Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Posts: 565
For fun and simplicity, airguns are hard to beat!

Personally, if I'm hunting anything bigger than a pigeon, I'll got for powder burner.
- 22 pellets @ 950fps = +/- 36 ft/lbs
- 22lr (40gr) @ 1250fps = +/- 140 ft/lbs

For sh!t & g!ggles, a Mosin Nagant M91/30 Rifle and an 880rd case of 7.62x54R for less than $500 is hard to beat :bear:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm
Posts: 870
Location: Central BC
Joolz, I'm with you and follow your reasoning. We are just outside in Winnipeg, but I don't know anyone with a large piece of property,so I too would be generally stuck going to a range.

We do not have as elaborate a range setup as you have out your way Daryl. The fees certainly seem worthwhile given the amenities and number of options members have.

I think maybe one powder burner is in order, but for everyday/target use an airgun seems like it will do everything I need.

_________________
Highlights - Evanix Conquest
FAS6004, HW44, Alfa Proj
AA S200, AA ProSport, HW77SE, HW30s
FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6089
Location: P.G. B.C.
A .22 LR in a bolt gun- repeater or single shot is about the least expensive way of PB's. If shooting a CF and casting your own bullets, you can get the price of centre fire down close to RF & cheaper than the .17HMR or .22 Mag. depending on CF calibre, of course.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 995
Location: Burlington, Ontario
maybe a nice cz45x model for rimfire, and a nice airgun or two!

i like .223 and eyeing a .308 soon i hope but still enjoy shooting airguns.

_________________
Rodney

AA S400SL FT .177 Bushnell 8-32x40
HW30s .177 Bushnell Trophy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Posts: 565
Daryl wrote:
If shooting a CF and casting your own bullets...


Yeah... casting and reloading to save money :lol: next thing you know, you're buying odd guns, in odd calibres, because eh! It's only one more set of dies/molds :axe:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 2:30 am
Posts: 390
Location: South Calgary
Joolz wrote:
I see you live just north of me.
You must be more computer literate then me ... how can you tell I'm "just north" of you?

Quote:
Mind pointing out a place where one can shoot pb rifles for free around our area? Sure, there are the odd crown land out west but last I heard even that is getting harder to go shoot a rifle. If you know of a place around here that allows you to shoot a rifle without requiring a costly range membership, I'm all ears. Would be just I need to justify getting that .22 bolt action.
The easiest way is to go to a farmer and ask if he has any problems with gophers.
Quote:
Scenario: you get pulled over for whatever reason and cop wants to look at your trunk. Sees an air rifle with a tin of pellets nearby. Would he throw the book at you? Not sure but likely not and unless you shout from the top of your lungs 'it's a firearm!' I don't see how you'd be in handcuffs over that. Same scenario, box of .22 amo alongside a rifle and the outcome may be a lot different. Just in case you misinterpreted what was said above.
By this statement, it appears that you do not follow proper transportation protocol. I hope you don't get stopped and searched.
Cops can stop me anytime and do a search ... regardless if I have a rifle or pistols with me ... I am compliant with the regulations.

_________________
SR1911 .45ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Savage Mk II BTVS / Nikon 3-9x40 BDC150
Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 am
Posts: 711
Location: Bradford
Stihltech wrote:
Joolz wrote:
I see you live just north of me.
You must be more computer literate then me ... how can you tell I'm "just north" of you?

Quote:
Mind pointing out a place where one can shoot pb rifles for free around our area? Sure, there are the odd crown land out west but last I heard even that is getting harder to go shoot a rifle. If you know of a place around here that allows you to shoot a rifle without requiring a costly range membership, I'm all ears. Would be just I need to justify getting that .22 bolt action.
The easiest way is to go to a farmer and ask if he has any problems with gophers.
Quote:
Scenario: you get pulled over for whatever reason and cop wants to look at your trunk. Sees an air rifle with a tin of pellets nearby. Would he throw the book at you? Not sure but likely not and unless you shout from the top of your lungs 'it's a firearm!' I don't see how you'd be in handcuffs over that. Same scenario, box of .22 amo alongside a rifle and the outcome may be a lot different. Just in case you misinterpreted what was said above.
By this statement, it appears that you do not follow proper transportation protocol. I hope you don't get stopped and searched.
Cops can stop me anytime and do a search ... regardless if I have a rifle or pistols with me ... I am compliant with the regulations.


Dont kid yourself....if the LEO wants you to have a bad day, you're going to have one.

_________________
When the 425-hp "street Hemi" version hit the street in 1965, it was akin to taking an M230 chain gun to an arcade shooting gallery
Peter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Posts: 565
Police ruin your day?
Sorry, but unless your car look like this, or you act like a total jerk... LEO have better things to do than stop people to see if they have a rifle in their trunks

Image
(No offence to all the owners of pimped-civic)

The only time having guns in the trunk was ever a "trouble" (if you can call it that) was when crossing the border... and even then, it was only an issue when coming back into Canada, when some border agent didn't know the rules for safe transport of non-restricted firearms... 10 minutes, a few phone calls, and the issue was resolved with a :sorry for the delay sir, we'll take note of that.

-

To the OP, asking a farmer to shoot on his land and deal with gophers is
- A great way to make a new friend
- If you're nice and respectful of his property/livestock, he'll most likely recommend you to his neighboor
- In the spring, he might even throw a few $ your way to help cover the cost of the ammo :wink:

-

To the OP, have made up a list of features you'd like in your new 'pal' rated gun?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2839
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
I only been pulled over once with firearms in my trunk. I was coming out of the range road and I had a little mud on my tires and I started to spin when I cut onto the road. Police happened to see me and hear me. Yes when I was 20 I had a modified Accord.

Now I carry a black book with all my information and the transportation requirements ( ATT, Range cards, CFO business card, Reg certs, print out on LAR 15 mags, Brochure from the RCMP on transporting ) . Normally when traveling it stays in the front seat. So I can easily hand it to the officer when I declare that I have firearms in the trunk.

Im still trying to justify the 300$ local gun club 5 mins drive. Than the hour drive so I can shoot more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 am
Posts: 711
Location: Bradford
To the OP...

Buy 3 firearms and then stick with air guns.

You never know how the landscape may change in the future, depending on who is elected, changing public perception, and so on. So perhaps buy them while you still can. Hunting is another potential future activity. You may have no interest now, but nobody can predict the future.

So...everybody needs a good .22, a 30-06, and a 3" 12 Gauge.

Get a nice bolt action .22.
.22 is a filthy cartridge. If you keep a light coat of oil on your guns, in the action, it will quickly turn to sludge after a few hundred rounds of .22 and this is ESPECIALLY true of an auto-loader. Bolt actions are inherently accurate and very simple to clean. In other words, you wont avoid cleaning it because it is a PITA.

Ditto for 30-06
That caliber has enough different factory bullet weights for any game in Canada. Of course it would not be my first choice for some, BUT it will work just fine. Ammo is plentiful and if you're going to have only one center-fire, that would be it. Can also use for 300yd plus plinking which is awesome fun ;)

12 Gauge
Everyone needs at least one ;) Very versatile gun. Trap, hunting, duck, upland bird, and so on. Deer with a slug barrel. Also fun just to go out and play with. Anything from cheap Winchester Defender, to 870 Remington pump, 1100 auto loader, etc etc.

_________________
When the 425-hp "street Hemi" version hit the street in 1965, it was akin to taking an M230 chain gun to an arcade shooting gallery
Peter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm
Posts: 870
Location: Central BC
ITGUY wrote:
To the OP...

Buy 3 firearms and then stick with air guns.

You never know how the landscape may change in the future, depending on who is elected, changing public perception, and so on. So perhaps buy them while you still can. Hunting is another potential future activity. You may have no interest now, but nobody can predict the future.

So...everybody needs a good .22, a 30-06, and a 3" 12 Gauge.

Get a nice bolt action .22.
.22 is a filthy cartridge. If you keep a light coat of oil on your guns, in the action, it will quickly turn to sludge after a few hundred rounds of .22 and this is ESPECIALLY true of an auto-loader. Bolt actions are inherently accurate and very simple to clean. In other words, you wont avoid cleaning it because it is a PITA.

Ditto for 30-06
That caliber has enough different factory bullet weights for any game in Canada. Of course it would not be my first choice for some, BUT it will work just fine. Ammo is plentiful and if you're going to have only one center-fire, that would be it. Can also use for 300yd plus plinking which is awesome fun ;)

12 Gauge
Everyone needs at least one ;) Very versatile gun. Trap, hunting, duck, upland bird, and so on. Deer with a slug barrel. Also fun just to go out and play with. Anything from cheap Winchester Defender, to 870 Remington pump, 1100 auto loader, etc etc.


