Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:12 pm 

Hi all,

For the past while I gave serious thought about joining Airgun community. Currently trying to decide on a decent air gun for indoor range shooting. So far watched tons of reviews, came to conclusion that more common air guns are Walther CP88, Colt 1911 and Bereta Elite 2 (all made by UMAREX). I will visit Al Flaherty's sometimes over weekend to feel them in hand, but I would like to get some advice from forum members on what is the best pick ? (quality made, non-toy looking, etc.) Price range $300-$600. Nice solid gun, almost real like feel preferred :)

2. Any recommend shooting ranges to attend within Toronto or GTA?

Appreciate any suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:00 pm 

Myself, I am not much a fan of CO2 power plants. Definitely, to each their own. If you're interested in spending up to the $600 mark, have a look at the Weihrauch HW45. It's certainly not toy like and is build to last. It has a very nice feel, great trigger and can accommodate .177, .20 and .22 calibers. However it is a single shot, spring piston pistol which is an acquired taste.

There was a used one for sale on here a few days ago.. not sure of its status at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:27 pm 

I would suggest that the Beretta Elite II ( a low cost pistol) does not compare with the first two that interest you.
With the budget you have in mind , I am sure other members will guide you so that you will not make an unwise choice.
I assume you are in the GTA and may want to check ARK Army Surplus website and /or visit their store to examine the large
selection they carry ( if they have any in your substantial budget) as well as other established online dealers.
In any case take your time to evaluate your options.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 pm 

Thanks so much guys. I really do not know much about air guns, most youtube reviews I watched were CO2 guns... If there are any alternatives I would gladly take a look. I want a gun to be real like, price is not a question, I will keep it a while. Any suggestions, please share away. Would prefer German or U.S made guns, I have great passion for German engineering.

Thanks for ARK Army Surplus store, I will check them out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:08 am 

At that price range, your options are virtually endless. I'm with ten-ring on the Elite - garbage compared to the other two. The CP88 is a long-respected entry in the accuracy/reliability/realism categories. I would say the Colt 1911 is an alternative, but not necessarily the best of the options to compete against the CP88. It all depends on your priorities: accuracy or realism? (for example). Many of the most amazing replicas are C02 airsoft or BB guns, which, of course. are less accurate than pellet guns. The CP88, for example, is a very realistic looking pellet gun that can shoot .5" groups at 10 meters, but it does not function anything at all like the real, semi-automatic pistol; whereas the Tanfoglio Witness, a 1911-style air pistol that everyone must own for its realism alone (in both looks and operation), is a BB gun that is sufficiently accurate to shoot cans at ten paces, but that's about it.

So, what are the most important factors to you? For $600 you could buy 2-4 beautifully realistic guns that shoot well. But what should we consider in our recommendations other than realism? Will it just be a showpiece, or will you expect to hit something with it? Would you consider a polymer semi-auto replica? Would you consider BB or Airsoft? Would a revolver be of any interest. Would a classic gun from the past (say an 1873 Colt single-action revolver) or a period gun from another country (from Gletcher, for example) fit the bill?

Let us know and we'll come up with better suggestions for you. And by the way, welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:31 am 

Perhaps he meant the Beretta 92 from Umarex, which is up there with the 88 and 1911. Of them all, I'd go with the 88. They are all rotary mag revolvers though so apart from the weight and feel in the hand, not so realistic in terms of action. If that is important then there are BB shooters but then accuracy goes down as stated. For close range target and fun shooting, airsoft (the dark side...) is worth a look. I have a KJW KP-05 that indoors (i.e. no wind) at 20 feet is probably as accurate as a pellet shooter. Pretty safe and easy to use too; you can make a trap out of a cardboard box and an old shirt.
Is the GTA airgun club still active; could be some try-out possibilities there?
Outside of CO2, +1 for HW45.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:40 am 

I have the Umarex H&K P30 and it's a sweet little shooter. Like the CP88 it isn't a blowback and uses the 8 shot rotary mags. The double action trigger is a bit long and heavy (but I've learned how to compensate for that) But single action is awesome.
Accuracy wise, at 20ft I can pretty much stack pellets with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:43 pm 

Having a few pistols myself, and owning the ones of which I speak,
I would buy a Magnum Research Desert Eagle, for shear fun, blowback, power and great accuracy for a C02 gun.
If You like revolvers, nothing in C02 compares to the S&W 5/686-6 in power and accuracy.
I do love my Walther CP88comp too.
Either of these guns cost would leave your budget with plenty left over for a Beeman P17 the standard
of the sport, for low cost and accuracy, a gun every shooter should own. No C02!
All these guns are of course Pellet.
Do visit Tony a ARK Army surplus, but check website for hours of operation, I believe Closed Sat. open Sun.?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 am 

Weihrauch HW45 is indeed a beastly non-PAL airgun. Because of it, I went on another step to buy a Beeman P1. Sure are costly, but if you want long lasting reliable air pistols look no further. Happy with both of my purchases. Highly recommend single stroke pneumatic or a springer.

C02 pistols, in my view, are to stay away from. They may be fraction of the cost but you'll sure as hell make up for it in gas cartridges, and more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:57 am 

vortex619 wrote:
Weihrauch HW45 is indeed a beastly non-PAL airgun. Because of it, I went on another step to buy a Beeman P1. Sure are costly, but if you want long lasting reliable air pistols look no further. Happy with both of my purchases. Highly recommend single stroke pneumatic or a springer.

C02 pistols, in my view, are to stay away from. They may be fraction of the cost but you'll sure as hell make up for it in gas cartridges, and more.

Oh c'mon now....with what we spend on this hobby you're worried about a few lousy bucks for C02????

What about people who have bad wrist or shoulder joints? Not too much fun trying to cock a single stroke powerful pistol.

Just because YOU take issue with with spending a few bucks on C02 doesn't mean you should warn others away from them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 am 

ITGUY wrote:
vortex619 wrote:

Oh c'mon now....with what we spend on this hobby you're worried about a few lousy bucks for C02????

What about people who have bad wrist or shoulder joints? Not too much fun trying to cock a single stroke powerful pistol.

Just because YOU take issue with with spending a few bucks on C02 doesn't mean you should warn others away from them.

Hey,

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, thats why I said "in my view". You do make a point about some may be having difficulties cocking those.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 am 

I should have toned it down. Sorry.

Occasionally I write what I'm thinking, rather than edit in my mind before I type.