Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:48 am 

So I bought a Ruger Airhawk, a Diana clone and generally 1 that has very high ratings for a Chinese built air gun. It seems to be accurate and easy to prime even with the 1000 model spring. i like the trigger. My biggest complaint is the almost club like stock. Nothing elegant about that stock yet few seem to comment on this. I am thinking I should find a used Blackhawk stock and buy or trade for my wood unit. I simply cannot get my hands around this rifle. I need 2 hands simply to lift it securely. The Crosman Quest also has the thicker stock but my hands manage this model easy enough. Its too bad Umarex has no stock like the Crosman Optimus which is truely Diana 34 like.
Has anyone tried to sand off one of these stocks to make them less bulky? The calking effort seems light enough that all that extra wood seems unnecessary for strength.
I need to shoot this unit more but my first impression is that the velocity is less than my comparable Crosmans. I doubt the scope will have any issues with the mild recoils And though branded by Ruger I have noticed many of the barrels seem to be drilled a bit off center. Something Crosman quality control seems to have conquered. Other than the Ruger trademarks it probably came off the same assembly line as the Umarex Surge. A plus is the Ruger has open sites installed, unlike the Surge.
Once i get my stock sorted out I should have a very nice 34 clone, my first, though i have several Crosmans. My Pantom 22 being the ideal grouse hunting outfit with the perfect stock.
just my personal impression for what its worth.
tz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 pm 

I put one of the ones I purchased in a Surge stock. The two fore end screws may be different slightly in length, I don't know since I used the Umarex Surge stock screws.

Agree with you on the Ruger stock....I was planning to chop it down some on another Air Hawk (youth Christmas present) but have decided not to. Too much work, and that grip is very wide. Easier to just buy a youth rifle. Decided to give the Air Hawk to middle son.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 pm 

Quote:
. . .Phantom . . .with the perfect stock . . .

My Phantom would like to be my favorite rifle, but I just can't get past the horrible ergo's of the stock. . . .
I must be oddly proportioned, because I've read of others praising the configuration as well as yourself. . . .
LOP is a little too generous, but the trigger reach is far and away my least favorite.

Other than the aforementioned barrel concentricity of the Ruger, would you suggest that the other mechanicals(fit/finish) are a step above/below or parallel to the Crosman hardware?

In'it funny how the forum flags 'Crosman' and 'Ruger' as misspelled words?!? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:30 pm 

vAgRaNt wrote:
Quote:
. . .Phantom . . .with the perfect stock . . .

My Phantom would like to be my favorite rifle, but I just can't get past the horrible ergo's of the stock. . . .
I must be oddly proportioned, because I've read of others praising the configuration as well as yourself. . . .
LOP is a little too generous, but the trigger reach is far and away my least favorite.

Other than the aforementioned barrel concentricity of the Ruger, would you suggest that the other mechanicals(fit/finish) are a step above/below or parallel to the Crosman hardware?

In'it funny how the forum flags 'Crosman' and 'Ruger' as misspelled words?!? :lol:

I am by no means any expert on any of this but I would give the edge to a Crosman over the Umerex with my very limited experience, but thats just me. They seem close. My Crosman Optimus is a real beauty for the price.
Course they dont compare with the great, mostly European classics.
BTW, its the one handed grab of the Crosman Phantom, combined with light weight and all weather material that make it my go to hunter, as well as being .22
I admit i hated the gun when viewed from the store box picture until I actually shot it. If wally world had not been giving them away I would have never known what a great little gun it was.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:50 pm 
Supporting Member

I really like my Air Hawk, and I was one of those who got an off-centred barrel.

I returned the barrel, and while I waited for the replacement (which came quickly from R&R Airgun and is perfect) I modified the stock by planning down the top so that the front of the "cheek piece" slopes down to the top of the rubber butt pad. Then I carved the butt pad a little to follow the line so it looked nice. The slope looks a bit like an HW 50s in profile.

I use a UTG rear peep sight and a modified front sight, and the change in the stock allowed me to get a lower sight line, and made the gun a lot easier to shoot.

Peter :D

PS: I too have a Phantom (Chevota modded to nitro-piston). The ergonomics work really well for me, and I agree; it's a great shooter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 pm 

PeterG wrote:
I really like my Air Hawk, and I was one of those who got an off-centred barrel.

I returned the barrel, and while I waited for the replacement (which came quickly from R&R Airgun and is perfect) I modified the stock by planning down the top so that the front of the "cheek piece" slopes down to the top of the rubber butt pad. Then I carved the butt pad a little to follow the line so it looked nice. The slope looks a bit like an HW 50s in profile.

I use a UTG rear peep sight and a modified front sight, and the change in the stock allowed me to get a lower sight line, and made the gun a lot easier to shoot.

PS: I too have a Phantom (Chevota modded to nitro-piston). The ergonomics work really well for me, and I agree; it's a great shooter.

Its nice to see that some have the courage to do serious modifications. Maybe Ill do te same but would be inclined to remove a 1/2 inch of wood from the front of the trigger guard, slight up angle for about 6 inches. Heck I only have a 100 dollars into it, it just may become my new fav.
I love my powder burning rugers a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05 pm 

tango wrote:
. . . but I would give the edge to a Crosman over the Umerex with my very limited experience. . .

Thanks. Good to know. There was one for sale on Kijiji here locally, and though I never went to see/handle it, I was wondering how I should handle the situation if it should arise again in the future. You've helped me with that decision!

I have intentions of making a 2078 style stock for my 1760; if after accomplishing it there's a decent enough blank remaining, I might have a go at a similar shaped stock for my Phantom. It shoots well enough to justify the experiment. Love the ergos of the target style stocks. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:43 am 

I like the Airhawk over the phantom. Machined better, cocking effort is less, better trigger. Sights are less cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:51 am 

leadslinger wrote:
I like the Airhawk over the phantom. Machined better, cocking effort is less, better trigger. Sights are less cheap.

I agree the trigger is much better on the Ruger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:22 pm 

So I just spent the weekend out shooting my Ruger as well as a few Crosmans to compare. The full power Ruger is amazingly easy to caulk, seems like 1/2 the effort of a full power Quest. That said my Quest seems to have slightly better penetration so I assume a bit more power. The Ruger though easily shoots 3/4 inch off hand 5 shot groups while my Quest is all over the place. I will need to experiment with different pellet on that Crosman before calling it a dud.
The phantom 22 shot a 4 inch group with all holes touching another and 1 flyer 2 inches away. The penetration seemed best of all.
Fun, non scientific day.
My fav 22 is the Phantom, but the Ruger is my fav 177 right now. Both ave the best power/accuracy of my collection for each caliber.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm 
Site Moderator

Does anyone know how the 495fps Ruger Airhawk is detuned? Is it simply the spring size? I found a deal on an AH but it's a Canuck version and won't be enough for my needs.

Thanks,
Todd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:15 pm 

TCooper wrote:
Does anyone know how the 495fps Ruger Airhawk is detuned? Is it simply the spring size? I found a deal on an AH but it's a Canuck version and won't be enough for my needs.

Thanks,
Todd

Spring. Which is like 43$ shipped from R&R repair. Its a much larger spring by at least 2" and thicker coils.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:26 pm 

tango wrote:
PeterG wrote:

Its nice to see that some have the courage to do serious modifications. Maybe Ill do te same but would be inclined to remove a 1/2 inch of wood from the front of the trigger guard, slight up angle for about 6 inches. Heck I only have a 100 dollars into it, it just may become my new fav.
I love my powder burning rugers a lot.

Did you know you can get a thumb hole stock for it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:49 pm 

vAgRaNt: I too dislike the Phantom stock, but an option might be to mod it, which I did. I cut the pistol grip down, and some off the front and slightly modded the front left corner so I could access the barrel screw. Plus removed all the awful braille. I still want to shave some of the belly off up front but since I still dislike it I think I'm done. One note is once sanded it'll have a flat and lighter finish so I oiled it to get the look oem semi gloss back. I tried melting it with a torch but it wants to burn rather than melt. Maybe a chemical would do the trick but too much hassle to figure out.
Fyi if anyone isn't aware, you can order Crosman stocks so others like the Trail/Classic, Regal, Venom etc can all be had. Obviously you need to buy the same base model, so verify before ordering. I've only prices a few wood ones and they seem to be in the $22 to 30US range, which I assume means $44-60CA. The Trail hardwood and Regal are my personal favs. The Regal was ~23US, Trail ~28US. Unlike most if not all others the Regal has a clear coat. The Trail will no doubt be rather light and may even be a bit on the yellow side but you can always stain it. They also have a a bunch of syn stocks which I assume would be cheaper?

Tango; the Optimus can likely be improved if willing to do some work. Imo it's usually the barrel. The scope can be a factor but I think most everyone knows how to remedy that? The barrel mod (sanding the bore) is kinda intimidating, so I'm told, but the way I see it is people have nothing to lose. Or just buy another which should be ~$31CA? If you want info on the barrel sanding just ask; chevota at hotmail. It's a whole tuning pkg so no doubt something in there is useful.

Not sure about the Diana clone stocks but I'd try flyingdragonairrifles.org. I think the XS25S aka Blackhawk stock is very nice. Looks great, feels great, even has some dampening effect to it since the plastic is not hard.
The Ruger Air Hawk Elite has a thumbhole, but imo needs some cosmetic reshaping. Flying dragon just might have them? Then there's the B25 with the bamboo stock which is kinda a thumbhole and kinda cool. Archer Airguns has access to BAM parts so maybe try them?
There's also Umarex but seems to me they're overly expensive and difficult? Just some ideas....
If anyone reshapes/mods a stock please post pix, we'd all like to see.

Attachments:
Stock modded.JPG
Stock modded.JPG [ 147 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:53 pm 

Rob at R&R can get the thumb hole stock I linked above for 60 bucks CAD. I've ordered it.

Its a few weeks out but I can post some pics for you when I get it.