Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:48 pm 

Hi all,

Some may have read my other recent post, but figured I'd start another topic about was to practice, techniques to practice and how to monitor that improvement?

New to shooting and I've had an air rifle (Ruger Air Hawk, Non-PAL version) for all of 24 hrs and I've fired about 250 through it now. It's a weighty rifle but I've done most of those 250 standing unsupported at a distance of 22ft, and this morning I was able to make a more permanent backstop 25 feet away from where I stand.

Questions I have...

So far, I'm happy with my progress but want to know what the techniques to practice when I shoot. Currently, I'm attempting to remember to breathe from diaphragm, keeping my head locked out target then bring rifle up to my eye, keeping both eyes open and focusing on front sight with dominant eye, using finger pad for trigger pull and trying not to anticipate shot.

It's lots to remember, but it's coming along. Especially the speed of obtaining sight picture and sight alignment.

Here's my "5 shot group" progress thus far after ~250 shots fired. Image

Fully open to suggestions, tips, and critique on the things I'm choosing to focus on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:35 am 

Quote:
Re: Best way to monitor improvement?

Shoot for, and record score.

Download the 10m air rifle target (some can even be scaled) and record your score for every target.

You will clearly see when you're having a good night, versus the other kind. :wink:

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:56 am 

Great idea. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:29 am 

I'm assuming you are remembering the military hold as well ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:23 am 

X2

With springers, the first trick is to learn how the rifle wants to be held; they're all fussy - to different degrees. Google "artillery hold," "shooting springer air guns," or related topics to learn the basics of this type of air rifle. Some (meaning many) thoroughly enjoy the challenge of mastering control of a particular springer airgun (as in the particular rifle you are holding at the moment), while others (myself included, to be honest), chose to shoot with less temperamental platforms.

To improve your results with your Air Hawk, grab some info on the artillery hold (As joe meant to say), and mark your progress in group sizes from there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:20 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
X2

With springers, the first trick is to learn how the rifle wants to be held; they're all fussy - to different degrees. Google "artillery hold," "shooting springer air guns," or related topics to learn the basics of this type of air rifle. Some (meaning many) thoroughly enjoy the challenge of mastering control of a particular springer airgun (as in the particular rifle you are holding at the moment), while others (myself included, to be honest), chose to shoot with less temperamental platforms.

To improve your results with your Air Hawk, grab some info on the artillery hold (As joe meant to say), and mark your progress in group sizes from there.

I'll google it now. I may have come across it already. Thinking it's something about a loose weak side grip... Off to look it up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 am 

Yes, not to grip the rifle at all with the off hand, but rather to keep an open palm. You will probably read that in the artillery hold.. there can be a lot to remember as you say before taking the shot, have fun finding what works for you.

On a side note.. from a hunting background, I've started to shoot almost as soon as I become on target. Takes a lot of practice to know that you're confident enough to hit your intended target right where you want to. Game doesn't wait for you to have a clear shot. I don't think this really applies to target shooting, which I am not very knowledgeable in the area of... however it is fun to target shoot almost as soon as you get target acquisition and to try and improve your speed skills. Pellets are cheaper than cased ammo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:18 pm 

offroad720 wrote:
Yes, not to grip the rifle at all with the off hand, but rather to keep an open palm. You will probably read that in the artillery hold.. there can be a lot to remember as you say before taking the shot, have fun finding what works for you.

On a side note.. from a hunting background, I've started to shoot almost as soon as I become on target. Takes a lot of practice to know that you're confident enough to hit your intended target right where you want to. Game doesn't wait for you to have a clear shot. I don't think this really applies to target shooting, which I am not very knowledgeable in the area of... however it is fun to target shoot almost as soon as you get target acquisition and to try and improve your speed skills. Pellets are cheaper than cased ammo.

Ya, I would say that I'm headed in that direction. I like the idea of being accurate as possible while still being somewhat quick about it. I may likely head down the hunting path so will likely approach practicing from a practical perspective of accuracy AND speed but without hastiness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:25 pm 

Take your time, the tortoise does win the race after all

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:10 pm 

There are plenty of tutorial available to become a better position shooter.

To monitor your improvement.
- Find some ISSF target, that will punch clean holes
- Download the TargetScan app on your cell/tablet

It will score/measure/archive your groups... and it will even tell you what sight correction you need to do to centre the group :bear: