Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:02 pm 

I was in at princess auto this week and noticed that they had the Crosman vantage on sale for $99 with a 4x32 scope. I am a sucker for a good deal so I had to buy one :D Although I have a few high end German guns I also have a soft spot for the Crosman springers. I have a few Phantom .22's and a Heavily moded Benjamin Classic .22 as well. I was curious as to how the Vantage .177 was detuned so I took it apart and this is what I found. It uses the same soft spring as the new model Phantom .22 but it also has a longer piston than the Phantom to detune it even further. I have seen the long and short pistons in on line write ups and they have been 193mm for the long and 145mm for the short pistons. The vantage has a 170mm piston so it is about half way between the old long and short pistons. I decided to try another experiment by swapping the 170mm piston from the Vantage with a 145mm piston from a Phantom. This gives the .177 vantage the same power plant as the stock .22 Phantom. The Phantom shoots 14.3 grn hollow points about 425fps so I would think the .177 should be right around the 500fps with a 8grn .177 pellet. I then installed the longer 170mm piston from the Vantage in the .22 Phantom with a full power spring and the results were quite nice. Right around 500 fps with a nice shot cycle. I find the Crosman rifles in this series are a bit rough when set to the US spec full power but they are too weak in the Canadian versions that are shooting nearly 100fps under the 500 fps limit. I find they work best when they are tweaked the 500 to 600 fps power level. With the different springs and pistons there are a lot of options.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:04 am 
Site Moderator

I plan to disassemble my new .177cal Crosman Optimus this week. It's a detuned rifle from CanTire and clocks at 495-500fps. The cocking stroke is definitely longer than my old Quest but I'm doubting it is the shortest piston version. Like you said, a 500-600fps tune is sweet. My plan is to get another 50-100fps and leave it there.

topic74400.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:58 am 

TCooper wrote:
I plan to disassemble my new .177cal Crosman Optimus this week. It's a detuned rifle from CanTire and clocks at 495-500fps. The cocking stroke is definitely longer than my old Quest but I'm doubting it is the shortest piston version. Like you said, a 500-600fps tune is sweet. My plan is to get another 50-100fps and leave it there.

topic74400.html

Your Optimus is also a candidate for NP conversion. Kit would include new end cap for the ram, ram itself, new piston and seal. Around 100 bucks I think. I dont know what the full power Optimus is supposed to do, probably 800fps plus, but I used a gas ram from a sub PAL Benji. My Optimus is more powerful now (shorter piston maybe, dont remember) but not by much.