Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm 
Supporting Member

Preamble:

About 2 ½ years ago I bought my first air rifle, (my first “firearm” of any sort although in my teens I did a little shooting) and being unsatisfied with the stock trigger set-up I looked around the internet for information. I came across this forum, and have kept coming back ever since.

I discovered that I really enjoyed working on it tweaking, tuning, modifying etc. Everything I needed to know was either somewhere on this forum or found via this forum, and so I began my air gun hobby.

I’m fascinated by the expertise and skills of some of the forum members and I follow threads that will never actually affect how I tweak or shoot, but it’s all part of the enjoyment. (I’m retired; I have the time.)

I now have about a dozen “inexpensive” air rifles which have all been joyfully tweaked and tuned and modified, and all of which cock quietly and smoothly and shoot very well. They make me happy.

But I’ve been yearning to know how they compared to a more expensive rifle.

I simply had to find out, so I bought a .22 Diana 34. (I had planned to get a .177. Don’t ask!)

Finally to the Point!

I thought I’d get a gun which performed everything well right out of the box. After all, it cost about four times as much as some of my inexpensive air guns.

It didn’t work out that way. Cocking it was absolutely horrible, and I had to strip it and re-shape the cocking shoe which helped quite a bit. Then I re-beveled the cocking arm which finally solved the problem. Afterward I repaired the scoring inside the cocking slot caused by the shoe. (This is my first gun with a one piece cocking arm.)

Also, the barrel breech block rubbed the left side of the stock when the gun was cocked, so I glued a washer on the left side bracket to which the stock is bolted. It was a simple fix, but the quality control people at RWS must have been in a meeting when my gun went out the door.

Anyway, while I was at it I gave it a full lube tune with piston buttons etc., and now it works perfectly. (I’ve chatted with the dealer and he’ll let RWS know what happened.)

Diana optimistically rates this gun at 760 fps. After the lube tune with RWS Pointed (14.5 grain and used only for Chrony testing as they’re so inaccurate) it Chrony’d at:

655.1 fps (652.2 fps to 661.5 fps) with S.D. of 2.48.

JSB 5.51 measured at an average of:

597.9 fps (588.8 fps to 605.4 fps) with S.D. of 4.45

I’ve now put over 200 pellets through the gun.

Testing with RWS pointed pellets yesterday averaged:

674.0 fps (18.9 fps increase) (670.0 fps to 677.8 fps) and S.D. of 2.16

Also today with RWS Super H-Point (14.2 grain and the most accurate pellets I’ve found yet in this gun) it averaged:

694.9 fps (691.3 fps to 697.3 fps) with S.D. of 1.78 (the best SD of any of my guns if I did the math right)

696.5, 697.3, 695.0, 692.9, 691.3, 694.8, 696.2, 694.8, 693.3, 696.4

It’s a pleasure to shoot and is very accurate. Recoil is hard but consistent. At ten yards rested with open sights I got a group of five, three in one hole, and two more at 3/8”. I’m sure it can do better but I’m not very good at shooting “rested”. Anyway I want to test outdoors with a scope when the weather co-operates.

I got a “Premium” model because I wanted the tunnel front sight, (I’ve changed the insert to one I got at leeShaverGunsmithing.com/front-sight-insert-cards) and the beautiful stock.

But there’s a “But”……….

Is the Diana “better” than my other guns? That’s of course subjective. All my inexpensive guns have hours of “work” on them, but for me that’s half the fun.

Is it nicer looking? Yes. The stock is beautiful, nicer than anything else I have.

Is it easier/nicer to cock? It’s as good as any of my other PAL guns, and better than most.

Is it as accurate as the best of my other guns? Yes it is and I haven’t tried a scope yet.

Will it be more durable than my other guns? Maybe. But I have a $149 Surge .177 with over 20,000 pellets through it that matches the Diana for ease of cocking and accuracy, (it has a scope) and it’s still going strong.

Is it worth to me four times what I spent on some of my guns which (I think) look very nice, and some of which perform about the same?

I don’t know.

