Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Super Soft Daisy Pellets
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:53 am 

Daisy pellets are very soft and expand...or distort....very well at the average energy of pal rated air rifles.These three were shot at a can of sand inside an outer can.(10 yards).When the fps is higher....I see good pellet distortion.On the other hand...Crosman Hollow points (not shown) are very hard and even at 700 fps look the same as the daisy at 400 fps.Very little expansion and deformation.I suspect Crosman HP s need very high fps for expansion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:31 am 

I've always liked the soft lead pellets, or thin wall skirt like Benjamin. I believe the sudden blast of air expands the skirt into the rifling faster, thus letting less air go past the pellet, and there is no doubt some air does get past.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:46 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
I've always liked the soft lead pellets, or thin wall skirt like Benjamin. I believe the sudden blast of air expands the skirt into the rifling faster, thus letting less air go past the pellet, and there is no doubt some air does get past.

You must be right...they seem to seal pretty good with that soft skirt. ... They shoot well out of my gun and I wish I could find domed pellets as soft as Daisies. I picked up 5000 D.Hollow Points instead...next best thing I guess....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:27 pm 

I find daisy pellets are like a hot dog down the hall way, Loose as heck. I only shoot them as plinking pellets because theyre cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:20 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

You must be right...they seem to seal pretty good with that soft skirt. ... They shoot well out of my gun and I wish I could find domed pellets as soft as Daisies. I picked up 5000 D.Hollow Points instead...next best thing I guess....

.177 EXACT domes are very, very similar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:52 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
I find daisy pellets are like a hot dog down the hall way, Loose as heck. I only shoot them as plinking pellets because theyre cheap.

I hear you....bought cheap Grizzly pellets one time in .177 (4000) and they were so tight I had to use the end of a screwdriver to seat them flush.Unusable as every skirt was distorted after insertion...Sold them quick.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:58 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

.177 EXACT domes are very, very similar.

Yeah I am waiting for Excite Hammers to arrive in .22....I hope they're good for long range like domed pellets because these pellets are kind of a half- dome shape....I don't know.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:44 pm 

I always have a few of those plastic "tins" of grizzly ones laying around.

A lot of airguns dont break in nicely until a tin of pellets has been run through them, or at least a couple hundred pellets anyway. I more or less try to get that done as quickly and and cheaply as I can. I see no point in blasting 500 $20.00+ per tin pellets in to the ground, or pellet trap from 10 feet when I'm cycling the action and shooting rapidly, for the SOLE purpose of breaking in the gun. It is repetitive and boring, but in "my" experience all guns have a break in period, some longer than others.

Then it comes apart and I look for metal shavings, etc. and do a quickie lube tune.

I must have half a dozen rifles, purchased between one and five years ago that I haven't even shot yet. Seriously.

Who knows, might even get lucky and find a rifle or pistol that like them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:25 pm 

I never had luck with Daisy, and a tin of pointed 14.3gr 22's I have give the least fps by far compared to others in that weight. Not sure why but I put it in the same mystery category as a barrel that shoots slow but otherwise seems fine.
The Crosman Premier hollow points will probably never open up for any reason, I think it's just a gimmick to sell pellets. The Destroyers do open up but not nearly as accurate. I always suggest H&N Crow Mag for hollow point action. Maybe the Barracuda Extreme if you have more power to launch them. The Crow Mag are really ideal imo, especially in 177.
The JSB round nose are imo the best period excluding hollow point. Some pellets make pretty good hollow points is shot backwards, like the Crosman. I used to use them like that for close range on rats, or eggs, water balloons and misc entertainment targets.
Haven't tried the new Excite but a few have posted that they're great, so let us know....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 am 

Just ordered 6 tins of these yesterday. They were on sale at 10 bucks a tin. They are reasonably soft as well, but somewhere between the Daisy and antimony laden CPHP.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:24 pm 

More lead in daisys... The excite pellets are as hard as h&n's but retain shape in a pocket ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 pm 

The JSB "seem" the softest to me, but that may simply be the impression I have due to the very thin skirts that bend easily, which may be why Cros Premier seem hard? I also have some 3% antimony lead shot that seems harder than any pellet, but is it? I don't suppose anyone has an actual tool (maybe at work) to measure?
IT: I may have mentioned this before, but if you take the gun apart and tune it properly then it's basically broke in. It's a bit of work but something to consider vs all the time spent shooting it 500x, plus it'll be better than any amt of shooting will do. Some people shoot a whole tin of pellets only to discover the gun isn't cooperating so they send it back and start over. If you take them apart you can usually fix any issues, or at least make them better, then you know very quickly if it's a dud or not. You were going to take it part anyway so it's a thought... For me there's two main things that warrant a return, a bad barrel or bad gas spring, both of which are imo easier to just buy a replacement than deal with returning it, and certainly so if they don't cover shipping.
Good choice on the pellets. If I was forced to have only one pellet for the rest of my life that JSB 8.44 would be it.