Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Target paper.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:03 am 

I've tried every type of paper my print shop carries and can't find one that doesn't tear.
Is there a specific type used commercially for target?
Any suggestions, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Target paper.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 am 

I use bristol (available as "cover stock" at Staples). It's a bit more expensive than plain paper but strurdier and doesn't tear. And it feeds perfectly in laser printers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:27 am 

The correct paper is called "tag board". The fibres are arranged in a certain way (can't remember exactly how) that allows the paper to tear cleanly when a pellet hits.

Personally I've given up trying to find it in a size that fits in my printer or copy machine.

So what I do is use regular photocopy paper which is placed directly onto a layer of "duct seal" (Home Depot) that's in my pellet trap. With the duct seal behind it, the paper tears well enough that the results can be scored properly. But every once in awhile I've got to clean out the pellets from the duct seal because otherwise the paper starts tearing badly again.

For pistol shooting, I use official targets printed on tag board (I get them from Cibles Canada).

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:37 am 

I'll try that Bristol paper (cover stock).
I found this tagboard on Amazon.ca - Pacon Tagboard, Medium Weight, 12-Inchx18-Inch, Manila, 100-Sheet for $14.75 Prime.
They will make two regular letter size sheets but yea it would've been better already sized for a regular copier.
I like designing my own targets and the print shop I go to will cut and print them for me. It will probably end up costing the same as bulk orders of commercially printed targets but I get the design I prefer.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:23 pm 

You could also order a pack of normal ISSF standard targets, the air pistol ones are fairly large, then just print on the blank back sides. They run through my printer just fine. I actually save all my 10m AP targets for re-use, printing four smaller bulls on the back sides after I've shot out the middle of the black on the proper target sides. I never shoot outside the black with a pistol anyway so all i have to do is wipe off any bits of paper still hanging from the back so they don't mess up the inkjet printer. I scaled four smaller bulls for use at 6.5 metres at my shorter indoor range and spread the spacing in an image file such that they print into the corners, then trim them in stacks of ten such that the resulting small squares slip into my smaller trap for that purpose. Not something I score, just useful for practice shooting small groups. Gehmann or other quality targets give perfect round holes with any wadcutter pellet even as slow as 300fps. Round nosed pellets don't leave quite such nice holes unless going to very high power, but still they never tear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:22 pm 

Go to a place with your favourite target where they do photocopies -- like Staples. Ask them to photocopy it onto 65 lbs card stock. Pellets do not tear this paper. The more copies you get, the less expensive it is. If you get 100 copies made it should be around $20 or so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:25 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Go to a place with your favourite target where they do photocopies -- like Staples. Ask them to photocopy it onto 65 lbs card stock. Pellets do not tear this paper. The more copies you get, the less expensive it is. If you get 100 copies made it should be around $20 or so.

Staples is where I get our Turkey targets printed on 65 pound stock for the shoot The Fort George Free Trappers puts on at Rendezvous. Seems to me, I got 200 printed and it was less than $30.00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:32 pm 

Sure, you could pay Staples $20 for 100 pieces of printed paper... or you could get 100 17cm x 17cm Kruger targets from Nikkonos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/106T-5-Meters-A ... 4d42c15fb7
I'm not seeing any single-side-printed 10 metre pistol targets in his store at the moment, just double-sided pistol targets where one side has no numbers. Odd. If someone doesn't want to think about score while training, just don't look at the numbers or count up the score. Well anyway, the 5 metre pistol targets are the same size of paper and the back side is blank, and they're cheaper at $14 Canadian including shipping. Like I say, they should run through a printer just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:31 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Sure, you could pay Staples $20 for 100 pieces of printed paper... or you could get 100 17cm x 17cm Kruger targets from Nikkonos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/106T-5-Meters-A ... 4d42c15fb7
I'm not seeing any single-side-printed 10 metre pistol targets in his store at the moment, just double-sided pistol targets where one side has no numbers. Odd. If someone doesn't want to think about score while training, just don't look at the numbers or count up the score. Well anyway, the 5 metre pistol targets are the same size of paper and the back side is blank, and they're cheaper at $14 Canadian including shipping. Like I say, they should run through a printer just fine.

If you get your targets photocopied, at whatever price you can get, the nice thing is that you can get your favourite target, not simply one that is available through a retailer.

Many shooters find they can design and make the target of their choice at web sites such as http://printtargets.net/
Here, for example, you can make your own target, print it off, and photocopy as many as you wish. You can make targets suitable for whatever kind of shooting you do, whether it's short range air pistol or longer range rifle. The nice thing about photocopying over printing at home is that it is much less expensive. Printer ink is one of the most unusually high-priced products that people often buy.

In the end, people are always free to use the targets they prefer, even 10 meter air pistol targets at 30 or 40 yards.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:26 pm 

Thought this might work, just tried it and it did: with regular white copier paper, if you damp it down all over e.g. with a spray bottle of water (I just did it with window cleaner as I didn't have an empty one to fill), the pellets will punch holes without tearing. Slightly larger holes than with the proper paper but works quite well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:56 pm 

www.targetz.com also has pages of different targets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:29 pm 

I just put up some white paper type paneling in my laundry room-my TV room. Tried the pieces I had left and it's perfect for targets. The .22 and 177 leave a perfect round hole in it and can see the hole from 75 ft away. No more paper targets for me.
I got lots of pieces left, how much a sq ft will you pay me . He he :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:01 pm 

https://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/custom/

It's a US site, but a quick check puts 10 packs of 100 blank sheets, 8.5x11, at $46.31 shipped to Niagara Falls, NY. ~6.2 cents a sheet CAD.
$72.49 for the heavy weight. ~10 cents a sheet CAD.
Discounts apply at $75 (5%) and $250 (10%). They have 17x11, too.

Anybody want to do a bulk purchase/group buy deal? I'd take one or two packs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:43 am 

I use Staples card stock (100lb) and always get nice, clean, round holes - I only shoot wadcutters though, which are probably more forgiving than domes or pointed pellets in this regard.

I built a wooden Archer-style duct seal silent pellet trap sized for 8 1/2 X 11 paper so that making targets was as easy as possible. The sheets hang in a cheap clipboard that has had the center cut out. It slides down into a slots on the front edges of the trap and the target sits about four inches in front of the front surface of the duct seal.