Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PAL expires soon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:11 am 

Hey, another request for help.

My PAL expires Apr. 22 of 2017, not far off. What should I be doing for renewal? Wait or do it now?

Post subject: Re: PAL expires soon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 am 

From the RCMP website:

Renewing Firearms Licences

The Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. Individuals who possess firearms or handle them in the course of their work are required, under the Firearms Act, to have a firearms licence. A firearms licence is also necessary to acquire firearms or ammunition.

Firearms licences are generally valid for five years, and must be renewed before they expire. It's the licence holder's responsibility. Renewing on time will help to avoid possible complications and consequences, including being charged with unauthorized possession of a firearm.

The RCMP Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) is making every effort to facilitate the renewal of licences:

The CFP will send a renewal notice approximately 90 days before the expiry date of a licence. For this reason, the CFP needs to be notified of address changes.
Completed renewal applications should be returned to the CFP as soon as possible to ensure the new licence is issued before the current licence expires. Complete and accurate licence applications are normally processed within 45 days.
The fastest method to return your application is to renew online using Individual Web Services. Your application will be acknowledged immediately upon submission.
It is important to notify the CFP of address changes so renewal notices and other important information are sent to the correct address. This can be done online or by calling the CFP.
If your licence is about to expire but a renewal notice has not been received, you can download an application form (RCMP 5614) from the CFP Website, request it by mail, or renew online.

Advantages to renewing a licence before it expires include:

The CFP uses a streamlined process for renewals, whereas a longer process is used for individuals who do not have a licence or whose licence has expired.
Those who renew avoid the risk of having their registration certificates revoked and permanently losing their grandfathered privileges for any prohibited firearms they possess.
The risk of penalties for unlawful possession of firearms can be avoided.

Eligibility

Eligible individuals have a valid PAL that is about to expire and licence privileges that are not being changed. It is not necessary to possess a firearm to be eligible for a PAL.
Fees

The fee payable by an individual for the issuance or renewal of a PAL is $60 for non-restricted firearms only, and $80 for any combination of non-restricted, restricted, or prohibited firearms.
Information

For more information, contact the CFP.

This fact sheet is intended to provide general information only. For legal references, please refer to the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act and their corresponding regulations. Provincial, territorial and municipal laws, regulations and policies may also apply.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:41 am 

Thank you. I've downloaded the form and will send it away this week.

Cheers!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:55 am 

It sounds like you are right at the time when they will send you a notice but I guess earlier is much better then being late.
Can you not do it online?
Anyway, glad you noticed the expiry in time ... going past is definitely not what you want to do.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:41 am 

My last PAL renewal i sent it 5 months in advance and i had to call for a grace period. It arrived 2 weeks after it expired.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 am 

Fill it out and submit it online and you will have it in less than 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:28 am 
Supporting Member 2009

AirForceAddict wrote:
Fill it out and submit it online and you will have it in less than 2 weeks.

Mine is up for renewal in July, I'm starting now. I called and asked a few questions, the lady said doing it online was much faster, it is in the system right away once you send it. My current issue is the photo, they have a bunch of conditions that it must meet. I read on another forum that most just take a selfie and send it, don't over think it they say.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:49 pm 
Site Moderator

My PAL expires at the end of February 2017. I got the email notice from the RCMP on how to do it online and then I got the notice in the mail. I completed the online version the next day and received my new PAL in less than 2 weeks. It might have been even faster but my wife wasn't home when I applied so I couldn't get her to do the electronic signature. She received a message on our answering machine requesting her to call the firearms application person. She called back and left a message saying she was fine with me having a PAL and that seemed to be good enough for them. If I did it again I would have waited for her to be home and get the signature.

I used a digital image that I did at home with my little Canon camera. Just use a blank wall behind and get the size right.

My new PAL starts when my old one expires. You don't lose license time by renewing early.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:08 pm 

moltogordo wrote:

My PAL expires Apr. 22 of 2017, not far off. What should I be doing for renewal? Wait or do it now?

I would re-new right away. If you need help with that, call & I'll come over - do it on line.
Last time I renewed mine, it too 6 1/2 months and it's a 12/6 R-PAL. I was without a valid PAL for 1 1/2 months so I couldn't go shooting, just in case I was checked while out. Good thing I applied 5 months early.

You have less time, but I think you have a standard PAL.

Call me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm 

Daryl wrote:
moltogordo wrote:

I would re-new right away. If you need help with that, call & I'll come over - do it on line.
Last time I renewed mine, it too 6 1/2 months and it's a 12/6 R-PAL. I was without a valid PAL for 1 1/2 months so I couldn't go shooting, just in case I was checked while out. Good thing I applied 5 months early.

You have less time, but I think you have a standard PAL.

Call me.

I'll do that Daryl. I'd do it online but I'm using Linux Debian and it is a pain to work with on Government forms. I remember last renewal (has it really been 5 years???? :( ) I mailed it in and got it very soon, but I'd just as soon do it the fast way. Thanks again. That was fun on Saturday!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:26 pm 

Yes it was - this coming Saturday? CJ should be able to make this one too. After looking at your picture, I'm not sure I can vouch for you!
LOL N P - just pulling your chain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

TCooper wrote:
My PAL expires at the end of February 2017. I got the email notice from the RCMP on how to do it online and then I got the notice in the mail. I completed the online version the next day and received my new PAL in less than 2 weeks. It might have been even faster but my wife wasn't home when I applied so I couldn't get her to do the electronic signature. She received a message on our answering machine requesting her to call the firearms application person. She called back and left a message saying she was fine with me having a PAL and that seemed to be good enough for them. If I did it again I would have waited for her to be home and get the signature.

I used a digital image that I did at home with my little Canon camera. Just use a blank wall behind and get the size right.

My new PAL starts when my old one expires. You don't lose license time by renewing early.

My experience was similar to Todd's except I got mine WITHIN A WEEK(not BSing on this).I'm in Nova Scotia. As each province has is Chief registrar,is the time to get the renewal related to provincial workload?

FWIW, I found it weird to send in a picture of myself electronically, without someone signing off on it. No doubt they compare previous pictures if you already have(had) a licence. I wish passports were as easy