Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:52 pm 

I have my music students shoot at my indoor targets frequently.

I'm looking for an indoor rifle, high quality, that is a bit lighter than my AA MPR 400 which I use for Field Target. The simplest solution would be to get the ultra-light sporter version of the same rifle, which comes in at about 5.5 pounds. I'd like that too, but it is almost $800.

The current favorite amongst the kids (ranging in age from 14-19) is my Hickified (one of Joe's wonderful stocks) Crossman PCP 1701P Silhouette pistol. Good trigger, fine accuracy. I can stick with this, but a rifle would be nice.

I know you'll not be short of suggestions, but keep it and 6 pounds or less. Preferably less. Doesn't have to be PCP but that would be my preference. :D Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:54 am 

The Brocock Concept looks like a nice little gun. They have a 495 and full power, both single shot
https://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutd ... ocock.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 pm 

YES I concur on the lightweight Concept - Gord - you will see mine Saturday afternoon.

I have been advised that Daystate has now bought Brocock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:50 pm 

I've had a number of teenagers shoot with a Daisy 853C.

For a nice entry level PCP, how about a Air Force Edge? (about 6lbs)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:52 pm 

All good suggestions. Had that Daisy, and gave it to a student! I'd buy another but it's trigger is dicey. Great shooter, though. Love the edge, but it's pricey and needs a sight so we're pushing a grand before I get one. Same objection as to what I have to an AA400 - pretty much a G before it's operative. I have a couple of Talons myself (.22 and .25, upped custom to Condor velocities - too much for indoor shooting.)

The Brocock comes in at about $650 tax in and delivered. I'll see one tomorrow which will be neat.

I've also been toying with the idea of that CO2 Chinese job that the Forum store sells . . . . at $160 it might do the trick. We'll see.

Making these kind of decisions and seeing what the guys on forum say is always fun!

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:16 pm 

Just a cost saving idea- since you already have a decent trigger and stock in that 17O1-P...

Get a 24" LW bbl for it. Not hard at all to back such a beast down to less than 5OO using it's hammer adjustments. A Crosman 174O bbl Will turn the trick, if you can find an original version...

Regards,

Doc Shaptail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:11 am 

Hi Gord. Might I suggest the disco.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:50 am 

Being the everyone from the U.S. ROTC, Canadian Cadets (all stripes), many schools with a shooting program (U.S.) and the NRA junior training all use the 853c you just can't go wrong.
You say you got one with a dicey trigger...that's not normal so don't let that be a factor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:36 pm 

X2 for the Disco, I shoot mine in my basement range all the time. Inside I tend to use bulk C02 instead of HPA. Plus the Disco gets an insane amount of shots on C02.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:07 am 

All good suggestions, every one!

I think you're all in cahoots to have me spend money and get in trouble for having too many guns like the rest of you!!! :D Except I'm single and it won't work.

Still undecided. Loved Daryl's Brocock, but I want one in .177 so might have to order it. If it's going up in price, might look at the AA400, again, and another Daisy 853 would be good . . . . but I'll leave my 1701 as is I think. Might have to get a Disco just because, anyway. :D

Keep the ideas coming and stay tuned. Going to sell a few I don't use to finance whatever I get.