Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:16 am 

Put a R/G reticle scope on my crosman m4-177.. So far this gun has been lots of fun and suprisingly accurate. Once the sun comes up a little more I will take it out plinking for some longer shots and see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:21 pm 

Placed my order for the junker Surge project.

Piston seal
Cocking arm assy. with new shoe
Stock screws
Spring
Thumb hole stock
Barrel

This is NOT cost-effective by the way. Without the stock you're looking at maybe $175.00, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of tinkering around. Relaxes me (if the Lorazepam fails)..so it all works out.

Also needed some new screwdrivers. Slots are hollow ground. Got a set of Philips and a set of slots. Made in U.S.A by Grace.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:59 pm 

Trying to rig up butt plates for my CO2 tanks on the Air Force Talon - not doing so well but - not defeated - yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:25 am 

<L()L- didn't get very far- gpoing to bed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:34 am 

Been shooting my B3 quite a bit. It's tuned with a custom aluminum spring guide. Shot really well at about 630 fps with the spring and seals from the rebuild kit from D&L. This ran great for years, then this happened: (over the course of about a week)
Clasp for the lever broke. OK -installed the spare from the kit.
Breach seal shredded. OK -installed the spare from the kit.
Sear spring broke. OK -installed the spare from the kit. I also now know that the piston won't latch when the sear is installed upside down...
Mainspring broke. Not OK -that was the spring from the kit. Kit is now empty except for the bottle of mystery oil.
Called up D&L and ordered two rebuild kits. Figured I better get two since they're only $15.
Rummaged through my spare parts and found two possible temporary replacement springs. First was the spring I removed from the 495fps phantom 22. It produced 410 fps. A little slow for the ranges at which I shoot. I also found the remains of a broken B18 full power spring long enough to work, so I made a top hat for it (since there was now room for it without coil binding), threw it in and buttoned it up.
Now shoots at a reduced velocity of 560 fps. Cocking effort is reduced, shot cycle is smooth and the quietest of all of my airguns. Stacks cheap pellets at 20 meters. I'm leaving the spring in.
Then the kits showed up. I now have two rebuild kits waiting for the next breakdown. Murphy's law says as long as I keep them, I won't need them. That piece of busted spring will probably never break.
Wrenching these cheapies is almost as much fun as shooting them.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:36 am 

Just repaired the rear sight on my Marla rifle. I dropped the rifle and the sight broke :oops: :x . I was able to solder the broken parts together using lead, just hoping it'll stand the test of time. And while at it, I also soldered a piece of brass rod to the front sight, and filed it to conform to the sight's profile. Much easier to see it that way :) .

Attachments:
Rear_sight.JPG
Rear_sight.JPG [ 140.14 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]
Front_sight.JPG
Front_sight.JPG [ 116.19 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:56 am 

Nice work on the sights.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:41 am 

Made a power adjuster for the Maximus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:35 pm 

Took the B3 out for a bit, was rushed for time, but took pics of the metal sights and also the best group I got in about 20 minutes of shooting.

Rifle has a cheapo 4X fixed power scope on it...the kind that come wit Ruger Airhawks for example :)

Crosman pointed were horrible, Benjamin HP were horrible, and the JSB you can see yourself. I yanked that one thats dead nuts center or else it would have been a nice group.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:36 am 

Suppose I'm a sucker for punishment as I find this crude looking thing so appealing. Love the open sights and how the very tiny slot matches up with the thin metal post. Now compare this with the absurdity that are the fibre optic sights on the Daisy 953, where those large blobs spaced far apart makes it impossible to place the aim where you want it - and this on a gun that's a staple in accuracy.
I gather that you aren't that enthused about the accuracy? Seems that it hardly likes any pellet and as you pointed out, you used a cheap scope. Could the scope be the reason why pellets weren't tighter? Or could this be due to the gun not yet have been broken in?

