Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:29 am 

A friend of mine recently took his old Slavia 620 apart 'cause it wasn't shooting good anymore, and found out the leather main seal was toast. He asked me if I knew where to get a new one. I didn't know, but after some google research, I found out leather seals are relatively easy to make. Usually people will use a wood ''die'' and a socket or other suitable sized punch. My friend handed me the piston and main tube so that I could take measurements. I made a metal die and punch set, and used my 6'' bench vise to form it. I used the leather out of an old athletic belt as raw material (about 1/8'' thick), et voila! A brand new seal :)

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/12/ ... ston-seal/

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=9929

Attachments:
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4883.JPG [ 221.93 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:41 am 

airmec wrote:
A friend of mine recently took his old Slavia 620 apart 'cause it wasn't shooting good anymore, and found out the leather main seal was toast. He asked me if I knew where to get a new one. I didn't know, but after some google research, I found out leather seals are relatively easy to make. Usually people will use a wood ''die'' and a socket or other suitable sized punch. My friend handed me the piston and main tube so that I could take measurements. I made a metal die and punch set, and used my 6'' bench vise to form it. I used the leather out of an old athletic belt as raw material (about 1/8'' thick), et voila! A brand new seal :)

Awesome,
You should use up the rest of the belt making more and marketing them to other members. There are a lot of Slavias out there. I believe leather ended in 1978.
t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:18 am 

tango wrote:
airmec wrote:

Awesome,
You should use up the rest of the belt making more and marketing them to other members. There are a lot of Slavias out there. I believe leather ended in 1978.
t

Hmmm... maybe, why not? I also made a new breech seal for it.

I believe this rifle is from the late '60s or early '70s, BTW. The tube and piston are in very good shape, even after all these years!

Attachments:
IMG_4884.JPG
IMG_4884.JPG [ 155.45 KiB | Viewed 1105 times ]
IMG_4886.JPG
IMG_4886.JPG [ 161.41 KiB | Viewed 1105 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:35 pm 

airmec wrote:
tango wrote:
airmec wrote:

Awesome,
t

Hmmm... maybe, why not? I also made a new breech seal for it.

I believe this rifle is from the late '60s or early '70s, BTW. The tube and piston are in very good shape, even after all these years!

I would love to know what a leather sealed 620 would crono unmoded. My memory from the early seventies had mine shooting like a rim fire. Not sure if the under 500 was in effect back then or not?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 pm 

This week-end the rifle is supposed to be put back together, and my friend asked me to bring my Chrony to check it. I'll post the results Tango :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 pm 

airmec wrote:
This week-end the rifle is supposed to be put back together, and my friend asked me to bring my Chrony to check it. I'll post the results Tango :wink:

Well? How did it go.
tz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 pm 

tango wrote:
airmec wrote:

Well? How did it go.
tz

His rifle is doing 621 avg. fps with 7.9 gr pellets, and it has the original spring 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:32 pm 

Thanks for the info. good to know. I was thinking it would be 6-700 in its stock form as pine plant penetration is much better than my sub PAL Optimus.
best regards
tango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:44 am 

What is the diameter of the seal/tube of the 620?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 pm 

I believe the tube is 26 mm. The seal I made has a 1.005'' OD, and it fitted rather tight at first in the Slavia's tube, but not too tight. The first 2 or 3 cocking stroke felt a bit hard, but after that it gave a ''normal'' feeling. Since leather is very forgiving, you'd have some room for variations in dimensions :) .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:33 am 

Too bad, it will not do it for my 624! :)

I'm going to make my own in wood for this little 624 when I put my hand on the needed tools.

Edit: And thanks for the info. :)