Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Chip of the day...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:54 pm 

Bit of a story. ;)

I follow this lady gunsmith on youtube who put up a video a little while ago regarding the way she makes reamers/cutters. It's different from how I have been making them...have been using an end mill, and always milling a relief in as well. If you Youtube much, check out her series on building a SAA from scratch. :-*

https://youtu.be/W22DayauMMQ

I have a few fittings I need to make that will be tapped 1/8"NPT, which of course, is tapered. I don't have a tapered reamer, so tapping this has always been sort of...no fun. Thought it was a good time to try out her method of using a dovetail cutter...I have a couple cheapo ones from Aliexpress...they're even carbide of some origin. :o

Turned the taper on a piece of drill rod, polished it up and then over to the mill to cut six flutes. Touched it up a little, hardened it and tried it out on a piece of steel drilled 11/32". Cuts like BUTTER, and tapped easy as pie. 8)

Had a couple other reamer blanks awaiting they're turn on the mill so ran them with the dovetail cutter as well. Will finish them up tomorrow.

As it seems to work rather well and is simple to do, I thought it worth sharing. :)

Al

Post subject: Re: Chip of the day...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 pm 

Nice video, Al, many thanks.... I learned about making chamber reamers from Sean Pero.... Until recently, I had only made a single flute reamer, by removing one 90* segment of the circle.... I just finished making a three flute for my .22 cal Regulated Disco Double, and came up with these generic dimensions for the flutes....

The dimensions are in "calibers".... ie relate to the diameter of the reamer.... The distance you go past the centerline with the end of the mill governs how fast the reamer cuts.... the further you plunge past the centerline, the faster it cuts.... The dotted line represents a single flute reamer.... and they do work just fine, BTW.... I can see the advantage to using a dovetail cutter instead of an end mill if you want to make a six-flute reamer, it would certainly make it stronger.... The generous groove depths of the 3-flute design I used leave lots of room for a pool of cutting oil, and room for chips.... but do reduce the strength....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 am 

This is how I was making them...it's a lot of work and easy to screw it up, which is why I usually put it off as long as possible. The dovetail "method" is SO much faster it just isn't funny. 8)

http://firearmsdesigner.com/?p=353

Al

Edit; Fired up the cad and threw your info into it...looks like you're getting 6 degrees of rake...I went with 5, so pretty much the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:27 pm 

Why yes Al , I am looking for a couple of reamers. In .22 and .25 cal as a matter of fact. Just send me a pm and I'll give you whatever info you need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 pm 

I actually only used about 3.5% of the diameter on my .217 cal reamer (ie 0.007" past the C/L) for the RDD.... which works out to about 4*, and I think it cut a bit too slow for my taste.... I may just try a dovetail cutter on my next one.... Do you use 3 flutes or 6, Al ???

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 pm 

Used 6, no reason 3 wouldn't work I guess.

Finished the chamber reamers today and gave them a quick workout. .25 left a bit of a burr on the rifling that will need cleaning up. Not sure why just yet. Will see about giving it a hone and running it back in...see what happens.

The .30 cut nice and clean, at least there's no perceivable burr when holding the barrel up to the light and looking through. Pellets push right in with no noticeable "bump" into the rifling. Think it'll be pretty darn slick once polished/lapped up.

Play with it some more tomorrow.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:25 pm 

Have been tweaking a new design for a gas booster on and off the last couple weeks and finally started making chips on the prototype yesterday. Made it into town today to get a nut to use as a thread gauge and finished threading, cut the o-ring groove and drilled through. Start the check valves tomorrow....and try my tapered reamer in stainless. ;)

Inlet on the bottom, outlet on top, bleed vent on the side, relatively compact. :)

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 am 

Looks nice, Al.... Air Brake driven?....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 am 

Yes. Hard to beat the price. :)

Will be a little more compact than the first version, have fewer parts, and a little more efficient.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 am 

I should have asked you to make one for me.... The one I built leaked, so a non-starter.... :evil:

Fortunately I didn't that a lot of money invested, bought the pneumatic ram on sale at Princess Auto, along with the control valve....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm 

We can talk after I get the bugs worked out.

A little more progress on the head this morning, still have the check rods to make and the valve for the vent...ticking along fairly decent. :)

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:38 pm 

Little more done....little more to go. :)

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 pm 

Bit more done today. Should be ready to start testing it pretty soon, but before that happens wanted to do a hydrotest. Filled it up with oil hooked it up to the big dead weight tester, bled off the air and ran it up to 350bar (~5076psi) as an initial test. Everything looked good there, so put some more weights on and took it to 700bar. Held it there for 15 minutes, then removed the pressure, drained, dis assembled and cleaned the parts to look for any issues.

None found. I half expected the o-ring on the cylinder head to extrude because I didn't put a backer ring there, and was pleasantly surprised that it did not. Just using 70duro Buna at the moment. 8)

Will run the same test tomorrow with the brass head.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:46 am 

I wanted to write "mad scientist" but everything looks too nice!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:26 pm 

Anatine Duo wrote:
I wanted to write "mad scientist" but everything looks too nice!

X2...well done Al nice work mate... 8)