Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 pm 

I've been measuring the db levels of my various airguns, and while doing so have started to think about ear protection. Spring guns are generally quietest, with my Webley pistols around 89db. This is measured placing the spl meter next to my ear and shooting at an arms length as one normally would, approximating the sound actually hitting the ear.
The ssp pistols, hw75 and fas6004 both register at about 92db.
My pcp Evanix Conquest is about 97db. The Air Arms S200 is at around 102db, plus or minus depending on the set power level. My newly acquired Condor is at about 105db on lowest power with the micro valve, I have not measured it at the highest power setting yet. That number will likely increase substantially at max output.

This info was just given to provide a rough guideline as to the average db levels we are exposed to using airguns.

In general, it is suggested that if you are exposed to constant noise over 85db you should wear hearing protection. I've also learned that as a rule, sounds in the 140-150db range for even very short periods of time (15seconds) could cause damage. This is the range where standard firearms operate. Airguns are not at that level, but maybe hearing protection should be considered even for the more quiet guns? I can only imagine that years of shooting even at lower db levels could cause some damage over time.

Does anyone here use protection regularly? Or do you only use it for high power guns? I've started to wear muffs for the guns producing sounds over 100db, but maybe I'm being overly cautious.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:29 pm 

Not with springers, or with any PCP .22 and below except my souped up Talon. Any PCP .25 and above, yup, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 am 

Yes, when shooting a 10M match...
Sometime when plinking outdoor.

I'm a fan of the Surefire Sonic Defender.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:40 am 

sillymike wrote:
Yes, when shooting a 10M match...
Sometime when plinking outdoor.

I'm a fan of the Surefire Sonic Defender.

Those look interesting and seem to get very positive reviews. How's the comfort level? I've never found in ear versions good for more than about 30 minutes.

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 pm 

I don't usually wear hearing protection unless I'm shooting a match (pistol or rifle) at 10 meters. And that's not as much to protect my hearing, but to help eliminate distracting noises when competing.

All I shoot is air, and my guns are fairly quiet (comparatively). But I'm strongly in favor of wearing hearing protection whenever subjected to loud noises or prolonged periods of noise. I learned that the hard way by riding motorcycles long distances without ear plugs, even when wearing what are arguably the quietest helmets around. The wind noise alone can be very damaging. And hearing, once damaged, does NOT recover. Better be safe.

What I'm using lately for 10m competition is a Bose Quiet Comfort 25 without any music source plugged in. I can still hear (most) people talking to me, but the shot sounds are GREATLY muffled. And those Bose's are very comfortable for me. And most distracting noises are eliminated or greatly reduced.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:57 pm 

Ear muffs, non-electronic ones (or turned off) were best for 10 meter shooting - just because of other rifles shooting each side of me. The muffled reports were not distracting at all - same for indoor silhouette.
When shooting the Condor .25 - yes for indoors. If outside shooting rats, probably not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 pm 

I wear for things louder than a 12ga but that's it. PCP can be annoyingly loud but fortunately I live in the US so I can have a suppressor.
Other than that none of my airguns come close to warranting plugs/muffs. I'd imagine at an airgun range in CA I'd wear for the annoyance factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:34 pm 

fishguy wrote:
sillymike wrote:

Those look interesting and seem to get very positive reviews. How's the comfort level? I've never found in ear versions good for more than about 30 minutes.

I'd say they're pretty comfortable, often have them on for a whole afternoon... kind of forget them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 pm 

I only wear them at the range where they are required.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:21 pm 

So far seems like generally most of us are wearing something for the guns that go boom. I wonder if long term it's beneficial to wear something for the medium loud guns as well... interesting to hear everyone's take on this.

Other goodies!