Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:50 am 

Hi gang,
While breaking in my Benji Legacy I noticed good groups but about a 3-4 inch vertical difference between resting on a beanbag vs handheld where the groups landed...

Normal thing?

Thanks

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:07 am 

Sounds like perhaps you were resting the barrel on something, is that the case? It is essential that you rest the gun on the same spot as your hand holds it. And with springers and nitro pistons it is further essential that the rest be floated, not restraining the rifle's recoil. Resting the barrel will bend it upwards, the degree depending on the individual model and of course on just how far forward you rest it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:10 am 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Hi gang,
While breaking in my Benji Legacy I noticed good groups but about a 3-4 inch vertical difference between resting on a beanbag vs handheld where the groups landed...

Normal thing?

Thanks

In my experience, usually only with a springer, and yours is probably a Nitro Piston gas ram?

Of course you are only resting on the forestock and no part of the action or barrel right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:30 pm 

Awesome - both of you are correct - I was resting the barrel!

I am relieved - thanks ~

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:53 pm 

What is really cool is that you had the wherewithal to ask the question in the first place.....rather than giving up and putting the rifle away forever as "inaccurate" or "junk".

Consistency is also key here...try and rest it on the same place every time...then when you are getting good groups you can try 5 or 6 different pellets and I'm certain the gun will like one kind more than the others.

It takes awhile, but its the most fun part for me...finding a pellet that goes an inch at 20 yards when all the rest are 2" plus :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 pm 

You will find it does not matter where the gun is rested, the poi will be different when hand held versus bag rested. The only time I have found it to be near the same, is when rested in your palm on a bag. Don't forget, rested,,not held.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:41 pm 

When benching my big guns, I hold the forend as if I was shooting offhand, and rest the back of my hand on the sand-bag or rest. That way, the point of impact is the same as when hunting. If the forend is not held and allowed to bounce, differences up to 12" can be see between the range and shot from hunting positions. The worse I've had was 11-12" difference at 100 meters using a Model 94 Winchester in .45 Colt - benched and offhand sighted.

My HW springers 98 and 97, when resting the forend on the bag shoot very well indeed. They are not as touchy to different holds, like many other springers seem to be.