Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:40 pm 

I must be getting close to the grumpy-old-guy category :wink:
'cause I miss the days when we were kids and shooting pellet guns in the backyard was perfectly normal (and acceptable) and legal. Heck, we'd bike across town with the rifles slung over our back and nobody cared...

To get back on topic, I think there ought to be a limit of the number of rules a government can push upon people and there ought to be some actual data to back them up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:46 pm 

Count me in the old and grumpy category as well. Really we are just passionate about our guns. All the regulations would make anyone crazy.

I can't make any sense of the bull pup restrictions. Get a that one outta here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:23 pm 

Take away the moderator laws and the stupid bullpup laws also. Hell I'd be willing to register them if need be .

HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW30 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX 22
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Benji 392 steroid
Sears Roebuck 1400 restomod
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:51 pm 

So, who do you talk to to get changes made?

I probably know the answer to this, but I had to ask anyways :-(.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Just make them the same as the UK: 12 ft lb rifles / 6 ft lb pistols is fine for most things; just apply for a FAC/PAL if you want more than that.
The irony is that having to apply for a PAL to get anything with a decent bit of power opens up a world of firearms that many airgunners (well, me anyway) would not have even considered.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:06 am 

Spaceman88 wrote:

Meet your MP... ask him to explain the rationality of the rules. If they can't come up with actual Canadian data to back it up... it got to go!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Spaceman88 wrote:

Meet your MP... ask him to explain the rationality of the rules. If they can't come up with actual Canadian data to back it up... it got to go!

Yeah, but rationality is not really a strong point with many MP's :-(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:03 am 

They shouldn't require a PAL at all, regardless of power level. Make them firearms if used in a crime and leave them alone for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:54 am 

It should be this way for just about anything.
- Simple possession should not be a crime.
- Bring back firearms safety/education within the schools curriculum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:49 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Don't really like the idea of a 12/6ftlb rule over what we have now. Raising muzzle velocity of rifles for those over 18yrs of age to 700fps while keeping pistols at 500fps sounds better to me.

Would like to see the bullpup rule go out the window. We HAVE minimums for barrel length and overall length...in my mind, that is sufficient.

Al

X2! Otherwise you lose the ability to use 22 or 25 Caliber guns above 600fps. For "pistols" though like modified 1377/22, or 2240/50's they should be treated as a rifle if they have longer barrels and are being used with a stock. It's silly to class these as pistols. Air rifles should be able to have barrels 14" long and be not considered pistols as well. Silly to make low powered guns like this in the same class as powder burners pistols with more than triple the ftlbs.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:04 am 

Stupid law is banning them little plastic crossbow pistols. They shoot plastic darts. You can buy them and get them shipped to your house but they are illegal because a politician got shot by his son on steps of parliament. Ban something because of one incident. RETARTED! Used to play darts with them pistols years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:15 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Stupid law is banning them little plastic crossbow pistols. They shoot plastic darts. You can buy them and get them shipped to your house but they are illegal because a politician got shot by his son on steps of parliament. Ban something because of one incident. RETARTED! Used to play darts with them pistols years ago.

Blowguns are illegal!!! It doesn't get dumber than that!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:03 pm 

Put me firmly in the "grumpy old man" category, but only a complete re-write could fix the stupid in our gun laws..
And I'm not holding my breath that it would, especially considering who is leading the current custodians of our laws!!

But to stay on topic, the biggest single thing about the existing laws that needs to change, is the fact that a bureaucratic action in Miramichi regarding of the classification of a device can instantly make one a criminal, subject to a 5 year minimum sentence... without any notification to comply!

It's happened to me twice in the past 3 or 4 years, with devices that were absolutely legal when acquired. The first time was a non-restricted CZ858, that the lab decided should be prohibited after it had been in the country for 5 or 6 years (BTW, I sold that one to a guy from Canmore - I believe his first name was Mike :mrgreen: ). And the second time was/is regarding 25 shot Ruger 10/22 mags that they decided to make prohibited this past winter.

Far fetched and it doesn't effect you?
Any decision from the Lab (ie regarding barrel shrouds, whether a particular model is sub500 fps or not, etc.) can be reversed without notification, and instantly make you a criminal subject to the 5 year minimum sentence.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:40 pm 

Just remove the one that doesn't really make sense...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:49 pm 

Like to see the end of bull pup restrictions , and of course silencers restrictions for air guns is just nuts.
Shooting pellet guns in my basement I have to wear ear plugs NUTS