Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Three Optimi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok, it's really only one Optimus stock and action, and a second Optimus stock with a Quest/Vantage action.

The first photo is an actual Optimus with a stock modified and re-finished as I find the raised cheek piece gets in the way. The front of the stock is the way Crosman made it. The Optimus barrel is shorter than the one in the next two photos.

The second photo is the same stock but with a Quest/Vantage action.

The third photo is a different stock with the same Quest/Vantage action. I re-styled it with a flatter run along the top of the rear part of the stock, and a "forward" angle on the front. I decided to leave it "natural" with just a clear coat to see how it looked. I like it. :D

I just love working on air guns. :D

Peter :D

Post subject: Re: Three Optimi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:54 pm 
Supporting Member

Very nice. What does the copper tubing do?

Post subject: Re: Three Optimi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 pm 
Supporting Member

I like open sights, but not the tru-glo type, so I've put rear peep sights on most of my guns. Two are Williams, and the others UTG.

The front sights have the tru-glo part cut off, and a 7/64" hole drilled vertically to take a 3mm bolt which has been cut to length, installed in a Dremel and turned to shape it to a tapered tip. Two opposing flat sides are created with a tap from a punch, so that a little tool with a slot (I made) can turn them up or down. The UTG rear sight has quite a limited elevation adjustment, so the front sight augments it.

The picture is of an early "model" of the front sight, and newer versions have the bolt diameter narrowed with the Dremel, before a point is put on the top.

Now. The copper tubing is just 3/4" pipe, slit lengthwise, and shaped for a hood over the front sight to keep glare off it, and in front of the rear sight (the Williams don't need it) to reduce glare into it. The interiors of the tubing are painted flat black.

Sorry for the long story, but that's what the copper tubing is for. Sometimes I paint the outside black, sometimes I just steel wool it with 0000 weight so that it shines.

Peter :D