Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 pm 

I got a member here wanting to purchase a PAL rated airgun from me. This is what he gave me to prove. I removed his name. Everything else he blacked out.

It reeks of FAKE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:22 pm 

I would have to say no . I would ask for a picture of the card in color .

HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW30 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX 22
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Benji 392 steroid
Sears Roebuck 1400 restomod
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:49 pm 

Very simple answer to this ... call the CFO for your province and ask them if it is acceptable. They will tell you what you need.
800-731-4000 (for Canada and the United States)

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:58 pm 

Stihltech wrote:
Very simple answer to this ... call the CFO for your province and ask them if it is acceptable. They will tell you what you need.
800-731-4000 (for Canada and the United States)

Name, DOB and PAL number, are what you need. No PAL number no verification.

I find it fishy that this member blacked out even where it says License. He said that CAF admins told him to.

Quote:
-Please find enclosed copy of my PAL with only # block as that what your
suppose to do (From CAF administrators)." Only give PAL # out To licensed dealers."
Robert, not telling you what to do,

Quote:
Hi Robert, don't get me wrong I just being careful and follow the CAF. they have it
posted under " How to Purchase Firearms Rated air rifles from other members"

Now I cannot find this so called thread.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:53 pm 

If it is a forum member you could check him out on the feedback section. Also you could ask for a selfie picture of him holding the PAL.
As a seller you only have to see that he has a valid PAL, you do not have to have his number.
As a buyer, I would not like to send someone my number. Even stores do not have the right to record your number.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:08 pm 

Watertown wrote:
If it is a forum member you could check him out on the feedback section. Also you could ask for a selfie picture of him holding the PAL.
As a seller you only have to see that he has a valid PAL, you do not have to have his number.
As a buyer, I would not like to send someone my number. Even stores do not have the right to record your number.

Feedback section isn't going to tell me he bought a PAL rated airgun before.

Yes I only look at you got a license. But if your going to send a picture with everything blacked out. Than I need to do the other method of confirming. Because the picture doesn't confirm anything.

Last edited by leadslinger on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:19 pm 

Agreed, but Provincial CFOs will tell you all that is required is PAL # and DOB. Your dilligence is there fore done. The buyers legal responsibility is to have a Valid PAL. Very simple transaction.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:45 pm 

Whitewolf wrote:
Agreed, but Provincial CFOs will tell you all that is required is PAL # and DOB. Your dilligence is there fore done. The buyers legal responsibility is to have a Valid PAL. Very simple transaction.

This is a CAF member that sent me that blacked out photo. It was enough sketchy-ness to contact police friends. Not sure were he got the info from, to black out everything. But Its totally incorrect.

If someone can point me toward on here that he got his info from, please send it to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:32 pm 

Call the RCMP hotline and validate...
If/when something sounds fishy, I just stop at the local cop-shop.

And personally, I always ship to the address associated with the PAL #

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 pm 

A few years ago I sent a scan of my PAL to a seller. Turn out to be a scammer who used my card pic to do internet gun transactions. I only give out the needed info in written form now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:18 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Call the RCMP hotline and validate...
If/when something sounds fishy, I just stop at the local cop-shop.

And personally, I always ship to the address associated with the PAL #

Super fishy that he blacks out that its a firearm license.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:06 am 

Still feel fishy to me as well

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:07 am 

I decided to pull from selling to this member. Too sketchy in my books.

The member in question joined here in 2010. I went as far back as page 20 in the feedback JAN 2015 and no feedback for this person.

With his sketchy PAL photo I would beware of this member.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:56 am 

Seems to me, all you NEED to do is to ask if he has a P.A.L. If the answer is Yes - your due diligence has been satisfied. You do not need to SEE anything. You are not a licensed vender, but a private individual who is selling something. seems to me, this was all noted here on the site some time ago. If this is wrong, then make a correction showing the actual sections, subsections etc. from the code.

Gun shows are a mite different, where I ask to SEE the P.A.L. comparing the photo to the man or woman showing it, along with noting the expiry date is valid. I record nothing of the transaction as I, as a private citizen do not have to record information.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:07 am 

Daryl wrote:
Seems to me, all you NEED to do is to ask if he has a P.A.L. If the answer is Yes - your due diligence has been satisfied. You do not need to SEE anything. You are not a licensed vender, but a private individual who is selling something. seems to me, this was all noted here on the site some time ago. If this is wrong, then make a correction showing the actual sections, subsections etc. from the code.

Gun shows are a mite different, where I ask to SEE the P.A.L. comparing the photo to the man or woman showing it, along with noting the expiry date is valid. I record nothing of the transaction as I, as a private citizen do not have to record information.

Till something happens, and they said well did you see it? or did you confirm? Well I asked him if he had one. Its not due diligence. Its not enough to protect myself.

Daryl you go on CGN and try to buy a firearm w/o a copy of the PAL, or Name and Pal number and see what answers you get. Try FTF deal w/o showing your PAL. I'm doing what ive done for the last 15 years and the 400 + firearms I bought and sold. Making sure the person buying is licensed. If he refuses to show me his PAL ( online or in person ) or in this case a CLEAR picture, or refuses to give me his PAL number for me to call the RCMP, I'm not dealing.

I don't record nothing either. If they send me a picture I delete it or if I call the RCMP write down the number and shred it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next