Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:29 pm 

I decided some time ago I wanted to fine tune my S200 stock. I've never been a huge fan of it's fairly basic look, and found the grip to be quite "chunky" up front. After some thinking I decided I would strip the entire stock to allow for some easier wood carving. Figured if I was going to go that far I might as well replace the non adjustable butt pad with an adjustable one.

So I went about removing the action, barrel etc... from the stock, easy to do and I won't bore you with explanations on how to remove screws. Next step was removing the stock butt pad. Easier said than done. It is screwed to the wood with two Philips screws that are hidden but accessible through the rubber pad after searching. The pad is then glued to the stock as well, with a plastic "frame" if you will. I was able to get an exacto knife blade between the plastic frame and stick and careful carve around going deeper and deeper. Eventually I had enough cut I could carefully pry the whole thing off.
Following that I attempted to strip the finish on the gun using several different strippers, gel and liquid. None worked all that well, took the glossy finish off, and some stain but left a fair bit behind. After a few days of smelling chemicals I'd had enough and grabbed sandpaper and went to town.
After I had the majority of the stain off I set to carving the stock. I decided to add a cheek rest for some character. I traced out the shape onto the stock and grabbed a dremel and slowly cut away the wood. I used a rasp to fine tune the shape near the end.
Next I thinned out the front side of the grip until it felt more natural.
I still wasn't happy with the overall look so I opted to carve out a chunk from the rear end, contouring it to be more shapely.
Following all that I've started sanding the stock by hand with 80 grit paper. I will likely take it to 600 grit before looking at staining.
I haven't picked out a stain yet, as I'm not sure if I want to go into the darker walnut color palette, or maybe go light? I don't want to start staining until I'm certain I'm not doing any more woodwork.
Sorry, I neglected to do a step by step photo line, but here's where I'm at right now...

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 503.48 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 498.17 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 342.19 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]

Walther Lever, FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 pm 

ooops! :oops: Not my recollection of that rifle. The rest is a nice addition.

Last edited by Edmonton<500 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:07 pm 

Stock photo of the S200.

Looking for my own photos of the gun prior to the work...

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 97 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 pm 

Here is a before photo of the S200 I located, taken before the work began.

Attachments:
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG [ 154.16 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:33 pm 

I was finally able to complete the work on the S200.

After much research I decided to use aniline dye instead of stain. It was relatively easy to use after watching several instructional videos. I chose an antique walnut dye and applied it carefully. After allowing to thoroughly dry I did a very light sand to remove the grain that was raised by the water based dye. I then applied many coats of a polyurethane over the course of a week. Following the completed finishing I shaped and fitted the Bisley adjustable butt plate (the whole reason this project began).

I think everything turned out very well considering this is my first effort at refinishing a rifle stock. The inletting is now finished nicer than the factory job and the carved cheekpiece adds some aesthetic appeal and functionality. The carved grip is now narrower and much nicer to hold.

This was a lot of work and not likely something I would do on a regular basis. But, I very much like the finished product and now have a "custom" S200.

Attachments:
IMG_2109.JPG
IMG_2109.JPG [ 403.19 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:27 pm 

Very nice job, fishguy! Love the new ''old'' shade :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:29 pm 

great job on that stock.

AA S400SL FT .177 Bushnell 8-32x40
HW30s .177 Bushnell Trophy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 am 

To dat stock I say,,YOU LOOK MARBALUS !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:46 pm 

Couple more recent photos, now that it's all done.
I've got a Rowan trigger and bolt handle, the AA 10 shot mag system, Bisley adjustable butt pad, bug buster scope, and of course the re-done stock.
Still fiddling with the trigger adjustments, but overall very happy with this gun.

Attachments:
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG [ 176.62 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG [ 140.11 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG [ 122.98 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 am 

Love the stock!
I found the trigger can be massively improved by removing the adjusting screws one at a time, round off the contact points and then polish them, you can get a really smooth and predictable release for about 30 minutes work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:44 am 

timmytree wrote:
Love the stock!
I found the trigger can be massively improved by removing the adjusting screws one at a time, round off the contact points and then polish them, you can get a really smooth and predictable release for about 30 minutes work.

Thanks, I've done the screw polish job and it did improve the feel, but I'm still finding the short first stage less than smooth. Maybe it is as good as it gets, just seems a lot of guys who have done the work rave about the improvement, I don't think I'm where I should be based on that.

Other goodies!