Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:08 am 

I have the Crosman collapsible pellet trap and the curtains are just crap. Is this typical?

The trap works ok in that the pellets don't ricochet back :roll:

But I want to know who amongst you like your pellet traps and what is the model please.
By commercial I mean from a store, not DIY

Thanks!

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:10 pm 

I originally bought one like this...think it was at walmart, but it's been a few years. It's suffered a bit by using airguns with too much power on it, but it is hanging in there for the most part. The silhouettes break, and the whole thing is rather cheaply and lightly made....but it does work.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:19 pm 
Supporting Member

Champion rimfire trap at canadian tire. These are bullet proof - literally. On sale for 60 bucks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/champ ... 0522p.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:21 pm 

Champion Heavy Duty Metal Trap

Gamo Rocker Pellet Trap

but in my opinion nothing is better then your DIY box with duct seal... :wink:
here is mine... 8)
topic54414.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 pm 

Thanks folks - the CTire one is discontinued and no stock in my store, although one is available in another town.

Yeah Ace I have had duct seal (5lb) in my amazon.ca cart for about 4 months now lol

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 pm 

Thank you Ace, that is excellent! I have had my doubts about the duct seal idea (is it not a pain digging out the pellets eventually?) but what you have there is exactly what I need to build for my new 2" metal silhouettes, which I could stand on a shelf inside a nice deep box like that. I also have another 6 on the way ($10 Ebay) so quite an army to shoot at, as well as a couple of spinners to hang.
I watched that bullet trap at CT for months but it was always $90 and I wasn't paying that. Went to about $75 in the local store when they cleared the last one, still too much and now discontinued as stated. There is a similar one on Amazon that used to be $69 but now is much more than that. If it comes down again one day, maybe.
Meanwhile though I need to try and scrounge a thick wooden box from somewhere (rather than paying good money to make one...).

Attachments:
IMG_20170121_135222158.jpg
IMG_20170121_135222158.jpg [ 402.22 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Thank you Ace, that is excellent! I have had my doubts about the duct seal idea (is it not a pain digging out the pellets eventually?) but what you have there is exactly what I need to build for my new 2" metal silhouettes, which I could stand on a shelf inside a nice deep box like that. I also have another 6 on the way ($10 Ebay) so quite an army to shoot at, as well as a couple of spinners to hang.
I watched that bullet trap at CT for months but it was always $90 and I wasn't paying that.

yes after a while it becomes a pain to pick out the pellets, if you pluck them out after each shoot then your OK
but after a while you decide to lave it for the next shoot and then the next shoot and eventually you don't bother
and the box starts to get heavy with lead lol....
so your next bet is to just remove the duct seal and replace it with a new batch... :(

as for the Champion Heavy Duty Metal Trap if you know someone that can weld one up for you, your good to go... 8)
and last but not least i stopped using the trap you see above that i built because it became to heaving and bulky
and I build this one much better and you don't have to do much it comes pretty much built for you just add some wood
to the back and then the duct seal or like i eventually did place an old yellow pages book or something similar... 8)
build it >>> topic57180.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 pm 

DDtank wrote:
I watched that bullet trap at CT for months but it was always $90 and I wasn't paying that. Went to about $75 in the local store when they cleared the last one, still too much and now discontinued as stated. There is a similar one on Amazon that used to be $69 but now is much more than that. If it comes down again one day, maybe.
Meanwhile though I need to try and scrounge a thick wooden box from somewhere (rather than paying good money to make one...).

hey dd. are these any good. I just looked at them on e-bay. they say airsoft but can they take pellet and bb beatings. and the cheapest ones I saw were $14.97 for six. thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:24 pm 

Not sure yet, haven't tried them but will let you know. I am not sure they are really for airsoft (will be trying that as well...) or whether the sellers don't really know what they are talking about as I would not have thought metal is the best target for airsoft. They aren't that thick but probably okay for low power indoor plinking and I have seen other reports on them where it was said they do bend a bit but are easily hammered flat again when needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:06 pm 

I decided to make use of what i had laying around, which was one of those cheesy Crosman folding things. I modified the crossbar that holds the curtains to sit a little deeper as it sort of protruded out the front a little interfering with the cardboard, then used Gorilla glue to make it a NON collapsible trap, then put 10 pounds of duct seal in it.

Majority of the duct seal is on the inside back sloped wall with lesser thickness on the side walls.

I found cardboard of a similar thickness and cut some more, using the original as a template.

I have no intention of picking out the pellets and bb's from the duct seal...once it gets "loaded" I will take it out and see if I can turn it around and get some more use out of it. If not, I'll replace it.

Now keep in mind that even though the duct seal is almost 2" thick on the backing plate, i will NOT be shooting PAL rated airguns in to it.

It is only for very quiet, low power indoor guns like the B-31, Baikal MP61, my new Avanti 499 BB gun if it ever freaking gets here (got my shipping refunded from Cabela's at least) and BB and pellet pistols with longer barrels that dont bark.

I figure 500 to 1000 shots easily before it fills up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:27 pm 

What if you were to take your duct seal trap and drape a bit of thick denim (or the curtain type fabric from the cheapo Crosman trap) over the putty? Maybe the putty would still dampen the impact and stop the pellets without ricochet but the fabric would stop the pellets going into it (and hopefully they wouldn't got through it), then the pellets would drop to the bottom and pour out nice and cleanly. Anyone tried that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:31 pm 

DDtank wrote:
What if you were to take your duct seal trap and drape a bit of thick denim (or the curtain type fabric from the cheapo Crosman trap) over the putty? Maybe the putty would still dampen the impact and stop the pellets without ricochet but the fabric would stop the pellets going into it (and hopefully they wouldn't got through it), then the pellets would drop to the bottom and pour out nice and cleanly. Anyone tried that?

Leather....I'm thinking some thick leather. Probably would stop 95% of all the shots until it wore out thus saving the putty.

What a great idea, thank you Mr. Tank I HAVE some thick leather somewhere and I'm going to plastic rivet it to the trap in front of the duct seal.

EDIT: @ ACE...I love it, the box, the duct seal, spoons, C02...I couldn't use it for anything indoor, but what a GREAT trap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:19 pm 

I use denim in my homemade traps. An old pair of jeans ends up being 6 layers of denim when folded up. I have been using mine for 4 years now and they are still going strong. No picking out pellets just dump it in the trash and your good to go.

Attachments:
20141024_171044-1.jpg
20141024_171044-1.jpg [ 40.16 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:21 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG [ 245.27 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]

I second (or third) the Champion .22 cal target from Canadian Tire. $60 plus 6 bricks of duct seal from Home Depot (they do have it, just no one working there will know what nor where it is...). I set it in a cardboard beer flat to catch any pellets that fall out (at about 120 shots from a cart the pellets stop embedding in the duct seal).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 pm 

Let us know if it works. I've tried all sorts of whacky ideas to stop pellets by damping the impact. Chains and bungees was one idea (NBG...); this idea at least sounds better.
PP, we appear to have hijacked your thread, sorry.