Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:22 pm 

http://www.replicaairguns.com/posts/201 ... -prev.html

:?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

From my understanding, those Airsoft guns are all sub-495ft per second or 6 joules of energy and are legally considered "Non Fire arms" by Canadian standards unless used in the proceeds or criminal act. We actually sell these guns at our store without difficulty, HOWEVER if one were to mod them to exceed the manufactures FPS or joules of energy you would be entering prohibited territory as these are not only bull pups, but are capable of fully automatic fire.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:20 pm 

The mess is,
if a regular rifle or carbine stock can be removed and action converted to a bullpup - that's prohibited
If a bullpup designed gun (airsoft/pellet/powderburner) can have the stock removed and trigger assembly still intact and fire, that's prohibited.
If a bullpup designed gun has a non-removable stock, it somehow can be legal :roll: (provided it's gone thru the FRT). I talked to a RCMP tech about this over a sub 500 fps air rifle. He ensured me, if I made my own bullpup stock for my sub 495 pellet gun, it would be prohibited, no if's and's or but's and our conversation ended on a sour note.
To my understanding, if you had an airsoft rifle converted to a bullpup, regardless of power, its prohibited.
These stocks can't be removed and for an unknown reason, they are allowed much like the Tavor.
So to answer your question, yes and no, they are and aren't illegal. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 pm 

Travor, Type 97, Keltec RFB are all non restricted bullpups.

Not a huge fan of them. I had a Type 97, dad got a Travor. That chinese bullpup airgun was weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:48 pm 

Neat, I've never shot one so no opinion but shouldered the keltec shotgun. Shot capacity is unreal but can't justify a proper use for it other than spending lots of money on shells

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm 

:roll: :butthead:

Last edited by Daryl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I'd be careful what I divulged on a public forum - according to talks with the RCMP firearms branch over importing what should have been NEW legal Bull Pup air rifles, the store, SSS was informed, after having them OK'd initially, then refused by the "NEW" Mountie in charge of making NEW firearms laws as Ok'd by the current Government: "not allowed, NEW RULES".

So - be aware, there are new rules which will prohibit ALL Bullpups - not declared yet, but are in force (maybe) in Canada.

Check with your MP.

They probably were able to fire it w/o the stock on. Thus bullpup stock = prohib. That is why there isn't many bullpup airguns in Canada. Most seem to be some version of a marauder in a bullpup stock with a linkage to the trigger.

Got a link to these rules ? or is it just hearsay? So one could say don't spread rumors that are not backed up with facts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

The Slayer from American air Arms was refused an FRT number because it is a bull pup. It is made so the action is the stock making it impossible to shoot without the stock . Our RCMP deems whatever they want to be legal or illegal to import or own without just cause or reason . They simply refuse what "they" do not want us to own. SCARRY BLACK RIFLES.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:08 am 

Uh..yeah. :roll:

Shoot out of stock or not has always been complete bs....can shoot a Rem 700 without the stock too....sure wouldn't recommend it though. :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 am 

Yeah it would, but to do so would make it a prohib. if it ended up shorter than 26". A M600 would be fun in a .350 Rem. Mag. - NOT!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Uh..yeah. :roll:

Shoot out of stock or not has always been complete bs....can shoot a Rem 700 without the stock too....sure wouldn't recommend it though. :lol:

Al

Yes but the purpose of a bullpup is to make a rifle compact, but still maintain a rifle length barrel.

You try to shoot a Type 97 without the reciever cover and your getting a bolt in the face. Also the reciever cover also housed the recoil springs. Thus making the stock part of the gun. Without it, It doesn't function.

Most bullpup airguns like I said is just a linkage to a trigger.

And Daryl depends on the barrel length, some of my rifles are still non restricted w/o the stock.. Prohib is if you shortened the barrel less then 18" for manual and 18.5" for semi. You can register a Non R to be a Restricted.

The problem was that they called airguns firearms. Maybe we should get together and fight the government to change the status of airguns.

