Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Newest version 1322 mods
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:48 pm 

Hi all! I bought a new crosman 1322 carbine/pistol kit a couple months ago. This is my first pellet gun since I was a kid so I have been having lots of fun with it, and reading up on and watching videos on all the mods people do on these guns. Started doing some mods myself, got the trigger working some better, and did a few power mods.
It was already getting 460 fps on average right out of the box so I didn't have to much to play with.
Anyway my question for you all is why modding my valve actually dropped my fps by close to 5fps over stock valve?
I put a washer behind the pump cup and drilled out the transfer port hole on the valve and angled it. I thinned down the valve stem and angled the edge of the valve stem plastic thingy lol, and I also drilled the end of the bolt and inserted a wire to push the pellet in further and give room for more air to get through transfer port. I put a little oring from a cigarette lighter of to the top side of the transfer port.
I also took a sear spring and exchanged it for the valve spring in the valve.
After all that (I know I was asking for trouble, risking getting it going too fast)
I was getting around 485 fps average.

Anyway I had bought another valve from gravel agency and some spare orings, so I thought I would stick the stock valve back in and see what the difference was, and surprisingly the stock valve was averaging 4-5fps higher than the modded valve!
I put new orings on the modded valve, tried again, nope still the same as it was before.

So! Anyone have any idea why it's shooting less at 10 pumps? Is it a volume thing, since there would be a small amount more volume of air space in the modded valve? Perhaps drilling out the transfer port hole bigger is useless if you don't also do the water line transfer port replacement mod?

Anyway just curious, thanks for any comments!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:24 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
. . drilled out the transfer port hole on the valve and angled it . . . since there would be a small amount more volume of air space in the modded valve? . . .

When doing mods, it's very important to do them one at a time, a little at a time, to avoid overdoing "something" and be left wondering which "thing" it was. . . . :wink:

Excessive port volume isn't conducive to efficiency in any valve.
Excessive valve volume isn't conducive to efficiency of a dump valve.
Hogging out the valve can be conducive to greater power, if you're building a gun that you intend to pump far beyond the recommended value of 10. Over enlarged porting is never good. . .

Without seeing the valve(in hand) I'm guessing you got a little exuberant in your porting efforts. . . The good news is; you can always completely fill the exhaust ports with JBWeld, and completely reconfigure the exhaust side of the valve. Little bit tricky, but completely doable. With the exception of the transfer port, stock porting is already pretty generous for an 11" barrel application. . .

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Ice Maker Mod. . . . YMMV.

Pffft. 5fps. Negligible. . . . . You're right though; they are fun!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:37 pm 

Thanks! Yeah you're right, I got a little carried away and should have been testing it step by step.
Was having fun watching videos and reading forums and went to town, lol.
So if I understand you right I was doing the wrong mods, more for guys that like to pump lots, lol.
Well, I have the stock valve anyway and it's right at the limit of legality with just the extended bolt probe wire and a 5 cent washer behind the pump cup. Lol, could have saved myself a lot of time and effort and only 5 cents if I'd stuck with that to begin with! All part of the fun I guess!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:49 am 

One way to take advantage of an enlarged volume valve is to increase hammer spring tension. This Will work if you are inclined to do the extra pumping bit... Work With a chrony, and keep an eye on velocity.

Watch your valve wall thickness. It don't take much hogging to get them to Crack under pressure.

By far, thwe best efficiency mod is still the flat top piston and faced off valve-- especially with the current tightly toleranced 13-XX line. Most favored mod of mine is the 17O1-P trigger mod... spendy, but worth every nickel.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 am 

Thanks Doc! Will have to check out that trigger mod. Where is the best place to order from?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:03 pm 

I've dealt almost exclusively with Eric at scopes and ammo for crosman parts. High level of service- at least in my not so humble experience...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:12 pm 

Sounds good! That must be the adjustable sear you are talking about that also fits benjamin discovery?
I had been thinking about buying the adjustable trigger spring attachment but it also is pricey for such a small bit of metal.
If I bought the adjustable sear, would there be any need for the adjustable trigger spring mod or the spent 22 casing mod on the spring?
That Xisico XS60c he has on sale looks like a nice gun to convert to a hpa gun as well!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:53 pm 

17O1-P trigger mod is replacement of the entire grip frame. A new non waisted hammer will have to be fabricated... maybe "spendy" is too light a term.

Completly different sear and trigger system...

I've tried all manner of trigger and sear mods- none come near the control and precision of the 17O1-P unit...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:42 pm 

Ok thanks, I didn't see that one listed on scopesandammo.com, sounds pricey, but would be great to try it out someday!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:04 pm 

I don't think it's a regular list item on the site.
Ordering them has never been a problem using the "Contat us" button on the site.

D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:27 am 

If your looking to purchase a 1701p trigger assembly,I believe canadashootingsupplies.ca has them in stock . I would suggest you also purchase the 1701 hammer and striker to complete the assembly. Original hammer can be used but modifications will have to be done in order to work properly with the new drop sear trigger system.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 pm 

Thanks!