Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:13 pm 

I sold my Roebel ( side lever bull pup ) because I couldnt find a safe way of holding back the lever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 pm 

I'm not sure how I did it, but I had no trouble holding the lever of my HWB 150 while loading the pellet. It is a side lever and I see quite a number of guys at the club shooting side lever match rifles, HWB and others and they all hold the lever while inserting the pellet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:18 pm 

Nothing too brilliant, but here's a short clip demonstrating how I restrain the side lever on my QB57 while loading. I didn't actually load a pellet, just to avoid any fumbling while shooting the video, as I wanted to keep it as brief as possible.

https://youtu.be/aNAGS-O9Wdg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:32 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Nothing too brilliant, but here's a short clip demonstrating how I restrain the side lever on my QB57 while loading. I didn't actually load a pellet, just to avoid any fumbling while shooting the video, as I wanted to keep it as brief as possible.

https://youtu.be/aNAGS-O9Wdg

That had a stock to tuck under your arm pit. But a QB57/Roebel Bullpup. Its much harder, being that end of the cocking lever is pretty much at the end of the buttstock. Nothing to stick under your arm.

I didnt trust it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
That had a stock to tuck under your arm pit. But a QB57/Roebel Bullpup. Its much harder, being that end of the cocking lever is pretty much at the end of the buttstock. Nothing to stick under your arm.
I didnt trust it.

Ah yes of course. Sorry, I modified my QB57 into a non-bullpup collapsible carbine so long ago that I forgot about the awkwardness in cocking one as-stock. Yeah, that's difficult. Probably not a good idea to buy one if you intend to use it in stock configuration. I remember now, cocking it while restraining the cocking arm with my elbow was a bit awkward, kind of slowed down loading a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
but here's a short clip demonstrating how I restrain the side lever on my QB57 while loading.

Even with the cocking arm fully secured the moment you put your finger in the breech it made me cringe. I'm so staying away from these now. And to think I was contemplating leadslinger's cool looking bullpup.
Even with the cocking arm secured while pulled back can one really trust the spring/piston to not fail and sever your finger?
Shooting airguns is to me, all about fun. Being maimed while doing it don't sound like much fun. Now I know how little critters must feel while at the receiving end of a discharging airgun.

Ace wrote:
as a safety measure you should realistically never trust any cocking mechanism
be it a side lever under leaver or even a break barrel rifle

Pic below caused by a break barrel, in the hands of an experienced user while holding it the proper way. Must add never trust a greased up stock to basic safety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-A0k6tWsQ
In his case it wasn't a failure of the mechanism or accidental discharge. Rifle wasn't even fully cocked and still was enough for this nasty love bite. From now I'm hanging on to that stock as tight as the barrel itself. Ouch.

Attachments:
Springer-Love-Bite.jpg
Springer-Love-Bite.jpg [ 37.68 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:21 am 

The best deal i have seen for safe loading these was a small wood dowel tethered by a string that you drop in the open gate while you load a pellet. Simple and pretty failsafe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:30 am 

Chevota wrote:
That's what almost happened to me with a Diana 52. I was a millisecond from that pix! The bear trap device does not work! I tested it using a pencil in the breech and it skipped right over the teeth of the bear trap and destroyed the pencil!
So I will never shoot and side/under lever again. Break barrels have closed on me a few times but they're way too slow and the motion pushes the breech away from your hand so it's more or less impossible to get pinched.
I'm adding that guys pix to my tuning guide of why I hate those guns.
To be honest I can't even believe anyone thought it was ever a good idea to make such a gun...

I have a 52 and dozens of 48 never seen one fail nor have i ever heard of one that fail could you supply pics of the obviously defective gun and if the trap device was not holding why would you put your finger in there ??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:44 am 

This is why I love the design of the Baikal IZH61 rifle. A repeater springer that doesn't require risking any digits to load a pellet.
Yet I just bought an underlever rifle :-(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:47 am 
Supporting Member

None of my guns (Except the underlever) has an anti-bear-trap device.

The "Umarex" style actions never had them, and the Crosman actions have all had them removed long ago.

I learned early on this forum how to, with 100% certainty secure the breech from closing (holding the barrel or underlever with your hand), and I've followed that advice ever since. It's a habit.

I'd rather trust safety procedures than fallible internal components in the mechanism.

The thought of loading a pellet into an unsecured barrel makes me shudder.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:32 am 

Making a habit of always securing the barrel or cocking arm or under lever is the only way to safely handle spring powered airguns period. I always hold the barrel of my break barrel and I always wedge my fore arm between the stock and cocking arm of my qb57. I have had on one occasion a failure of the bear trap on my 57 and it happened when the set screw that acts as the pivot pin came unscrewed. I've since loctited it in but this happened on the first time my son was using this rifle luckily I had shown him how to brace his arm while loading. I'm a lefty so I find it very convenient to brace while loading, first I cock the lever with my right hand and the immediately prop my elbow against the arm and grab the stock with my right hand at a position to firmly wedge my forearm in place then I load. I have done it so often this way that it it second nature and the same goes for the break barrel I never let go of the barrel while loading make it a habit and it becomes second nature and safe.