Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:01 am 

Hi guys, I am thinking of purchasing the BEEMAN P17 I live in Québec city, Canada. I'm buying this as a WINTER gun, temperatures often go as low as -20 Celsius and even lower. Can anyone who has any knowledge of this product tell me if I will still be able to get a decent shot out of these guns even in theseS " balls freezing" weathers. Here is a link for people who don;t know this model but still have good airgun knowledge THANKS.

http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/beem ... istol.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33 am 

I've never had a p17 however I've never experienced any issue with my break barrel or pellets in winter regardless of how cold the temperature was. Pretty damn cold some days. I don't see why the p17 would be any different.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am 

I live with -35 consistently in the winter. I've had Springers drop around 10fps at those temps. But for over all Target shooting with the P17 you will be fine. Gasoline would freeze solid before a gun would be unusable.

BAM B51 Custom
Crosman 2240 Custom-ish
Career 9mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 pm 

Thanks Guys, this is great help. CHEERS :drinkers:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:50 pm 

I would go with a Benjamin Trail NP pistol, if I were you....

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:52 pm 

Nitro piston isn't affected by cold temperatures...and it hits hard...good for plinking and hunting at close range....and best bang for buck

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:20 pm 

Since the P17 is a SSP it is relying on compressed ambiant air to propel a projectile. So the cold air vs warm air is of little concern once compressed. However, compression is achieved with close tolerances from a rubber seal between the cylinder and compression chamber as one slides along the inside wall of the compression tube and air temperature could have an incident on the seal. Not so with a spring compression mecanism since the spring force remains stable irregarless of temperature...but may have some influence on the seal, as noted by saskairgunkid96.
I don't know at what outside air temperature the seal and its lubrication get affected by cold air. I would imagine the rubber seal would stiffen (become harder) and the lubrication get thicker and consequently the airgun may become more difficult to 'cock'.
One thing for sure...is that bringing a cold metal object from the outdoors into a warm indoor environment has the potential to cause some condensation on and 'inside' a metal airgun. This is something to consider with regards to using your P17 as a Winter Gun.
Would be interesting to keep the Forum posted on what you experience this winter at -20C with a NordEst wind off the St-Laurence while shooting your SSP P17.Image

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:47 pm 

I would say it'll be fine. Springers, nitro included are affected by cold but it has more to do with the lube thickening than anything so it all depends on what's in the gun. I've noticed that after Crosam started claiming cold was not an issue for nitro, and people pointed out that was bs, they switched from grease to a thin WD40 like oil. Better for their claim but not better for the gun.
The only issue I could see with the P17 is if the seals got hard enough that they failed to seal, or if what lube in the gun slowed the opening of the valve or the lube in the bore slowed the pellet. I don't know if you'd notice but I'm sure it does affect it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:59 am 
Supporting Member 2009

I have had the Marksman 2004, which is essentially the Beeman P17, since 2005.
This thing just keeps on going. Its a phenomenal airgun for the price. I haven't changed the seal and must have shot over 10,000 pellets through it. Winter shooting shouldn't affect its accuracy or consistency.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

FX Streamline .22, Benjamin Discovery .22, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Webley Alecto .22, Weihrauch HW40, Beretta PX4, Crosman 22XX .22, Colt Peacemaker BB, Beeman P17, Gamo 45