Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:54 am 
Supporting Member

I've been shooting for only about 2 years, so I realize that I'm just a beginner, but I have learned some stuff. I've read a lot both here and on other sites, and I've tried countless ways of "getting it right" some of which worked rather well, and others that failed miserably.

I've modified everything from my artillery hold to my shooting position, to the guns themselves, adding and subtracting weights at the muzzle/butt etc. I finally pared it all down to a position and hold that work (with minor modifications) for all my guns which now have only minor amounts of weight added to the butt.

My favourite targets (other than targets) are lead discs that I've made. They're about 1-1/4" diameter and about 3/8" thick impaled on coat hanger wires about 12 to 18 inches long sticking up 25 meters from my shooting position. (Yes, I have a back stop.)

I was very happy with my accuracy (I could hit the discs edge on) and my consistency was improving, when my right eye began to give trouble.

I use open sights almost exclusively and suddenly (within about a week) both the object and my front sight (I use rear peep sights/always a blurry circle) were blurred, and my accuracy "fell off a cliff". :shock:

I had an eye exam already scheduled for about 3 weeks down the road, so I thought, since the eye problem I was having might easily be permanent I should learn to shoot left handed.

"Awkward" doesn't do justice to how I felt to begin with. I couldn't even figure out how to sit in relation to the target. (I do pretty much all my shooting sitting on a 10" stool.)

But I sort of became my own personal shooting coach. Each time I felt awkward I put the gun back on my right side and figured out exactly how I held it, (sometimes one hand, or even finger at a time) translated it to the left side and tried it.

In three weeks my "left side" has learned from my "right side", and my accuracy is coming back. Some days it's pretty good, and consistency will come too I'm sure. Things my right side took 2 years to figure out, took only weeks for my left side when it had a "coach".

Today I'll do some off-hand shooting. I throw a small pet food tin on the back lawn, and keep shooting it until it reaches the gravel path or heads in a risky direction. (It's a lot of fun right handed.)

It turns out that one of my eye issues can be resolved with a new lens in my glasses. The other issue (fluid in my eyeball has become gloopy) won't go away and may get worse, but with the new lens I'll try going back to the right side.

When the zombie apocalypse comes I'll be ready no matter which direction they come from. 8)

Peter :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:53 am 

Nice post :) & what a trooper ! .. really hope your eyes get better. Also hope you know that you have the rare gift of making the best of everything.

Cheers & see you on the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:02 pm 

Sucks about the eye that is getting worse, but being able to shoot with either hand is a compensation package I guess. Anyways, hope that eye can get better and good wishes on your continued improvement on shooting with the other hand.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:28 pm 
Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words.

I wanted to make the point that if one can get personal coaching from someone who already knows how to shoot, the learning time can be drastically reduced.

I got lots of help from this site and others, but I don't think anything can replace an actual in-person instructor/coach.

Peter :D