Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman m4-177
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 pm 

Ah! What an exciting few days.. added a few less expensive toys to my collection just for the hell of it, both on sale at good old Canadian Tire. A daisy powerline 340, which is pretty straight forward and a get what you pay for (some cheap fun plinking) and a crosman m4-177. The crosman so far seems fun, wondering about modding it already. Lol, first thing I did was head to the crosman site for parts schematics.[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] what's everyone else's experience? If I do end up modding , I've heard varying answers on the legality of it. Some say it ends up pal and others rpal. I can't seem to get a straight solution, and was curious if some one else out there had it! All in all a pretty good week on the west coast!

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Crosman m4-177
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:26 am 

I have one of the M4-177s.... it is now in two pieces. I scoped it and this caused me to grip the stock at the pistol grip and that caused the stock to break in half. ;-)
So far, I have only thought about ordering the parts to repair it. They are available now. I only used four pumps in the back yard but the stock must be fairly fragile.
Thought I would give a bit of a heads up about that.

BTW, it was extremely accurate, easy to pump. Fun to shoot........ for a few days!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:10 pm 

If you mod the M4-177 and the muzzle velocity exceeds 500 fps and 4.2 foot pounds, your air rifle will be a PAL.
I have the same rifle and accuracy is so-so up to 15 yards. I was averaging approx. .75" to 1.25" groupings at that range. My Crosman 1322 pumper is far more accurate than the M4-177. After adding a shoulder stock and changing to a steel breech on the 1322, my accuracy was even better. Groupings on this shooter was approx .31" to .75" at 15 yards.

Below is info taken from the RCMP site:

1. Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code

These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds). The "muzzle velocity" is the speed of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, normally expressed in metres per second or feet per second. The "muzzle energy" is the energy of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, expressed in joules or foot-pounds. Air guns need to meet both standards to be classified as firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 am 

Well that doesn't sound promising! Today is relatively dry and not so overcast, so i was going to take it out back and put a few rounds through.ive had a couple of indoor shots, but no serious flaws to report thus far (just a pellet jam which imho was more likely me accidently loading two pellets using the magazine ) and so far it seems to shoot fairly accurately, with both BBS and pellet. Bb being the least accurate of the two. I suppose I will know better by today, and see if it was worth the 97 I paid.. though I don't think it's gonna match the 1377. Happy plinking y'all

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:50 am 

Hi Darkstar! Please make yourself a favor and NEVER AGAIN shoot steel BB's in that rifled barrel, you'll ruin the rifling :shock: :) . I also have an M4-177, and it's pretty accurate and fun! What kind of mods do you wish to do, for accuracy, power, look? These rifles responds very well to tuning, and are rather easy to work on. Here are some ''entry level'' mods you could perform: topic71746.html

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:54 pm 

I was worried about the rifling with the bb and shot very few, are the copper coated copper heads have less effect? I was user the impression the rifling as steel and quite hard on this particular barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk