Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 760 Pumpmaster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:25 pm 

I have the Crosman M4-177 and it is very accurate.However I recently broke the stock by holding it the wrong way while pumping ( this is known to happen in many cases). I have glued it together but if it does not hold for future, I am considering the 760 which is less expensive and built on the same platform. I target shoot indoors at 18 feet with a small laser on the 11mm. rail
Does anyone have personal opinions on the Pumpmaster?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:30 pm 

The 760 is a different rifle, not only by aesthetics, but the pump tube is shorter and has about 1/2''-3/4'' less stroke, so it has a bit less power. However, I do have the two latest models of 760 (and also an M4-177), and I love them. They have the same 5 shots magazines as the M4. You can scope them if you want, they have a dovetail rail on top of the receiver, even though it's plastic, but the open sights are quite decent. All in all, a good, reliable and rather accurate plinker.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:50 pm 

airmec wrote:
The 760 is a different rifle, not only by aesthetics, but the pump tube is shorter and has about 1/2''-3/4'' less stroke, so it has a bit less power. However, I do have the two latest models of 760 (and also an M4-177), and I love them. They have the same 5 shots magazines as the M4. You can scope them if you want, they have a dovetail rail on top of the receiver, even though it's plastic, but the open sights are quite decent. All in all, a good, reliable and rather accurate plinker.

Thanks for your comments airmec.I shoot this at 25 feet ( not 18 as mentioned) so 760 should be as accurate for that distance.
I assume the 760 on Amazon.ca ( best price with free delivery ) is the current model.

I checked out reviews on the Crosman 1077 repeater but seems there are reported issues with CO2 leaks and low shot count plus heavy trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:50 pm 

I should have added that the 760 has a smooth bore barrel, so you may expect a bit less accuracy from it compared to the M4, but did you know that the pump tube assembly and rifled barrel of the M4 are a direct fit on the 760? :wink:

Regarding the 1077, mine has no leaks, and I get around 50 shots out of it. Yes, the trigger pull is heavy, but there are mods you can do to improve it. This one, amongst others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ2WErNtYGg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 pm 

For the 760 check Princess Auto. I bought the kit there a few months ago (guess the post was deleted, can't locate it) that had quite a few add-ons for I think $49 on sale.
Wasn't aware that it had a smooth bore till Airmec mentioned it, which surprised me as I find it so accurate, it never occurred it wasn't rifled. I have both and quite enjoy the M4-177 mainly for he open sights and like how the 5 shot clips are interchangeable. But bare in mind that the 760 feels like a cheap toy compared to the M4, it's super lightweight and short. I bought it mainly for my 6yo to practice with since it's the only rifle that's suitable for him. You may find it too small/light. Although I like the sights (no silly fibre optics) and the power is plenty for your range.

The 1077 is another fave of mine (wife's no. 1 choice, the M4 being her second - just as long as I do the pumping for her) and will look at the trigger mod airmec posted. But it's louder than the others, should noise be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 am 

Thanks for all comments. For an extra $30.00 approx.,I will probably get another M4-177 for my pellet shooting since I know it produces
great results and the build quality better than 760 and 1077.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:35 am 

I also have a broken M4-177. It was accurate and fun to shoot. I don't know if I will bother to fix it. Thinking of trying to put the barrel on a 760 pumpmaster.

My 760 pumpmaster lives in the garage waiting for me to shoot a few rounds as I pass through! It is fun, easy to shoot and I like to plink with it at short range. I shoot this more than
any other airgun I own. It seems to like the cheap Daisy wadcutters pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 am 

As I mentioned, my broken stock is glued back on. I now cup my left hand over the top sight rail ( directly above the grip) when pumping and not resting on any surface. Since I use a small laser sight, I have room to grasp securely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12 am 

Before you go out and spend that much on the M4 u may consider getting the Daisy 953 instead. This is what I did (the M4 was my first and was a big hit with myself and wife) but having the 953 made it hard to go back to the M4 - and as mentioned above, we really liked the M4. If you look around you may even find it for less. It too has a 5 shot magazine and it only requires a single pump. Which gives you about as much power as around 8 pumps in the M4. And it's even more accurate. Nice ergonomics too as it resembles a rifle more than a carbine, which is an added advantage since it offers more in the way of experience not to mention a good weight/balance. I hate the fibre optics sights in it but that can be rectified with a red dot or cheap scope. Or if you want to top the sights in the M4, a peep sight is available for the 953 (at a cost similar or higher to the gun itself).

No comparison between the 953 and the 760. Although I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the 1077. Even though it uses CO2, it is the quietest of all CO2 guns I have and even if you live in an apartment you may get away with the noise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm 

Thanks Joolz. Actually, I had a 953 and while it was accurate, a bit heavy for my senior arms ( standing or sitting braced on knee) plus a little more decibel level. The M4 does the job and very comfortable in any stance. Four pumps is all I need for 25 feet.

Having said that, I note that Edmonton<500 has a couple if 953 for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:00 am 

And a fine choice it is!
If mine was to break I'd definitely be getting another. It and the 953 are my go to guns, the ones that I just have to fire a shot from once in a while and the ones that yield much gratification. With that said, I want to ensure it doesn't get broken. Can you describe how you used to pump and hold it that caused so much stress? Honestly I never did pay attention to it but seeing how it's lasted this long I may be doing it right. Or maybe just got lucky thus far. I also hardly pump it more than 5 times.
Btw hope you can hold off till you find it on sale. Paid $59 for mine on sale at Can Tire a couple of years ago and where I doubt it'd ever be this low again, I don't think I could justify that $120 or so normal price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 am 

For the grasp during pumping, refer to my post a few entries above this one. Best to hold it away from pressure on any surface and get the right push/pull rythym .Left hand grip on top toward rear and right hand near bottom of pump handle. Mine broke at seam where stock is attached.

I have been reviewing the Crosman Raven break- barrel which gets high marks for accuracy and compactness but a hard and long trigger travel. ( $87 for this and $110 for the M4 ) on Amazon.ca plus free shipping and tax not charged.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:40 pm 

Should you find the weight of a youth springer to be about the same as the 953, this may interest you: just received a princess auto flyer, the 760 Pumpmaster will be on sale starting next Tuesday for $49.99. Not sure if this is just the rifle or the same kit I got that comes with pellets, shooting glasses, scope/rings and some BBs. But it sure is light and easy to pump.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:13 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Should you find the weight of a youth springer to be about the same as the 953, this may interest you: just received a princess auto flyer, the 760 Pumpmaster will be on sale starting next Tuesday for $49.99. Not sure if this is just the rifle or the same kit I got that comes with pellets, shooting glasses, scope/rings and some BBs. But it sure is light and easy to pump.

Thanks, I will call local store Monday , but we don't always get the same good deals as out your way.

BTW, My M4 broke today two weeks since I glued. I guess it dries up and the bond just gives way.
Will have a skilled family member try another fix eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:28 pm 

Was at Can Tire early this morning loading up on their sale. Saw the M4-177 listed for $144. So yeah, definitely try and fix yours. Not that $144 is a realistic price for that gun but then again that appears to be the trend for any airgun sold at CT.
I think I understand how yours was broken. Will be that much more careful pumping mine now.