Am I glad I bought it? Yes! :D

But think of the fun I’d have missed if I’d bought a perfectly functioning Diana 2 ½ years ago and never learned to fix/tweak/tune air guns.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:46 pm 
Supporting Member

My own experience with Diana has not been that great. I have a 34 and a 460. I had a 350 which I sold. Quality control seems to be hit or miss. My 460 had some machining errors similar to yours that I had to correct with jury rigged fixes. My 34 is both beautiful and accurate, but it's gritty and creeks like my old arthritic knees when cocking, so needs to be torn apart and tuned. The manufacturer I have been most happy with right out of the box so far is Air Arms, but even they perform much smoother when tuned.

Like you said, getting an inexpensive airgun to perform like a high end one is very rewarding and the tinkering is half the fun. That's probably why I currently have six 2240s in various configurations, none of which looks anything like the original.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 pm 

PeterG wrote:
Preamble:

About 2 ½ years ago I bought my first air rifle, (my first “firearm” of any sort although in my teens I did a little shooting) and being unsatisfied with the stock trigger set-up I looked around the internet for information. I came across this forum, and have kept coming back ever since.

I discovered that I really enjoyed working on it tweaking, tuning, modifying etc. Everything I needed to know was either somewhere on this forum or found via this forum, and so I began my air gun hobby.

I’m fascinated by the expertise and skills of some of the forum members and I follow threads that will never actually affect how I tweak or shoot, but it’s all part of the enjoyment. (I’m retired; I have the time.)

I now have about a dozen “inexpensive” air rifles which have all been joyfully tweaked and tuned and modified, and all of which cock quietly and smoothly and shoot very well. They make me happy.

But I’ve been yearning to know how they compared to a more expensive rifle.

I simply had to find out, so I bought a .22 Diana 34. (I had planned to get a .177. Don’t ask!)

Finally to the Point!

I thought I’d get a gun which performed everything well right out of the box. After all, it cost about four times as much as some of my inexpensive air guns.

It didn’t work out that way. Cocking it was absolutely horrible, and I had to strip it and re-shape the cocking shoe which helped quite a bit. Then I re-beveled the cocking arm which finally solved the problem. Afterward I repaired the scoring inside the cocking slot caused by the shoe. (This is my first gun with a one piece cocking arm.)

Also, the barrel breech block rubbed the left side of the stock when the gun was cocked, so I glued a washer on the left side bracket to which the stock is bolted. It was a simple fix, but the quality control people at RWS must have been in a meeting when my gun went out the door.

Anyway, while I was at it I gave it a full lube tune with piston buttons etc., and now it works perfectly. (I’ve chatted with the dealer and he’ll let RWS know what happened.)

Diana optimistically rates this gun at 760 fps. After the lube tune with RWS Pointed (14.5 grain and used only for Chrony testing as they’re so inaccurate) it Chrony’d at:

655.1 fps (652.2 fps to 661.5 fps) with S.D. of 2.48.

JSB 5.51 measured at an average of:

597.9 fps (588.8 fps to 605.4 fps) with S.D. of 4.45

I’ve now put over 200 pellets through the gun.

Testing with RWS pointed pellets yesterday averaged:

674.0 fps (18.9 fps increase) (670.0 fps to 677.8 fps) and S.D. of 2.16

Also today with RWS Super H-Point (14.2 grain and the most accurate pellets I’ve found yet in this gun) it averaged:

694.9 fps (691.3 fps to 697.3 fps) with S.D. of 1.78 (the best SD of any of my guns if I did the math right)

696.5, 697.3, 695.0, 692.9, 691.3, 694.8, 696.2, 694.8, 693.3, 696.4

It’s a pleasure to shoot and is very accurate. Recoil is hard but consistent. At ten yards rested with open sights I got a group of five, three in one hole, and two more at 3/8”. I’m sure it can do better but I’m not very good at shooting “rested”. Anyway I want to test outdoors with a scope when the weather co-operates.

I got a “Premium” model because I wanted the tunnel front sight, (I’ve changed the insert to one I got at leeShaverGunsmithing.com/front-sight-insert-cards) and the beautiful stock.

But there’s a “But”……….

