of gun consistently accurately is hard, so many ducks to align. That is what makes shooting a life time interest. If it were easy, it would soon become boring. Keep at it!

OzzieM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:09 pm 
Supporting Member

My Quest is normally very accurate with the open sights on it, and I can always count on it, but the other day it sent a few shots (5-6?) astray to begin with.

The temperature was a little cool at around 12 or 13 degrees, and my gun is kept in a steel locker in our garage which was probably under 20 degrees where the locker is located.

I put a new spring in it a short time ago, and I wondered if something had gone wrong so I put it on the Chrony. The first 10 shots were all over the place for fps. Average of 832.9 fps but an extreme spread of 44.3 fps and a standard deviation of 30.8. The 2nd 10 shots right afterwards were average 850.0 fps with a spread of 13.7 fps and standard deviation of 4.51.

Did the piston/breech seal warm up and expand? Did the spring warm up? I dunno.

I was using JSB 4.52 pellets which it usually shoots very accurately.

When I went back to shooting it was its normal self.

I've noticed before that "my" accuracy improves after a few shots, but I thought it was just me. Maybe not! :shock:

Peter :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 pm 

Yes, the first few shots through a springer that has been resting for a while may be off a bit. I have experienced this myself, specially when it's cold. Also, if it is really cold, you need warming up as well as the springer. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 pm 

This is good to know, as I have run into the same problem with my springer rifle as of recently, where the first few shots would be never on target. Usually when I shoot from cold, the first couple of shots will always tend to be 1/2" low off the mark, but after that the rifle gets back on target. I actually did not really pay much attention, and assumed it was just me or the pellet or whatever, but after some reflection that sounds like the situation with my spring rifle.
Very interesting observation!