Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:10 pm 

Hello all,

Looking to get back into shooting, but with an air rifle instead of powder. I don't have a PAL, so going for 500 fps rifle, just gonna do some hole punching. For any given power, which is easier to cock, spring or nitro. I've googled and obtained much info concerning recoil, noise, pros & cons but contradictory info on cocking force. The reason I'm asking is that due to a neurological condition I do not have much strength in my arms. I had a spring gun when I was a kid very long ago but can't remember how hard it was to cock.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:37 pm 

I am coming from powder burners to air rifles also.Just got a Steel Eagle NP2.In the 495 fps version cocking force was 25-27 lbs.With the full power Gas spring cocking force went to 36 lbs a very noticeable difference.Cant help on coil spring guns though.Had mine for 3 weeks now I really like it.You would be paying premium price for a sub 495 fps gun though in np2 platform.A little more cash would buy entry level pcp gun,but then you have the pumping it up issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 pm 

It depends on the gun you get but a coil spring is far more adjustable, and no doubt has a longer life. For example a generic B18 Crosman like a Venom, Phantom and Optimus which are very common, the nitro versions only have two springs to choose from. One is ~30-30lbs at peak, the other ~20-22. The coil version is ~28-30 but adjustable down as far as you want to go. Barrel length is another, the lower power may have a shorter barrel so you lose some leverage. Another is the TR77NP which likely has a very short barrel which greatly increases effort.
The reason for the different cocking efforts is how the power was dropped to 500, and who measured it. Most people use a bathroom scale which is generally not accurate, some are horrible at low weights like that. So one gun may have a full power gas spring but shorter piston giving it up to 30lbs (I'm guessing). Another might have a very light coil spring so maybe <20? Also a guess but point is they vary. You can also mod them to be different, so if you had one with a strong spring and short stroke, you could increase stroke and weaken the spring.
My only low powered one right now is a coil Crosman B18 that takes a mere 12lbs to cock and makes 700+ in 177. So I'd imagine if I used a weaker spring to get down to 500 then cocking would be ~8lbs? A weaker spring also makes for a nicer shooter, less shock, noise etc.
If you just want the easiest with no mods req'd then I guess you'd just have to go to the store and try the different guns, unless someone here has done that and/or measured them all.
Hatsan, at least certain newer models, have an adjustable gas spring but I'd imagine only for full power models? But that pressure is high so if you tinkered with it you'd likely need a high pressure pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 am 

It's pretty much covered above but just to clarify:

the cocking effort will be determined mostly by leverage and spring/gas-spring force

My MTR77 takes over 40 lbs (bathroom scale method) in both 495fps version and full power version due to the method of de-tune

My Phantom 22 495fps takes about 10lbs to cock (doesn't really register on bathroom scale well... can easily cock it with baby finger and I have multiple injuries)

I have some springers that feel like they could be cocked by violently flicking the gun down over my knee...

You could always use a bit of pipe or tubing to lengthen the "barrel" for more leverage or comfort

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 am 

windigo26 wrote:
Hello all,

Looking to get back into shooting, but with an air rifle instead of powder. I don't have a PAL, so going for 500 fps rifle, just gonna do some hole punching. For any given power, which is easier to cock, spring or nitro. I've googled and obtained much info concerning recoil, noise, pros & cons but contradictory info on cocking force. The reason I'm asking is that due to a neurological condition I do not have much strength in my arms. I had a spring gun when I was a kid very long ago but can't remember how hard it was to cock.

Thanks

Sorry to go off topic, but were you aware there are air rifles powered by C02 cartridges? They usually take 2 cartridges and require no cockjng effort at all. Fixed barrel.

An example would be the QB78D or the Xisico XS60C which Eric over at Scopes and Ammo carries. These are light weight rifles in the $200.00 range.

Yes they do cost a little more to shoot. Perhaps an extra two dollars per 50 shots for the cartridges. You should easily get 40 or 50 shots from them on a sub PAL rifle.

Another benefit is pretty much no recoil. These rifles are not dogs either. Most people find them pretty accurate.

Another couple of target rifles are the AR2078 and 79. They work the same way. I recently picked up a 2078 thumbhole stock and love it! These are heavier target rifles though, unlike the very light weight QB78D and Xisico.

Personally I have two QB78's, an AR2078, and the Xisico. Fun C02 rifles for sure :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 am 

Anatine Duo wrote:
It's pretty much covered above but just to clarify:

the cocking effort will be determined mostly by leverage and spring/gas-spring force

My MTR77 takes over 40 lbs (bathroom scale method) in both 495fps version and full power version due to the method of de-tune

My Phantom 22 495fps takes about 10lbs to cock (doesn't really register on bathroom scale well... can easily cock it with baby finger and I have multiple injuries)

but I got some Diamond strings earlier and really liked them.
I have some springers that feel like they could be cocked by violently flicking the gun down over my knee...

You could always use a bit of pipe or tubing to lengthen the "barrel" for more leverage or comfort

I feel the same way about springers. The ones I have are just that way.