Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:02 am 

I found the LOP on my new Daisy 953 to be too short, and I'm not even a very big guy.
My idea here isn't new at all, others have lengthened the LOP on their Daisy like this, but I incorporated what I thought were a few minor refinements.
In this first picture I've cut out a spacer that matches the interior cavity of the very end of the buttstock with the buttplate removed. It's purpose is to centre the new buttplate extension onto the buttstock--no sliding around. I cut it on my scroll saw. It's just 1/8" HDF (hardboard). No need for fancy wood here. This piece took more time and effort than the rest of the pieces but I felt it was necessary to make the finished product secure and functional. I made this piece first because I needed it before I moved forward.

Attachments:
Daisy 953 spacer resized.jpg
Daisy 953 spacer resized.jpg [ 28.92 KiB | Viewed 988 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:31 am 

On to step two here. In this picture I've fashioned an outer buttplate that the original buttplate will attach to. This will give a more finished appearance to the final product. I've used 9/32" walnut. I was going to use padauk or purple heart but that met with too much resistance with my wood carving wife. "Padauk or purple heart? On a gun? That stuff is too valuable for THAT!" So walnut it is. A nice traditional wood for rifles. Before cutting the finsished shape on the walnut I routed two grooves to fit the corresponding projections on the original buttplate. I don't want it shifting around. Dremel tool with router attachment for the grooves first, scroll saw second.

Attachments:
Daisy 953 outer butt plate resized.jpg
Daisy 953 outer butt plate resized.jpg [ 41.28 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:37 am 

Step three here. The outer butt plate has been cut to size. The original buttplate was traced while it sat in the grooves I cut. In this picture I've glued the hardboard spacer to another piece of 9/32" walnut. Once the glue was dry I set it in the buttstock and traced out the outline. On to the scroll saw for cutting it out. So it was important to have the hardwood spacer and glue it to the walnut blank first--no sense in trying to glue the hardboard spacer to an already cut out walnut piece--I'd never get it centered properly. You may notice no screw holes yet--that's one of the last things to do.

Attachments:
Daisy 953 butt plates resized.jpg
Daisy 953 butt plates resized.jpg [ 36.47 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 am 

A few more steps here. I marked the location for the screw holes. I held the original buttplate firmly to the outer walnut plate while I turned a 9/64" drill bit with my fingers, using the original screw holes as a guide. It left a visible mark, perfectly centered. I drilled 1/16" pilot holes through the outer walnut plate first, then used the outer plate as a template for the inner walnut plate. Once one 1/16" pilot hole was drilled in the inner walnut plate, I used a second 1/16" drill bit as pin so I could accurately drill the second pilot hole. Drill press for this job. Now that the pilot holes were drilled, I used a 7/8" forstner bit to dish out a shallow recess for the aluminum spacers to sit in. Only about 1/32" deep recess. Again, keeping with the whole theme of no shifting around and a finished look. Then I finished drilling the two screw holes. Forstner bits leave a perfect starter hole for this task.
On to the spacers. I had a defunct portable USB power supply. Blue anodized aluminum and 7/8" in diameter. Long enough to cut two pieces each 1 1/8" long. I marked it with a pipe cutter but did the actual cutting with a hacksaw for the first piece. It was too short to get a firm yet undamaging grip for the second cut so I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Cleaned up and equalized the lengths with sandpaper and files.

Attachments:
Daisy 953 aluminum spacer resized.jpg
Daisy 953 aluminum spacer resized.jpg [ 65.15 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:16 am 

Maggie's Drawers wrote:
"Padauk or purple heart? On a gun? That stuff is too valuable for THAT!"

Excuse me??? Too good? For my gun? :evil:

Nice little write up on templating your solution. Looks like a great project for 3d printing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:33 am 

I progressively sanded the two walnut plates. Started with 120, went to 800 grit. One trick here are to use a sanding block for the edges. This leaves a crisp edge between the wood and the corresponding rifle parts. But break the outside edge with sandpaper held in your hands. Don't do this to the inside edge. For the face of the walnut, I placed the sandpaper on a dead flat surface and held the wood pieces. Sounds backwards but it works better than trying to sand such a small piece with a sanding block. Another trick is to not skip grits of sandpaper. Get it shaped perfectly with the 120 grit first. All subsequent sanding with progressively finer sandpaper is merely to remove scratches left by the previous sandpaper. Gave the walnut pieces a finish of Bartley's gel varnish. This stuff is incredibly easy to work with. Sort of halfway between a handrubbed finish and a finish applied with a brush.
So all in all, I added 1 5/8" to the LOP. Obviously I needed to use longer screws to attach this assembly to my rifle. And being a proud Canadian, I used Robertson head screws, of course. The LOP is still a little short compared to my powder burners but it's my belief that it's better to have an LOP half an inch short than half an inch long. Everything lined up perfectly, no wiggling around and I think it looks reasonably good. I like the way the walnut and blue tubes set off the look of an otherwise pretty bland looking 953. This extension works great for me and I hope some of you find this photo essay useful. BTW, in this picture it sort of looks like the two aluminum tubes aren't parallel. They are. Crappy cell phone pic adds a bit of fish eye.

