Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:50 pm 
Supporting Member

This is my Phantom which Walmart forced me to buy by making it too inexpensive. (So I added a nitro piston to make it more "valuable")

I liked the idea of removing the raised dots, so with a palm sander I did mine too. I had previously cut the fore-end off the stock just for appearance and I lowered the top of the stock to make it easier for me to use open sights. (and I like the look)

I was a bit concerned about cutting too low and getting into the hollow inside the stock, but measurements said it should be ok, and it turned out to be.

The rear peep sight is UTG, (I've found with all 5 of my UTG peep sights, using a 7/64 drill bit rolled between my fingers through the peep hole makes the interior of the sight less reflective.) and the tube in front of it is 3/4" copper pipe split, gripping the dovetail front and rear, and painted black. It helps keep reflections out of the peep sight and is unnecessarily long, but I just thought I'd try a long one and I liked the look of it. Front sight is modified using a piece of M3 pointed bolt and a copper/painted cover.

I steel wooled the stock and I love the feel of it, but I don't know what type of oil to use to make it a bit shiny again. I tried lemon oil, but no go. (But it made my hands and cheek smell nice.)

Peter :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:06 pm 

PeterG wrote:
This is my Phantom which Walmart forced me to buy by making it too inexpensive. (So I added a nitro piston to make it more "valuable")

I liked the idea of removing the raised dots, so with a palm sander I did mine too. I had previously cut the fore-end off the stock just for appearance and I lowered the top of the stock to make it easier for me to use open sights. (and I like the look)

I was a bit concerned about cutting too low and getting into the hollow inside the stock, but measurements said it should be ok, and it turned out to be.

The rear peep sight is UTG, (I've found with all 5 of my UTG peep sights, using a 7/64 drill bit rolled between my fingers through the peep hole makes the interior of the sight less reflective.) and the tube in front of it is 3/4" copper pipe split, gripping the dovetail front and rear, and painted black. It helps keep reflections out of the peep sight and is unnecessarily long, but I just thought I'd try a long one and I liked the look of it. Front sight is modified using a piece of M3 pointed bolt and a copper/painted cover.

I steel wooled the stock and I love the feel of it, but I don't know what type of oil to use to make it a bit shiny again. I tried lemon oil, but no go. (But it made my hands and cheek smell nice.)

I like it. Armour all should work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:51 pm 
Supporting Member

I like the Armour All idea. If I mask it off and just do certain areas it could look very nice, and be an easier option than clear coat both for application and maintenance.

But that stuff is slippery!

It must have first come out in the 60's because some of us :oops: used it on our steering wheels and vinyl car seats and this was before the days of seat belts. :shock:

All the talk of the Air Hawk stock has got me thinking, and when I get back from a trip I'm taking I may do something about it.

I agree with tango and I don't think strength is a large issue. After the barrel is "broken", I hold the stock on the wrist just aft of the action, and the end of the barrel, so it's the rear bolt that takes most of the strain. (But I've been wrong before.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:30 pm 

PeterG wrote:
I like the Armour All idea. If I mask it off and just do certain areas it could look very nice, and be an easier option than clear coat both for application and maintenance.

But that stuff is slippery!

It must have first come out in the 60's because some of us :oops: used it on our steering wheels and vinyl car seats and this was before the days of seat belts. :shock:

All the talk of the Air Hawk stock has got me thinking, and when I get back from a trip I'm taking I may do something about it.

I agree with tango and I don't think strength is a large issue. After the barrel is "broken", I hold the stock on the wrist just aft of the action, and the end of the barrel, so it's the rear bolt that takes most of the strain. (But I've been wrong before.)

Years ago i worked on a geo crew based out of a small Okanogan BC town. Anyways we had a big GMC Suburban that was covered in mud and had heard about a retired guy that would wash and detail a truck for cheap. We left it with him one day and when we came back it SHONE. Including the tires and interior.
The guy must have used 50 bucks worth of armour-al for a 20 dollar wash. Like you said, the 3 in the back seat always slid up into a pile when going around corners untill we wore enough off to get some traction.
The guys didnt mind as much as the girls as I recall.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:04 pm 

PeterG wrote:
some of us :oops: used it on our steering wheels and vinyl car seats and this was before the days of seat belts. :shock:

Child's play. A real man would Armour All the seat in his motorcycle, just as the bright light bulb in my head instructed me to when I got m first bike. And this wasn't a "tight" seat either - it was the long type with a flat surface for both rider and passenger - in other words, a mini bowling lane of a seat. But hey, I had the shiniest XL250 in town. Till my motorcycle experienced friends applied some sticky solution to it and my butt was no longer sliding all over the place.

Edit: no seat belts meant hitting my guts (or replace the g with a n) onto the handlebars when applying the brakes.