Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 pm 

I like the fact these can be folded up and placed against the wall, thus freeing up space. Wonder if anyone uses them and can comment on any handicaps these have? Below is a pic from Cabelas' site, one goes for $99, the other $150. Comments?

Attachments:
shooting-benches.jpg
shooting-benches.jpg [ 35.86 KiB | Viewed 684 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:10 pm 

I think it's cheaper to make your own. 3/4" plywood and a pair of folding legs or threaded pipe for legs.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:20 pm 

Agreed, sure I could build one for a lot less than a hundred bux. But this would be in a pretty visible area and the nice thing about these commercial ones is that they don't look like eyesores (at least the first one in the pic doesn't). You just gave me an idea, I have this old drafting table from pre CAD days that could actually work rather well. Will dig it up and see how it works. Bit of an eyesore but if I recall it can be stashed away when not in use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:12 pm 

Simple 1/2" or thicker plywood cut-out - Candian Tire folding legs - screw together - paint of verathane, ployurethane or stock finish - done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:28 pm 

Great tip Daryl, and only $20 for the legs. Have plenty here I can use for the top, including the drafting table top. And easy to stash away in a non eyesoric type of way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:58 pm 

Daryl's table look very similar to mine. I do have an extra top if you are interested Joolz. All you have to buy are legs.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:13 pm 

Castle, that sounds great - but before committing I have one thing in mind I want to try first. Failing that I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:30 pm 

I can tell you I've sat on the left model at Cabelas - wobbly at best and not built to give owners confidence in its life expectancy. But I weigh over 200 lbs - you probably don't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:30 pm 

I own the one on the right. Excellent table. Solid, not ridiculously heavy so still portable. Adjustable positioning for seat distance to table. Padded seat, padded table where your arms rest. Cup holders for drinks or ammo, and the included gun rest is also height and angle adjustable.
I got mine as a gift so I didn't have to cough up any money for it. But if I had to do it over again and pay for it myself, I would.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 pm 

That was my thought too, that the cheaper one wasn't all that stable given the design of the leg. Was tempted to stop by Cabela's to try them out but with the ideas shared here I see that making my own can save me a pile of dough. Heck, until mentioned here I had no idea one could buy foldable legs at Can Tire. This opens up a door I didn't know was there. Am definitely not pursuing the commercial/ready-made ones anymore.

Am also pursuing an idea that I hope will come about tomorrow that I'm sure if pans out, will be as unique as it gets. Will share how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 am 
Supporting Member

topic71681.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:44 pm 

Len's table is on the left in the picture, mine on the right. I use this table for checking zeros as well, before the rat shoot. It is stable enough to allow sub 1", 5 shot groups at a lasered 200yards from my first Marlin .17HMR. The new one isn't quite as accurate, barely making 1 1/2", at the same range. I guess what I am saying, is that these benches with the CT legs are solid, without wobble. Both Len and I are well over 220lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 pm 

Lots of different plans on line

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm 

Here is address where you can see a real neat shooting bench. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij0R5vuT1Wk

Here is the plan for those who feel adventurous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:48 pm 

I bought a Can Tire cheap folding table for the girls to shoot in the garage. It was in the tool area. Now I throw it in the Jeep and use it on Crown land target sessions with one of those common folding three legged stools, mine came from Lee Valley. It also works as a great little home project work table.