Attachments:
Daisly 953 butt extension complete resized.jpg
Daisly 953 butt extension complete resized.jpg [ 41.13 KiB | Viewed 973 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:37 pm 

I just took a 2x4 and traced out the butt pad. Cut it to the shape, and sanded it. Then I sanded off the lip on the buttpad. Drilled holes and used longer screws.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45 am 

Nice.

I wonder if it's possible to cut the aluminium tubes 2" longer, drill the butt stock same diameter, spring load the aluminium tubes and have a fully adjustable length if pull?

Locking them down would be the problem I guess. Locking knobs on the side if the stock would look lousy...hmm..maybe inletted locking screws flush with face of stock.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:50 am 

Itguy, the buttstock of the Daisy 953 is hollow plastic. So your idea of springloaded spacers is an excellent idea, but wouldn't work on a 953---nothing to counterbore the spacers into except empty space :wink:
Speaking of hollow plastic stocks, I have no idea how this little rifle can weigh all of 6.4 lbs. But I like the weight. My FIL has a different Daisy, can't remember the model, and it weighs just over 3 lbs. Feels like a toy in comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:31 pm 

10-4 Thanks for the explanation and nice work. Love to see stuff like this...the tinkering is almost more fun than the shooting :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:52 pm 

For those not crazy about purple there's an easy/cheap alternative: topic64695.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
the tinkering is almost more fun than the shooting :)

So true, especially when the end result yields an improvement. Not that I'm against eye candy mods. To me no mod is more important than ergonomics. The 953's design make it so that the trigger is pushed back towards the butt's end more than in other guns - resulting in a short LOP. This is first thing I try to remedy with any gun as a nice fitting hold is so important for accuracy and comfort, two things that go together. The other is a good trigger, something I haven't gotten into yet but a big beef of mine, a very real issue for me with all my low cost guns I have, but next on the list of things to work on. Thanks for the link you sent, it'll be put to good use in the B2 as it's a good test bed for learning with a low risk factor. As in, should I ruin it, it won't be a big loss.
As for the mod above that too is something I'm glad I got into as it showed me that there's a far easier solution to extending the LOP using foam (as seen in the progression of the thread). Best way to learn - googling only takes you so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 pm 

Have you tried calling Daisy about the sights? A couple of years ago I bought my 953 (without sights) from Pyramyd and then immediately called Daisy to order the target sights. The sights were MUCH cheaper directly from Daisy than from Pyramyd. Half the price (at least). I don't know if that still holds true today with FastEssay. Even if Daisy doesn't have the sights in stock, ask them how much a set could be. If ordering a plain 953 from Pyramyd and waiting a month to order the sights from Daisy yields approximately the same price as buying a combo (with the lesser 5899 sights) from Pyramyd now, I'd go the separate route and just shoot for a month with the stock 953 sights while waiting to order from Daisy. You will like the target sights better than the 5899 sights.

Also, when I ordered the sights from Daisy, I also ordered the stock extensions they have for the 853 (or were they for the 753?) Daisy said they won't fit my 953. But they do. I have them on my 953 right now. They don't look as nice as they do on the stocks they were designed for, but they attach solidly and function perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm 

Alessandro01 wrote:
Have you tried calling Daisy about the sights? A couple of years ago I bought my 953 (without sights) from Pyramyd and then immediately called Daisy to order the target sights. The sights were MUCH cheaper directly from Daisy than from Pyramyd. Half the price (at least). I don't know if that still holds true today with FastEssay. Even if Daisy doesn't have the sights in stock, ask them how much a set could be. If ordering a plain 953 from Pyramyd and waiting a month to order the sights from Daisy yields approximately the same price as buying a combo (with the lesser 5899 sights) from Pyramyd now, I'd go the separate route and just shoot for a month with the stock 953 sights while waiting to order from Daisy. You will like the target sights better than the 5899 sights.

Also, when I ordered the sights from Daisy, I also ordered the stock extensions they have for the 853 (or were they for the 753?) Daisy said they won't fit my 953. But they do. I have them on my 953 right now. They don't look as nice as they do on the stocks they were designed for, but they attach solidly and function perfectly.

SPAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:18 pm 

Nice work. thanks for the pic essay, very clear.