Is the Diana “better” than my other guns? That’s of course subjective. All my inexpensive guns have hours of “work” on them, but for me that’s half the fun.

Is it nicer looking? Yes. The stock is beautiful, nicer than anything else I have.

Is it easier/nicer to cock? It’s as good as any of my other PAL guns, and better than most.

Is it as accurate as the best of my other guns? Yes it is and I haven’t tried a scope yet.

Will it be more durable than my other guns? Maybe. But I have a $149 Surge .177 with over 20,000 pellets through it that matches the Diana for ease of cocking and accuracy, (it has a scope) and it’s still going strong.

Is it worth to me four times what I spent on some of my guns which (I think) look very nice, and some of which perform about the same?

I don’t know.

Am I glad I bought it? Yes! :D

But think of the fun I’d have missed if I’d bought a perfectly functioning Diana 2 ½ years ago and never learned to fix/tweak/tune air guns.

I could have written that myself. Probably not as well mind you, but the gist of it would be the same. We have exactly the same mentality.

I have 3 times the fun (shooting is almost an afterthought sometimes) with these Chinese things, or Russian stuff than I do with the higher end stuff. I really mean that too. The good stuff lives in the safe or closet, rarely see's the light of day. I drag them out to admire them more than I shoot them.

Now I dont know you at all, how you shoot, what, where, when, and so on, but if you like springers, you owe it to yourself to get at least one Weihrauch. One of those under barrel cocking lever ones that were designed for field target but anyone can own and shoot.

You dont get much change from a G note, they are HEAVY, a lot of them have no sights, BUT they are German made works of art that will be passed down to my middle son when I croak, and will last him a lifetime if he maintains them.

I dont think Diana is in the same league personally and I mean no offence to your rifle, I really dont. Anyone who reads my posts knows I am NO gun snob.

You would not have to think very long to answer your "was it worth it" question with one of them.

All depends what you like too. I've been watching some shot show video's recently and I see some of these $3500.00 PCP monstrosities that (to me) are butt fugly.

Rambling...sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:56 pm 

I don't have a 34 but I do have a 280 so I'll chime in on the Diana aspect which is a certain minimum level of quality. Its good you got a keeper with your Surge, I have a $100.00 Chinese rifle that seen close to 10,000 pellets and its still going strong but as with most airguns its like buying a lottery ticket as to how good an example you'll end up with. My 280's accuracy is only governed by the quality of the pellets it shoots, that being said I have friends who have actually paid more for Chinese rifles at CT and there is no comparison in quality even with the few flaws that I've found in my rifle. Maybe they aren't the same as Weihrauch but I won't concede that because I didn't pay what a comparable Weihrauch cost. As far as tuning or smoothing out the rough spots that happens to all air rifles, I was shopping for an HW97 so I happened to Google "problems with HW97" after reading pages I realized it's all relative and the same thing happened with the TX200. The difference will be when you go to sell it or years from now when you pick it up. Of course the more experiences we have with different rifles the more critical we become but as a rule of thumb when I'm shopping I look up as many recorded fails and then decide if I am prepared to do the work required to be an owner. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:59 am 

I've had my D34 .22 cal. since 2012. It was accurate right out of the box ( with a scope ) , eyes are too old for open sights. It cocked rough and had a lot of recoil and was too loud. Tore it down, it was bone dry , and seal was damaged, it seems RWS does not want to spend money on lubes or quality control. Once I tuned it, put a new seal in it was quiet, less recoil and extremely accurate. I still get 1/2 groups @ 32 yds. As far as fps it gets 707 avg with RWS Super Domes 14.50gr, 696 with Crosman Premier Hollow Points 14.30gr and 644 with JSB Exact 15.59 gr. I like JSB's in all my rifles as they seem to be more consistent in weight and size. But you certainly should be getting at least 650 fps with any pellet in these weights. I think that the D34 is well worth the money and a great value. The more you shoot it the better it will get. I don't know if you are one of those folks that clean the barrel every so often or not, but you really don't have to. I haven't cleaned mine in 3 years. It's not necessary with AG's. It won't really be 'broken in' until you have at least 1000 pellets through it. Enjoy it, it's a classic.