Technically for a PAL Airgun for it to be a rifle and non restricted, needs to come with a manufactured barrel and over 26" OAL. A 2260 with a 10.1" barrel and 2289 carbine stock is 1/2" too short for NR status. Even though the air tube is longer than the barrel. Slap on a 1/2" recoil pad and there. But if one was the cut the barrel less then 18" would be in trouble. But buy a factory 14.5 or 12" and be legal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 am 

Al[/quote]

Technically for a PAL Airgun for it to be a rifle and non restricted, needs to come with a manufactured barrel and over 26" OAL. A 2260 with a 10.1" barrel and 2289 carbine stock is 1/2" too short for NR status. Even though the air tube is longer than the barrel. Slap on a 1/2" recoil pad and there. But if one was the cut the barrel less then 18" would be in trouble. But buy a factory 14.5 or 12" and be legal.[/quote]

Hmm, I think the stock would have to be permanently fixed or pinned. I am not sure how that works, I was curious about my ATP2 and sending it over the line to be NR. But for the ATP2, pinned stock, I am still just under 26" OAL and would need to silver solder a longer muzzle or find a longer barrel, but then it wouldn't break down and go back in the case :cry: . I haven't inquired if it would be technically RPAL or NR since it began its life as a pistol.
Sorry for getting off topic, but has anyone brought a 2240 style platform or similar into NR class? Or is that just a no-no.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:02 am 

I recently completed my CRFSC which was taught by the RCMP resource leading the gun regulations team. A gun enthusiast without question. I flat out asked him why is a AUG prohibited where the Tavor is non-restricted. His answer. "We dropped the ball on that one. We specifically named the framed receiver for the AUG when making the regulation allowing other manufactures framed receivers to be deemed legal." My strong impression is their intent originally was to ban all bullpups and that they are working towards that in the present day. Doesn't explain how the KSG got through. Just madness.

Isn't the rotary mag for the 1022 going to be classified as prohibited in the near future? Oh sorry I'm going off topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:42 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I recently completed my CRFSC which was taught by the RCMP resource leading the gun regulations team. A gun enthusiast without question. I flat out asked him why is a AUG prohibited where the Tavor is non-restricted. His answer. "We dropped the ball on that one. We specifically named the framed receiver for the AUG when making the regulation allowing other manufactures framed receivers to be deemed legal." My strong impression is their intent originally was to ban all bullpups and that they are working towards that in the present day. Doesn't explain how the KSG got through. Just madness.

Isn't the rotary mag for the 1022 going to be classified as prohibited in the near future? Oh sorry I'm going off topic.

RCMP prohib 1022 mags over 10rds..All because the Ruger Charger which is a restricted.

They prohibed a bunch of para military looking guns because they looked evil.

offroad720 wrote:

Technically for a PAL Airgun for it to be a rifle and non restricted, needs to come with a manufactured barrel and over 26" OAL. A 2260 with a 10.1" barrel and 2289 carbine stock is 1/2" too short for NR status. Even though the air tube is longer than the barrel. Slap on a 1/2" recoil pad and there. But if one was the cut the barrel less then 18" would be in trouble. But buy a factory 14.5 or 12" and be legal.

Hmm, I think the stock would have to be permanently fixed or pinned. I am not sure how that works, I was curious about my ATP2 and sending it over the line to be NR. But for the ATP2, pinned stock, I am still just under 26" OAL and would need to silver solder a longer muzzle or find a longer barrel, but then it wouldn't break down and go back in the case :cry: . I haven't inquired if it would be technically RPAL or NR since it began its life as a pistol.
Sorry for getting off topic, but has anyone brought a 2240 style platform or similar into NR class? Or is that just a no-no.

Stock doesn't have to be perma pinned. Being it requires tools to take it off.

Once a pistol always a pistol. You would need to find a longer barrel, being that FH or extensions doesn't add to the OAL. Its like putting a stock on a Glock 17 and longer barrel. Its still a Glock 17.

Only way of making a 2240 into a Non Restricted is replacing the 2240 maintube with a 2260 and keeping it 26 " OAL, by adding stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 pm 

Thanks leadslinger, that's what I thought, once a pistol always a pistol.

Also, there is some recent activity on the 10/22 mag ordeal. It gets pretty political -> gundebate.ca