Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Shooting from a rest
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:47 pm 

For years, I have shot my pistols standing or sitting with two-hand hold at 18 feet.
Recently, I bought the Dan Wesson 715 revolver in both pellet and steel BB. I also have the Dan Wesson 8 inch airsoft.
These are all front heavy. I am not of a heavy build and with moderate wrist strength.
I have just started shooting from a rest position ,seated with legs propped up and a small firm cushion across my knees.
I have the wrists only on the cushion and am seeing some improved accuracy.

I also have some light-weight pump rifles and shoot seated with left leg propped up and left elbow just below the knee.
I had rigged up a small shooting table and tried the rifles with both elbows on the surface but did poorly (?)

So, does shooting from rest/braced position give one an unfair advantage even when shooting alone?
Does anyone use wrist wrapped supports?

Post subject: Re: Shooting from a rest
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:08 pm 

None of those airguns are inherently precise, so I'd say use whatever 'cheat' you can in order to minimize the further enlarging of groups coming from whatever physical and experience disadvantages you may have. With an actual target pistol then yes, shooting from any sort of rest is just cheating. But either way, if it's just shooting alone and not comparing scores with anyone else, who cares? Shoot how you like to shoot. Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
For years, I have shot my pistols standing or sitting with two-hand hold at 18 feet.
Recently, I bought the Dan Wesson 715 revolver in both pellet and steel BB. I also have the Dan Wesson 8 inch airsoft.
These are all front heavy. I am not of a heavy build and with moderate wrist strength.
I have just started shooting from a rest position ,seated with legs propped up and a small firm cushion across my knees.
I have the wrists only on the cushion and am seeing some improved accuracy.

I also have some light-weight pump rifles and shoot seated with left leg propped up and left elbow just below the knee.
I had rigged up a small shooting table and tried the rifles with both elbows on the surface but did poorly (?)

So, does shooting from rest/braced position give one an unfair advantage even when shooting alone?
Does anyone use wrist wrapped supports?

If shooting alone, who are you cheating?

Wrist exercises to build strength work wonders, wrist curls are just one wrist exercise - strengthens the wrists and forearms.
Let the bar rolout to your finger tips, the curm them back in and lift as high as your wrist will curl. The backs of your forearms are on a padded rest, or table top with a towel roll.

The YMCA comes to mind, or just single 5 pound small weights in each hand and do wrist curls.

I did a lot of wrist curls - 40 years ago. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:50 pm 

Thanks guys.-Daryl,your wrists are twice the size of mine as you now do curls with a large glass of beer :D
I only want to try rests with the these front heavy pistols and not my other balanced weight guns .

I have rigged up a speaker stand to shoot the Dan Wessons from and will soon get some wrist supports.
Not interested in buying a Caldwell type rest and larger surface to shoot from.

Getting better accuracy from a rest position takes the natural skill out of the equation but I will live with that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:14 pm 

...I shoot mostly pistols , but I'm not so steady anymore....When I was a cinematographer I was rock solid (decades ago) ....What I use now is one of those roller stands they use for table saws....Usually about $20.00 on sale at Canton Tire .....I like the adjust-ability , I remove the roller and drape a towel over the 'rack' ......It's fairly light and folds up as well .....I usually shoot while seated 'cause, like I said, I'm not so steady anymore (and I like to relax, a lot!).....For me it works great, just something ready-made to consider ....