Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:32 pm 

Anyone know what ,exactly, the material is that springer piston seals are made of, and if o rings are available in the same material ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Anyone know what ,exactly, the material is that springer piston seals are made of, and if o rings are available in the same material ?

A little bit overwhelming but here's some information on seals http://www.sealsfast.com/pages/materials/materials.html

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:13 am 

I've researched all those sources, and have read hours of literature on the subject. However, not seeing and touching the material, or having long term usage history for the specific application, it could be expensive, and or time consuming finding out the best material for the job. Since the application is a piston head in an air gun, and the material used has been proven durable for years, I think why mess with what works.. The only reason I don't actually use a replacement piston head, is I cant find the right size. I need a seal for a 1" ID tube Also. 1.125" ID tube. All the spring piston guns, seals, I have, are loose in the tube, and dont seal. Unless you know what gun might have a bigger compression chamber for me to order a seal from that company, you just can't go to any company and order a specific size air gun seal. You have to order whatever size seals they use in their guns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:55 am 

Joe, the folks I've seen make piston seals machined them from urethane. Not sure what the durometer was. Can get urethane orings in most durometers.

Have been using buna-n in my gas booster and they are holding up fine going to 3000psi. Have seen one fellow who played with an oring seal on a custom piston head for a springer as well...had good success with it. Cannot remember the material, thinking bune-n or viton...

Al

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:28 pm 

I'd just buy the seal meant for that gun, or is that not an option? 1"/25mm is very common, and the 1.125/29mm is not so common but they do make seals for it. Crosman has two different seals in 29mm, one with a large center hole for the NPSS/RNP and NP2, and a very different seal with a small hole for the Trail XL, but fyi the XL seal sux imo so I'd get this one:
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/cat ... 616786.htm
That place has lots of other seals btw, lots of odd sizes and what not. So an oversize seal or one a mm larger? He won't help you with finding one, so you need to know what you want. Then order and don't bother asking about status, it'll arrive when it arrives.
If you want to try O-rings you can get a 25mm O-ring seal setup from Vortek. They make a 28mm version but no 29, but I suppose it would be possible to make it work.
Seals vary by mfg and batch too. I have 1"/25mm seals that vary for 1.000" to 1.025", and that's just the batch of maybe a ten I have sitting here. For me it seems as long as the seal is .005" larger than the bore it'll work, but that's cutting it close. If for example the seal shrank at all you'd be screwed. Not sure what material would shrink but do some super cheap chinese seals will harden, and if they harden I imagine they shrink a bit. Aftermarket seals seem to be some kind of urethane but who knows since there are lots of materials they could use.
You don't want anything that breaks down in petrol based lube. No factory or reputable aftermarket mfg would make one like that but I do have one unknown (unscrupulous) mfg 28mm seal that's soft black rubber of some sort. One is it's too soft so piston impact is a real threat, two is oil would no doubt break it down and the piston would hit for sure.
Also know that the ID at the end of the receiver is usually smaller than the business end, so don't use the aft end to determine seal needs.