I should have said " Be sure to clean the barrel really good before you first shoot it, but after that, it's not necessary.

"You repair things with tools, you fix things with a hammer, if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem !"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm 
Supporting Member

The weather co-operated, and today I took the Diana outside.

I took off the open sights, and installed a 3-9x50 scope. Sighting it in took a few shots, but once it was set, it stayed that way and I began to enjoy myself. (Ok, sighting it in is kind of fun too as long as the scope co-operates.)

A digression:

I like open sights because they're simple, simple to adjust, you can see the adjustment you've made, and then you can test the result. Trouble is, my eyes aren't getting any younger. (Are there eye exercises one can do, like reading a page in which the font goes from 24 to 10 and back again for each word? Like push-ups for your eyes? I suppose a guy would have to start small with 24 to 22 font, and work his way up. Or down.)

Anyway, although I understand how scopes work and I've looked inside I'm always a little of suspicious of them, particularly the cheapos.

Three of my scopes are UTG and one is a Hawke, and they work really well, but the cheapos will barely focus indoors at 10 yards and the adjustments sometimes seem to wait for several pellets before taking affect. I customarily when adjusting up or right, back off a few "extra" clicks and then dial them back in. I don't know if it helps but it does if you're tuning your guitar. 8)

Getting back to the subject at hand, today I was shooting (RWS Super H-Point) from 25 metres, seated on a small stool with both my elbows on my knees and was able to hit my 6 suspended lead discs and four plus one flip ups all in order with just a couple of misses.

I love the way it shoots. :D

I think the Diana is going to get taken out a lot. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 am 

I have had a few 34 D over the years first one was long before this forum started was a fantastic air rifle needed nothing out of box bought one from sniper needed nothing out of the box have not had one in 8 or 9 years its sad to hear quality is slipping yours is not the only post i have read over issues with Dianna in general .................Oh ya RWS does not make guns just a importer ....

I

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:57 pm 

I can only give you my two cents worth.

There are some guns that are tinkerer specials. I've tried and failed. I'm not very mechanically minded.

So I've concentrated on "out of the box" shooters and been very happy. I take out either of my souped-up (aftermarket parts that simply plug in - I can do that) Talons, or either of my Air Arms PCPs, and I know what they'll do because they've always done it. They're "out of the box" guns. Great guns, too. Not top-of-the-line but as is my wont, best bang for the buck upper end.

The early Hatsan PCPs (I have 4) have been more hit and miss. I have one that just doesn't shoot - it loads but often shoots leaving the pellet in the gun after expelling air, my .25 pistol now no longer holds air, but my .22 and .25 repeater rifles are so far fine. The Hatsan seems to be a tinkerer's gun.

Likewise the springers. I'm happiest with my Weirhrausch 98, and 97. Both great guns, both bought from field target dudes that knew what they were doing with their mods, although the 97 is stock. My Diana 48 is out of the box, shoots well, and has gotten better with use. My Wierhrausch or however you spell it new out of the box 98 was also terrific.

That being said, I'm giving "modding" one more try, as I just bought a Xisco (or however you spell it) X60 Co2 and it has a seal problem so I'm replacing the end cap with an aftermarket job. We'll see how that turns out, because it's a neat little gun. But it won't require lathing, sanding, or any other of those things that I don't do well.

My luck with cheaper springers like the BAMS has been really spotty, and I won't go there any longer. I've given them away.

So my recommendation is to go high end out of the box, because the time and parts for modding a cheaper springer is not money well spent unless you enjoy the tinkering process. I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:59 pm 

Been building and shooting muzzleloading rifles and modern bolt rifles since 1967. I do not like working on air rifles - like Gordy, I'd rather buy then simply shoot.

I have mailed Tony as Sandwell Field Sports in the UK ( http://www.sandwellfieldsports.com ) England, about their HW97 and HW98 'kits'.

Those, I can see as worth while, even though both rifles are pretty much tack drivers as they are - at least to 25 yards. Having that accuracy at 50 yards would be even better.