Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:42 pm 
Supporting Member

I recently bought an Air Hawk, and it's extremely accurate, but to make it that way, I did a little "work".

I've only been shooting for a couple of years, and luckily for me I found this website early on. I've learned a ton and I find that "working" on my air guns (I don't have any expensive ones, just Chinese) is a huge part of my enjoyment of the sport. The first time I cock an inexpensive air gun it feels/sounds like dry metal on metal even though they're full of goo. (Do the expensive ones feel like that too? I don't know.) When I'm done with lube tuning, piston lining, trigger modding etc., it doesn't feel like that any more.

I live an hours drive away from anyone who could help me in person, but this web site, and occasionally other sites have kept me going and enjoying the journey.

If you like to "fiddle and tweek" (all of my air guns pretty much "needed" that for me to enjoy them) about everything you need to know is somewhere on this site, and if you need to know something more, there are people here who love to help and really know their stuff.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:02 pm 

PeterG wrote:
I recently bought an Air Hawk, and it's extremely accurate, but to make it that way, I did a little "work".

I've only been shooting for a couple of years, and luckily for me I found this website early on. I've learned a ton and I find that "working" on my air guns (I don't have any expensive ones, just Chinese) is a huge part of my enjoyment of the sport. The first time I cock an inexpensive air gun it feels/sounds like dry metal on metal even though they're full of goo. (Do the expensive ones feel like that too? I don't know.) When I'm done with lube tuning, piston lining, trigger modding etc., it doesn't feel like that any more.

I live an hours drive away from anyone who could help me in person, but this web site, and occasionally other sites have kept me going and enjoying the journey.

If you like to "fiddle and tweek" (all of my air guns pretty much "needed" that for me to enjoy them) about everything you need to know is somewhere on this site, and if you need to know something more, there are people here who love to help and really know their stuff.

Peter :D

My Air Hawk arrived yesterday afternoon and lucky for me, I took the afternoon off.

It's raining like crazy around here, so was only able to set up a makeshift garage range and that's only about 20' from me to target. (I can probably squeeze and extra 5' in if I come up with a more permanent target holder.)

Anyway, right from the first shot, I was impressed. Using the open sights, it was dialled in and hitting my exact spot I was aiming for over 50% of the time. Maybe not that impressive being only 20' away, but from an unsupported standing position, I was impressed.

Out of the box, it seemed well lubed and after 200 pellets or so yesterday, I can honestly say I'm 100% satisfied this far. :)

How often should it be re-lubed/cleaned? Pelgun oil??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:57 pm 

shinyrhinostudio wrote:
but from an unsupported standing position, I was impressed.

You fired 200 shots out of a 10 pounder (guess a bit less since you removed the scope) from a standing, unsupported position? Man, you must have a strong back with tree trunk for arms.

Nice platform, but like Peter Griffin (sorry, can't resist) said, it could use work. Mine's been collecting dust waiting for me to finally tweak it, first thing is a full power springs and a Chevota tune job - then I strongly believe this will become my fave gun. Although I doubt I'd be shooting this thing standing up.
Enjoy. Did you get it from Walmart online? Best price anywhere at $99. Mine came with free shipping, wonder if they still offer it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:03 pm 

Joolz wrote:
shinyrhinostudio wrote:
but from an unsupported standing position, I was impressed.

You fired 200 shots out of a 10 pounder (guess a bit less since you removed the scope) from a standing, unsupported position? Man, you must have a strong back with tree trunk for arms.

Nice platform, but like Peter Griffin (sorry, can't resist) said, it could use work. Mine's been collecting dust waiting for me to finally tweak it, first thing is a full power springs and a Chevota tune job - then I strongly believe this will become my fave gun. Although I doubt I'd be shooting this thing standing up.
Enjoy. Did you get it from Walmart online? Best price anywhere at $99. Mine came with free shipping, wonder if they still offer it.

Ha! Not a chance I could have fired 200 rounds all at once. That was 3 separate sessions. It is a BEAST! On the 3rd session, I was definitely exhibiting signs of fatigue. Accuracy was suffering, but I was still having fun.

I'll get real good and used to it as is, and then start looking to make mods as I realize what could be better. At this point, I have nothing to compare it too, other than my air rifle from when I was a kid, and this thing is already in another league. I'm sure as I progress, I'll begin to uncover its areas that require improvement, but to get into this, this is a pretty solid choice for first rifle.

Sadly, I noticed Walmarts $99 price tag just after I purchased online for $121 from replicaairguns.com. This <500FPS model was listed on Cabela's for $199, so I was all over $121. Was quite surprised to see it for $99, but I can definitely live with paying $22 more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:08 pm 

Yes, it is a lot of machine for a mere $99, especially if you can get free shipping. Nice open sights despite it being fibre optics, lovely wood (and I'm not even fan of wood) and a scope that some say is junk, others that it works. Can't really comment as I only had mine mounted for a few shots. Can't think of a better value for the money when it comes to springers.

Much like you I too have nothing to compare it to as I don't have any German guns, or for that matter a finely tuned Chinese one. My impression of it is that it's damn heavy and long, at 44". A real beast that definitely needs taming (mine isn't broken in yet). In your case I'd say enjoy it and continue shooting it as it will only improve. Best way to see and appreciate the difference later on when you take it apart (recommend looking up posts by Chevota and/or contacting him for a copy of his tune bible)

I definitely want to invest the time in mine and think it'd be a good idea to get a full power spring for it. Thanks to DIY that leadslinger posted, I'm not as terrified to tear it apart. Oh and never use Pellgun oil in a springer, as per your previous inquiry.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:12 pm 

Thanks for the info, Joolz. I'll definitely look into the tune bible and may upgrade the spring down the line, but at this point, until the winter comes and goes, I'll likely be stuck shooting indoors in the garage so increasing velocity won't be my best move. I'll wait until Spring for a spring. ;)