It looks good to me. The price is attractive and if one can find a pellet it likes, it could be a winner. Best of all it doesn't have fibre optics. Man, how I hate these big blobs. Who are these intended for anyway? the legally blind? For over a century armies had nothing but iron sights, something that's true to this day, even on amazingly modern rifles like the M4. Then the fibre optics trend took hold and now just about every rifle and pistol sport them. Tempted to buy me an underlever B3 mainly for the crude, cold steel iron sights. Also cause I think it's fun to shoot cheap disposable guns. Something about them seem so very rewarding.

Thanks for the mini review. Hopefully you won't get sick of it and toss it aside before playing with it some more and sharing how you like it. Also glad you're not ashamed to admit to be enjoying a cheap Chinese gun - something that I'm sure rubs a lot of folks here the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:37 am 

Well, that is a 3\4" group from almost 13 yards, from a bench, with a tinker-toy scope, BUT with no rear rest. had no time for my bags, just had my front tripod rest and i was in a hurry.

Those squares are 1" and the rifle has less than 50 pellets through it.

I have at least 10 more pellets brands to try as well, but for what it is, I'll take it :) I'll bet off front and rear bags, that thing will do 5 in a nickel size hole.

I also really like my more expensive guns, but there's not much fooling around with those, know what i mean? Other than a Vortek kit or a lube tune, just what are you going to do to a HW77 or 97 (to stick with under barrel levers)?? Not much. They are excellent just the way they are. Gonna re-finish the laminated stock on a special edition 97? I dont think so.....

The cheapo stuff has lots of room for improvement and is fun to play with.

This little B3 sort of got in the way of my QB-57 and junker Surge project but its almost done. I dont have the Surge parts yet anyway.

More pics to come as i worked on it a bit Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:01 pm 

Well, I couldnt stand that baby poop brown stain any longer on the B3.

Yes, I knew up front I was working on a piece of wood from a skid :) You can see a couple of filled nail holes :) :)

Maybe 4 hours or so in to it without drying time. Not much more. New can of gel stripper..not the eco kind, the old fashioned type that burns skin on contact and will start peeling up varnish in 45 seconds. 7 sheets of 150, half can of "natural" stain, 3 coats of tung oil, couple of sheets of 400 in between coats.

Varnish came off almost instantly. Stain was a different matter...the surface crap came off as easy as the varnish, stain that was absorbed into the mystery wood, not so much.

Lets say 25 bucks all in.

The wood was incredibly dry. 150 ate through it VERY fast and if you try and remove all of the original stain you will end up with a toothpick. Just a minute of daydreaming and your sanding block will create a depression. This aint walnut.

The original brown garbage goes DEEP. One area, on the bottom of the stock, near the barrel hinge is at least 1/16" deep in the wood. gave up on it. Looks like it was set down for awhile in a puddle of stain.

This is not something you really want to do on a 79 buck rifle unless you enjoy it or just cannot STAND that brown colour.

Anyway, at least I can stand looking at it now.

BEFORE

AFTER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm 

Oh man you sure did a number on that gun. I was looking at the same underlever b3 clone in the shop.. she doesn't look half this good, and boy does she kick. Glad your happy with your little project ITguy!

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:15 pm 

The difference is incredible. Good job transforming the overly shine "plastic" into actual wood where grain can be seen. Makes me think this is the same factory that builds the B2s sold at Princess Auto as it looks identical to the stock in mine. Note that the older generation B2 didn't have this wood filler of a brown stain in it and this "new" version is just awful. I too can't stand looking at mine but not sure I'm as brave as you to wanna tackle this project. But if time allows I may do just that, after all wood work is part of gunsmithing, ain't it?

PS: any progress on the trigger? Curious if yours is the same as mine and if you do any mods to it please let us know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm 

Just made AGS some money and ordered 3 rotary clips for my CP 88 Comp. as well as 2 x 12 Umarex 12g CO2 packs... getting ready for indoor shooting

Also some RWS SuperDome .22 pellets for my Benji Legacy

Need an indoor pellet trap, deciding if I will get a Crosman or get Duct Seal/Ballistic putty and make my own...

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next