Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:26 am 

Hi. I recently purchased 18 grain pellets for my Phantom .22 and it seems to not go that far and seems weaker... Is 18 too much for the rifle? Or are pellets just terrible quality? The last pellets I had were Gamo Rockets and Crosman Destroyers and those were great. These ones are Crow Magnum 18 grain. Is it too heavy or just the pellets? If it's too heavy, then how much grains should I use for a 495 FPS rifle? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:33 am 

Peux wrote:
Hi. I recently purchased 18 grain pellets for my Phantom .22 and it seems to not go that far and seems weaker... Is 18 too much for the rifle? Or are pellets just terrible quality? The last pellets I had were Gamo Rockets and Crosman Destroyers and those were great. These ones are Crow Magnum 18 grain. Is it too heavy or just the pellets? If it's too heavy, then how much grains should I use for a 495 FPS rifle? Thanks.

The standard answer here is that you really need to test a bunch of different pellets in your gun to find out which shoots the best. It's very possible that two identical makes/models of gun would each have their own (different) favorite pellet. And even the head size (diameter) makes a difference.

Do you have a chrony to measure the speed? Maybe a friend does. When I tested Crow Magnums in my .22 rifle, I found not only that they shot a lot slower than Crosman Pointed but they were also quite noticeably less accurate. But my preferred pellet (at least my gun's preferred pellet) is the H&N Barracuda Hunter, even though it's heavier than the Crosman Pointed and shoots slower because it was the most accurate in my testing of pellets. But EVERY gun is different!

Good luck!

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 pm 

Alright well thanks for the reply I'll try out Crosman Hollow points see how that turns out. I think it may work better with those I'll give it a shot. And I was thinking about buying that device to measure the speed I'll try it out and see what performs best. Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:05 pm 

I would shoot the 14gr. range of pellets in a low powered springer.
On the other hand, my HW98 in .22 really likes the H&H 19.09gr. Barracuda pellets, but it is a P.A.L. rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:04 pm 

All other things being equal (and maybe some more equal than others), try to use lighter pellets in non-PAL guns. .22 cal pellets at around 14 gr generally do well, and I have had very good success with JSB RS Exact that are just under 14 gr.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:39 pm 

Use a 13 or 14 grain pellet and test for accuracy.A 15.74 grain pellet in my Phantom 500 produced LESS FPE than the lighter 14.3 grains.Heavy pellets like a 16+ gr.are just TOO much for many non pal guns if you're looking for max fpe....Daisy hollow points for one will give you good speed and MORE punch than the heavy pellets..Daisies in .22 cal are 13.8 gr. .....Also the H&N Sport Wadcutters @13.73 gr offer good speed and fpe. :) http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Diabo ... _400ct/277