Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Stock Refinishing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:09 pm 

One of my Venoms has seen a lot over the years and it needs a Touch up.Where does one go to get the gun stock refinished? .Do you guys do it yourself....or a gunsmith....or a woodworker?

Post subject: Re: Stock Refinishing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:33 pm 
Supporting Member 2010

I cant speak for others but I do my own.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:35 pm 

I stripped and did one myself and they seem to be birch stocks. The wood is bad for taking stain evenly and usually comes out splotchie. I opted for an oil finish and it looked ok but very white- blond colour. They often apply a paint to birch instead of stain to get some colour. It is an easy DIY job.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:27 pm 

If it is a plain piece of birch, a solid stain might work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:54 pm 

OK thanks...I'll give it a go...first I'll verify the type of wood....if I screw up......I can always order another stock..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:37 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's not Birch. Well, a guy who claimed to know told me, and all I remember is it wasn't a name I knew. Not super helpful but I'm voting no on Birch. The stain problem thing is true, and there's a post here recently that shows what happens when you try to stain it, and I believe it was a Venom. I remember it had an issue with the surfaces parallel with the grain not taking it, and places where open grain was exposed soaked up too much, which I've seen and hear many times before. I've heard a couple different ideas to have better luck, one was use conditioner first, the other was wet it so the grain is already soaked and thus it won't soak up too much stain. I dunno, I've done misc firearm stocks and had mixed results which I assume is one of many reasons that differentiate premium wood from misc crap wood. Like the difference between a nice plant and a weed is really just beauty right? I gotta weed whack all these damn Orchids, said nobody ever... And I doubt many people have issues staining nice American Walnut, but lowest bid chinese, and is the lowest bid is even the same wood every time?
I have a Trail XL a friend stained, and it looks great. Other Trail stocks appear nicer to me so I'm not sure if it's actually better wood used on those "premium" (cough cough gag) guns or maybe the mfg simply knows how to stain it better if the price is right. I've had other Crosman guns with a nice stain job, just not a great color, or just an ok stain job, and still others that have what I can only describe as watercolor paint, that like paint can literally be scraped off. The "grain" on those is really just the brush marks. So does that mean it was a lower budget gun, lower budget month, or different wood that just couldn't be stained well period?
I'm still waiting for someone to find the ideal way to do it, but also seriously considering going camo paint. I have some receivers/barrels that are neglected/rusted so camo seems like a reasonable plan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:09 pm 

Almost forgot, the mentioned pix: The Venom (top) attempted by another member recently (based on the pix'z time stamp he likely posted it this July). And a pix of my refinished XL (middle close up and just below it). The close up XL pix looks kinda oem, but the other pix shows it's clearly darker than oem. The gun at the very bottom is a Titan, which he added the white/black plastic to the grip, which was just misc scrap plastic he scrounged up and made it work, and shaped the grip so that mod looks right. Pretty cool ay? I remember the Titan had the water color kinda finish, which he scraped off with a putty knife, sanded, then stained. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details of the stain part, color prep etc. I know less about the XL. Sux because he told me the details about both but I didn't retain it. I've since emailed him but so far no re...

Attachments:
Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 1.jpg [ 159.56 KiB | Viewed 712 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:59 pm 

Geez ,the stain sure came out better than mine! Never had any trouble on my older powder guns with common wood before the Nitro Venom. Three tries with the conditioner and different applications. Just oiled it at the end. I have no trouble believing it would be some strange lumber.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's not Birch. Well, a guy who claimed to know told me, and all I remember is it wasn't a name I knew. Not super helpful but I'm voting no on Birch. The stain problem thing is true, and there's a post here recently that shows what happens when you try to stain it, and I believe it was a Venom. I remember it had an issue with the surfaces parallel with the grain not taking it, and places where open grain was exposed soaked up too much, which I've seen and hear many times before. I've heard a couple different ideas to have better luck, one was use conditioner first, the other was wet it so the grain is already soaked and thus it won't soak up too much stain. I dunno, I've done misc firearm stocks and had mixed results which I assume is one of many reasons that differentiate premium wood from misc crap wood. Like the difference between a nice plant and a weed is really just beauty right? I gotta weed whack all these damn Orchids, said nobody ever... And I doubt many people have issues staining nice American Walnut, but lowest bid chinese, and is the lowest bid is even the same wood every time?
I have a Trail XL a friend stained, and it looks great. Other Trail stocks appear nicer to me so I'm not sure if it's actually better wood used on those "premium" (cough cough gag) guns or maybe the mfg simply knows how to stain it better if the price is right. I've had other Crosman guns with a nice stain job, just not a great color, or just an ok stain job, and still others that have what I can only describe as watercolor paint, that like paint can literally be scraped off. The "grain" on those is really just the brush marks. So does that mean it was a lower budget gun, lower budget month, or different wood that just couldn't be stained well period?
I'm still waiting for someone to find the ideal way to do it, but also seriously considering going camo paint. I have some receivers/barrels that are neglected/rusted so camo seems like a reasonable plan.

Actually I never thought about painting it....maybe though a professional furniture finisher would probably best know how to finish the stock...whatever kind of wood it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 pm 

I think you mean BEECH, not birch....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!