Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 am 

As most of you know, I teach violin, cello and piano, and I keep a target area open for my students to shoot frequently during the occasional lesson. I'm still toying with a light PCP or Co2 rifle and am as confused as ever, but I've decided to get a pistol as well.

One of three - the Crosman 2300T, the Daisy 747 Triumph, or the Weihrauch HW 40 P. Which one, and why? I think they'd all do the trick and they are all roughly the same price, but I'm interested in comments from owners, especially those who've had all three.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:29 pm 
Supporting Member

Here is my 2 cnts for what its worth. I would go with the 747 or HW40, and of the two would probably lean toward the HW. First, the shot to shot consistency will be better compared the CO2 powered 22xx which loses fps as the pressure drops. Also, I find that for training purposes having to break the barrel/lever, or pump the ssp for each shot makes one appreciate each and every shot that much more, which for me translates to better focus on each shot as each one requires a little effort to prepare in cocking and loading. Thats why I would never start a new shooter out on a repeater or semi auto style pistol. Finally, because the HW is light weight and very quiet, it is not going to be too intimidating for new/young shooters to start out on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:39 pm 

raezor wrote:
... Also, I find that for training purposes having to break the barrel/lever, or pump the ssp for each shot makes one appreciate each and every shot that much more, which for me translates to better focus on each shot as each one requires a little effort to prepare in cocking and loading.

Agreed.
And point out the book Zen in the Art of Archery, which is easily translatable to marksmanship.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zen-Art-Archery-Eugen-Herrigel/dp/0375705090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484505418&sr=8-1&keywords=zen+and+the+art+of+archery

Every shot is the most important thing.

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 pm 

I only have one of the three - the Daisy 747, but I also have a 2240 and a Beeman P17 which are similar to the other two. My recommendation is the 747. Absolutely my favourite pistol from a shooting perspective. No CO2 to keep replacing, and very easy to cock, very quiet and very accurate. Anyone who says the P17 is easy to cock probably lifts weights and does pushups on their fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 am 

Thanks guys. I did have an HW 40 at one time, and I liked it. I did find it reliable, trigger not bad, but too tight for my big hands to comfortably load and unload. I know I'll be loading it lots for the kids at first, and this was the reason I sold my original, although I had no issues with its performance. I have also had Crosman 240s modded and I don't mind the powerlets, but I also have a 1701 Silhouette and it might have spoiled me for the trigger on the lesser Crosmans - its a PCP and has a great trigger, unlike the 2240. I'm thinking the 2300 T might be more similar to the 2240 than the 1701.

Maybe this time I'll give a 747 a try - I had good luck with their target rifle. Thanks for the input! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm 

The 23OO-T on the D and L site shows a 17O1-P grip frame. Price point no where near the pcp gun...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 pm 

I'd go with the HW40 (in fact I'd go with a Beeman P17, everyone should have one of those).
It's a cheap way to find out how you like it and more accurate than most of are for a fraction of the price.
I personnaly did not like the 747. I didn't like the side lever, it felt weird in my hand and I didn't like the way the lever was sticking out.
And if you see someone who's good and likes to shoot the pistol and would like one just like it, you can just ask him 20$, 30$ or 40$ depending if you want to give it or make a profit and the gun is his or hers and you can buy yourself a new one. :wink:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:29 am 

Thanks for all the input. I've ordered a P17 - from everything I can find about it, it's almost the same pistol as the HW 40, so I'm certainly going in that direction. Should do for my purpose.

I remain curious about the 747 so will keep my eyes open for a used one in the for sale section of this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 pm 

moltogordo wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I've ordered a P17 - from everything I can find about it, it's almost the same pistol as the HW 40, so I'm certainly going in that direction. Should do for my purpose.

I remain curious about the 747 so will keep my eyes open for a used one in the for sale section of this forum.

The grip on the 747 is much better even if it's plastic. Almost as good as a real target gun. But like I said the side closing stroke and pump handle felt awkward to me and I'd say the P17 is at least as accurate if not more than the 747. :shock:

I don't think there is a better value on the airgun market. There is no way you can beat that kind of accuracy for the money.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

Got the P17 in today. Just like old times . . . I like it.

But it's waaayyyy to hard for kids to cock. lleader was right on this one. Looks like I'll go to the Daisy for them. After a couple of shots, the first user lost interest and went back to the stocked 1701 :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

Have you looked at the Browning Buck Mark URX? I have had this one for a short while, and have been pleasantly surprised with this pistol. Some pro's - very low cocking effort, lightweight and evenly balanced, comfortable grip, quite accurate with rifled barrel, solid metal scope mount. A few cons - trigger is stiff and relatively low fps (320 fps). Also neither here nor there is the automatic safety that sets each time the pistol is cocked.
It's a great little shooter right out of the package.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 am 

No I haven't seen that gun. I'll check it out, though! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 am 

Keep in mind that this is a spring/piston pistol. Not sure if the challenges found in a springer rifle applies to a pistol but if it becomes difficult for the kids to shoot accurately, that too could lead to a loss of interest.
Speaking from experience, what has worked for me and my very young kids is the CO2 route. Despite the very large and bulky grips of the Crosman 357, even my 5 year old has no problems pulling the hammer back and shooting it all on his own. Of course, they wear ear protection as should anyone in the very proximity ($4 at Princess Auto). But little guy has no problems at all emptying the 10 shot magazine all on his own and popping tiny balloons 3 to 4 metres away. And since you get well over 100 shots from a single cartridge, it's pretty economical on CO2. Bonus is handling a revolver that (to them) is very realistic and they do love pulling that hammer back, for added realism.

I plan to fix my Gamo R77 revolver which is far more realistically looking and better ergo than the 357, so my boys can handle it a bit easier. Will have to send a member here a reminder, who has offered to send me the seal for the CO2 (same seal as the Gamo PT80). If you're lucky enough to find a used one in good condition, it could be the ideal solution for your young students. Although I'm sure if my 5yo can shoot one, so should anyone with slightly larger hands, so even a 357 could be an option.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

we have had over 50 kid's go threw sharpshooters and the 717 and 747 are best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:57 pm 

Where are the Adult's Safety Glasses?