Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:57 pm 

Hi all, I'm looking to get an air pistol, almost exclusively for indoor use. I'd like to stay with a rifled barrel for .177 and I'd also like to stay away from multi pumpers and CO2. Just one pump, shoot, repeat. I'm pretty sure I've got it narrowed down to the Browning Buckmark and the Beeman P17, but I'm open to suggestions of other air pistols. As far as I'm concerned, accuracy and reliability are the two most important aspects here, as well as budget, obviously. Both the Browning and the Beeman are about the same price from what I've seen.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:02 pm 

The Beeman P17, a Chinese clone of the HW40, is a good bang for the buck, especially for indoor shooting. It is a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) and should give good accuracy. The Buckmark air pistol is a break barrel spring piston airgun and as such will be more challenging to shoot with accuracy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:15 pm 

I have/had both.

The P17 has fibre optic sights, more accurate and better trigger. But a bit harder to load. But requires resealing more often 500 shots or so. Seal kits are not $$$.

Buckmark - terrible trigger, I mean its BAD. Fits the hand good. Had a weaver rail on the top. I found the lock up pretty loose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 pm 

Have you considered a Daisy? Target pistol.

I feel the quality would be better and the guns more accurate. Have a look at the 2 for sale on D&L's website.

Side cocking. $210 & $260 respectively.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:27 pm 
Site Moderator

The P17 is a nice shooter. I bought mine about 5 years ago. The seals are just common nitrile o-rings that you can get from a hydraulics shop for about 50 cents each. The original seals might not last too long but they are easy to replace and the upgrade nitrile seal should last many thousands of shots. The Daisy 717/747 use a similar seal on the pump piston. Keep them wet with 30W-ND oil and they will be fine.

Do a search for "Beeman P17" with "TCooper" and you will find dozens of old posts that I did when I first bought my pistol. You can find comparisons between the P17 and P3, o-ring sizes, accuracy numbers, velocities. etc.
search.php?keywords=beeman+p17&terms=all&author=tcooper&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:56 pm 

A P17 is a right of passage; everyone must have one. Why not start with the cheaper pistol because you won't "need" another.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:03 pm 

I'd get the P17, plus they're super cheap. The O-ring thing is mostly about the one on the piston, which is damaged by classic low quality mfg work and starts leaking. You can shoot it as-is and see if yours starts leaking, if it does I can explain how to correct it. Basically there is a small hole in the compression tube that has whatever misc burr from machining, so you simply sand it smooth, replace the O-ring which is an AS568-117 (.103" sectional thickness and .799" ID) more or less, it won't be, nor does it need to be exact. For example some people use the next size down -116.
There are some other O-rings inside but they seem to hold up as a general rule.
Then there are some mods you can do to the gun, like increasing power a bit, making the trigger better etc. I have pix of most of the stuff I did, which I may have posted here somewhere? Or you can just email me and I'll send 'em. chevota at hotmail. Plus all the stuff TCooper posted. I imagine between us it's likely information overload? But overall the guns are pretty cool, especially for the $.
The Browning is a springer, and if you've never used one I'm not sure you'll like it since most people do not. The front sight is kinda pointy and right where you put your hand to cock it, that alone is a deal breaker for me. Cock it over and over and I quickly do not want to play anymore. Some guns have an extension that attaches to the barrel to avoid that and make cocking easier, but that brings the oal to more of a short rifle, and may need to be removed each time to shoot. They are typically very hold sensitive guns, jump around a lot and as a result can be difficult to shoot accurately. They also make a rather annoying sound. The P17 doesn't really move when fired, just the slightest recoil from launching the pellet which you will barely notice, it's not hold sensitive and the only real noise is the muzzle blast of air similar to a CO2 pistol.
The biggest complaint on the P17 is that leak issue, and loading pellets. The leak is fixable, if it happens, and loading is no biggie once you figure out how to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 pm 

I had the previous version (was it by Marksman 12 yrs ago? Todd would remember).

Accuracy was just crazy good and I was shooting practice golf-balls at 15+ meters using a red-dot.

I went through a few of them as the trigger was sometimes yucky - but that was a previous cheapo model.

I think you would enjoy the P17...

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:09 pm 

Ive shot both.. the Beeman p17 hands down is a better gun. Not to knock umarex in any way. The beeman is a clone of a very high quality gun, and even if poorly manufactured has better engineering. all the reviews on it are excellent as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:02 pm 

I'd start off with the P17, tried and true.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 pm 

...I too have both.....Unfortunately I bought the Buckmark first....If the P17 was first, I woudn't have the Buckmark at any cost .....ITGUY says look into a Daisy 717 or 727..... I agree, my 727 has all the bases covered for informal target shooting and even some competition under the right circumstances...........P17 is the best bang for the buck but does have some small issues that an owner can address himself , altho' mine has never given me any trouble at all ....they have good fps ...