Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:00 am 

Hey folks. This might be a dumb question, but I've been searching the exploded parts diagram for the .177and .22, it's not easy on my phone, but the appear to be identical except for the Barrel assembly. Is this all I would need to change to switch it from .177 to .22. and obviously the washer for the breach.. can any one else here vouch? I'd love to just open both side by side andcompare but are unable to on my phone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:46 pm 

The only diff is the barrel itself. The pin connecting the linkage is a rivet that needs to be drilled out, then either a new pin installed or make a press fit pin from scratch.
The breech deal may or may not need shims, can't tell until it arrives.
If you have a 500fps gun then in 22 it'll be much slower than that it was. If you wanted to bring it back up to 500 you'd need to do some other work.
The parts list pix is the same for both guns, just diff part #'s for the two barrels.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:23 pm 
Site Moderator

Contact your supplier to find out if the "barrel assembly" includes the cocking linkage, rivet, alive spring, and alive jam. If not, then maybe you should add these items you your order. I would also add a new set of breach washers, bushing and break bolt. You might as well get a new breach seal too. Lots of these little parts are cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:30 pm 

My guess is Gravel Agency etc just gives you what Crosman gives them, and I've found that Crosman sometimes includes those items, but it seems to be a fluke so basically don't count on it. When Crosman says "Barrel Assembly" in the parts list they mean the barrel and barrel block. I assume this is because they glue them together. Some will come apart without too much effort but I just leave them in because why bother. As for the little parts, they can all be removed from the old barrel so really it's up to you if you want to recycle or buy new, which basically boils down to the question; do you want just the new barrel, or both to be functional? The only option imo with having two functional barrels is do you want each to have it's own cocking linkage, or share the orig linkage. If shared then you need to make a couple removable pins that hold said linkage, or one pin and take care to make it fit both barrels.
I posted here somewhere about making those pins, I think, but can add it here if interested.
Also, there are two linkages, the stamped steel one that comes with the more generic guns, and a cast one that comes with the Trail.
Stamped: B18-07-00 and I est $9CA.
Cast: BT9M22-04-00, I think is the #. No idea on the $ but obviously more.
The cast is certainly nicer and probably impossible to cause an issue. The stamped can sometimes cause an issue but I have a fix if it ever does.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:09 pm 

yes, by barrel assembly I mean the barrel and the barrel block (breech area I suppose) I looked on the gravel agency site and apparently the part is now obsolete, so I couldn't order it from them. I guess my next option would be attempting to change the barrel inside of the block. Which I imagine is quite a tricky operation given that I have no tools what so ever.. Maybe I should just leave it as is and at it as another gun in my "collection" Or maybe I'll post something in the wanted section. Thanks for the info chevota.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm 

If you want to do the swap I would order from Eric. He can put together whatever parts you need rather than guessing with Gravel. He usually checks the quality before shipping as well.
If you are going to do it, you could get one of the nicer bull style barrels from one of the higher end B18 style guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 pm 

Care to ellaborate a little more for me paddy? I don't know who Eric is and I'm kind of a bit of a laymen in the other departments.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 pm 

Darkstar wrote:
Care to ellaborate a little more for me paddy? I don't know who Eric is and I'm kind of a bit of a laymen in the other departments.

www.scopesandammo.com They are located in Ontario and ship within Canada. Eric is a member here.

Many of the Chinese made Gamo B18/19 clones that Crosman sells have interchangeable parts. The Quest/Phantom/Optimus are the bottom line. You can use one of the barrels from a higher end B18/19 if you want to, as they come in different lengths, and styles. Some have jackets over the barrel, some have muzzle brakes built in and so on.

They have so many different names now, it would be hard to make a list. The easiest way to distinguish the B18/19 would be by the trigger group. If it looks the same as on your rifle, it likely is the same action.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 pm 

The Optimus barrel is obsolete? I was just told by Crosman the NPSS/RNP barrel in 177 is too, now I'm kicking myself for not getting it earlier.
Kinda makes me wonder wth. The NPSS isn't made anymore as far as I know so I can see it being dropped, but I would've assumed open sight barrels in 22 are still used? If there are no more open sight barrels in 22 then you're kinda screwed unless you want to get a different one and put sights on it. I wouldn't bother taking your barrel from it's block b/c what good would it do, you've got no barrel to put in it. If you buy a barrel "assy" from a Venom or whatever other B18 it'll fit your gun so no block worries.
So was this the # you used: B19-3-01-100 (5.5) or B19-3-01-100-5.5
If so try this one: B19-2-01-100C (5.5)
One problem with Crosman is the order taker doesn't know what parts are what, all they do is plug in the # into the computer. So it pays to find alternatives which may have an update or something insignificant but it'll work. An open sight barrel, if you find one, may or may not come with sights. If all fails just get a muzzle brake barrel then put your sights on it, or buy new ones:
Front sight; B19-2-01-1B, rear sight; B19-2-02-00.
There are two brake style barrels, the older one with a nice steel brake, new with plastic (ugly imo) brake. A muzzle brake barrel may or may not come with a brake but odds are the older steel style will not.
Other than the above barrel #'s there are probably some CA #'s for shorter barrels, but I don't have those #'s.
Then there's the shrouded barrels which I prefer, but if they didn't have a functioning suppressor I'd still prefer them b/c they feel better when cocking; nice n fat n smooth. The suppressor barrel is the same price, which I assume is ~$31CA, the shroud itself is three extra parts and I'd guess ~$2.30ea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:55 am 

The shroud parts are cheap .Less than $7 for all three parts.Shipping was $12.25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:56 am 

So am i correct in understanding that any barrel assembly model starting in b19- will be a bolt on change? I'm not worried about open sights or shrouds or muzzle breaks. Unfortunately hahah I'm just into aesthetics and am more concerned with practicality. At work today I will search the Crosman exploded parts diagrams and find a Barrel assembly I like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 am 

After searching the gravel agency sight with B19-2-01-100C (5.5) I recieved no results. It can up with b19-7-03-100a and b19-03-100b the first being a .22 Barrel assembly with muzzle break for pre 2013, and the other for post 2012. Would the date of manufacture be on the air rifle or box?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm 

Crosman has a date code look up for some of their guns.
http://www.crosman.com/discover/crosman ... duct-dates

If your Crosman airgun was manufactured after July of 1975, the first three or four digits of the serial number indicate the month and year the gun was built. For example if the first three or four digits of the serial number were 1179 or N79 then your gun was manufactured in November of 1979.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:35 am 

Thanks! I'll have to give it a check when I get home. Then I'll have a look see. This is all research as it will be a week or two before I can order the Barrel assembly. Lol, dump 100$ extra into a 100$, airgun. Should stop buying these guns with the sole intention of modifying them but I think I've become hooked and its becoming a borderline obsession for me. Oh well! Everyone needs hobbies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 am 

Buy used ones when cheap and mix and match parts.