Good advice as well. Likely will get a shotgun, maybe 20g so the wife can enjoy shooting it at times too. She's fired a 12g before and it was a bit of a handful. Might not be taking down a grizzly with a 20g but it's still got some oomph. I wouldn't want to end up on the business end of one!
I may look to attend a gun show and see what offerings they have. Too bad we don't have many out this way.

_________________
Highlights - Evanix Conquest
FAS6004, HW44, Alfa Proj
AA S200, AA ProSport, HW77SE, HW30s
FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2839
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
ITGUY wrote:
To the OP...

Buy 3 firearms and then stick with air guns.

You never know how the landscape may change in the future, depending on who is elected, changing public perception, and so on. So perhaps buy them while you still can. Hunting is another potential future activity. You may have no interest now, but nobody can predict the future.

So...everybody needs a good .22, a 30-06, and a 3" 12 Gauge.

Get a nice bolt action .22.
.22 is a filthy cartridge. If you keep a light coat of oil on your guns, in the action, it will quickly turn to sludge after a few hundred rounds of .22 and this is ESPECIALLY true of an auto-loader. Bolt actions are inherently accurate and very simple to clean. In other words, you wont avoid cleaning it because it is a PITA.

Ditto for 30-06
That caliber has enough different factory bullet weights for any game in Canada. Of course it would not be my first choice for some, BUT it will work just fine. Ammo is plentiful and if you're going to have only one center-fire, that would be it. Can also use for 300yd plus plinking which is awesome fun ;)

12 Gauge
Everyone needs at least one ;) Very versatile gun. Trap, hunting, duck, upland bird, and so on. Deer with a slug barrel. Also fun just to go out and play with. Anything from cheap Winchester Defender, to 870 Remington pump, 1100 auto loader, etc etc.



300 guns I only ever owned 3 12 gauges ( My best one was a Rem 1100 ) Never owned a 3006, 308 is what I use.

All I shoot is 22LR now. My 22/45 has about 1500rds thru it w/o cleaning it. My Single Six gets cleaned more than my 2245 only because I get a sticky cylinder. My cooey never gets cleaned. 10/22 barely clean it. I only clean my 22LR when it starts having issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 pm
Posts: 870
Location: Central BC
After all the input and suggestions, I am looking at a Condor as an option instead of a powder gun. Seems very versatile and has the ability to dial the power up and down. Only issue I have besides not being able to handle one in person before buying is the lack of a magazine of any kind. I do enjoy the convenience of a magazine system and may regret the single shot.
This would be in addition to a 20g shotgun.

_________________
Highlights - Evanix Conquest
FAS6004, HW44, Alfa Proj
AA S200, AA ProSport, HW77SE, HW30s
FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am
Posts: 1545
Location: Calgary
Stihltech wrote:
The easiest way is to go to a farmer and ask if he has any problems with gophers.
lol I ask you to point where one can shoot a pb other than a range in our area and THIS is what you come up with? :roll:

Stihltech wrote:
You must be more computer literate then me ... how can you tell I'm "just north" of you?

Here's the trick I'm willing to share with you, this one time:
1- Start computer/ipad/iphone (or an yet-to-explode Samsung)
2- Visit this forum using your favourite browser
3- Glance/stare/glaze at the location listed under user name

It ain't complicated.

_________________
No, no, it was bigger than that! It looked like a weird monkey-dog thing!
COG First Class Recruit
Gears of War


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 2:30 am
Posts: 390
Location: South Calgary
Joolz wrote:
Stihltech wrote:
The easiest way is to go to a farmer and ask if he has any problems with gophers.
lol I ask you to point where one can shoot a pb other than a range in our area and THIS is what you come up with? :roll:
It worked for me ... maybe I have better luck then you.

Stihltech wrote:
You must be more computer literate then me ... how can you tell I'm "just north" of you?
Here's the trick I'm willing to share with you, this one time:
1- Start computer/ipad/iphone (or an yet-to-explode Samsung)
2- Visit this forum using your favourite browser
3- Glance/stare/glaze at the location listed under user name

It ain't complicated.
Thanks for this tip ... I never thought of checking this.
Where exactly does it show that I am just north of you?

_________________
SR1911 .45ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Savage Mk II BTVS / Nikon 3-9x40 BDC150
Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO