Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 am 

Hello everyone, I have the Canadian Crosman Optimus .177 (495fps). I saw on pyramid air, a review on the Optimus 1200 .177 and the tightest group he shot was .72 inches with the jsb exact diabolo 10.34gr. So my question is: will a 10.34 jsb pellet be too heavy for my rifle? i will be shooting 20-25 yards. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 am 

The short answer is yes, for non-PAL rifles stick with light pellets. The JSB Exact RS shoot well in most non-PAL rifles. Otherwise use "standard" pellets around 8 gr. 10+ gr is too heavy. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm 

I'd agree the 10gr is too much but I also wanted to say is you cannot use another Optimus to estimate what will work in yours. The guns quality is too low for any two to be alike except by chance. So basically you have to try different pellets to see what it likes, but you can also tune the gun so it works better period. The JSB are better on avg than most anything else so they're a great place to start. I suppose I'd buy the 7.3gr but you can certainly try up to 8.4 and see what happens. I don't have any 500fps guns but I can tell you this; generally springers lose power as pellet weight goes past a certain point. The full power version of your gun prefers ~7.9gr pellet or less to make full power, heavier costs power and the heavier you go the more it costs until at some point the gun will no longer be able to reliably fire it and velocity will be all over the place. Since yours has about one fourth the power of a full power version it's safe to assume it's preferred pellet weight is lighter than 7.9, but what it is I don't know, nor do I know what is wt is unreliable.
You might also check out the 7gr pellets, I think RWS generic target? I think the JSB will be better but it won't hurt to try. H&N also has an economy line of pellets, might check that out too. I suggest you do not buy any Chinese pellets. You can try alloy but they're expensive and I doubt they'll work out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 am 

X2 to the above comments. With a <500 rifle, especially in .177, energy at impact is a non-issue (see final comment below). So, assuming you're only popping paper at that distance, you'll be looking for a pellet weight that provides you with the closest and most consistent impact compared to point of aim for your particular rifle. (simple reference because I speak from simple, non-technical experience). So, the first decision I would make is to use wadcutter or domed pellets only, and pick a brand that is known to be friendly to a large selection of rifles (e.g., or more specifically i.e., JSB pellets). As an option to buying several tins of pellets, find a place online that offers sampler packets of pellets (e.g, JSB .177 pellets in several weights [7-8 grain]).

Shoot under consistent conditions and at your preferred distance (or the average of your preferred distances). In all likelihood, you'll find that 7-grain pellets or slightly over will suit you best. After you've found the best weight, and if accuracy (grouping sizes) with JSBs isn't what you expected, you can try other pellets in the same weight (not necessarily concluding that the chosen JSB weight will be the best weight in another pellet brand :shock: ). The on-going air gunner's quest: the search for the perfect pellet for every gun in the armory.

Now, if you're trying to shoot anything other than paper or cans (for the testing you will need paper to see where the pellets hit), you will fail no matter what the weight because .177 pellets, <500 fps at 25 yards is not a good scenario for anything other than plinking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:27 am 

Paper punching at 18-25 feet indoors with no temp/wind factors is my scenario with an inexpensive Crosman 760 and Umarex
NXG APX and their inherent quality.
Based on above comments, it appears I should stay with JSB Exact Express(7.87g.) and Exact RS(7.33g.) instead of Exact (8.44g)
I have been using all of these and there is no clear winner which could be due to my technique being a little off some days.
These 2 are pumpers and 3 pumps is enough for my distance.
I have several pistols and long ago determined what they like to be fed at the same distances,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:20 pm 

ten-ring: Pneumatic guns work differently than springers so heavier pellets are not as much of an issue. Springers lose velocity and power as weight goes up, on avg, where a pneumatic/CO2/pcp will lose less velocity and actual ftlbs power increases. Now if your pneu has a bleed hole to drop power <500 then heavier will have less of an advantage and at some point will lose power. Possibly any heavier will lose, or maybe only after a certain weight, but all that and how significant the loss would depend on many things. Plus that is just my theory since I have no <500fps Canadian guns to play with, but the springer vs pneu diff with heavier pellets has been verified by many people.
So the 8.44 are possibly the best as long you're ok with the trajectory, but my guess is the trajectory of the lighter ones isn't a whole lot better. I has a 760 once (full power) and I preferred pellets ~8gr. I have a Beeman P17 and I prefer to use the slightly heavy 8.44gr which net ~390fps. 10.34gr net ~360fps, so only 30fps loss but a little ftlb gain and they work pretty good. 10.3 in a <500 springer would likely not work out.
As for killing power of a <500 gun, I often use 400fps pistols for rats, which I've never weighed but I guess up to 8oz? Or would that be 114-227g :) But a brain or heart shot is needed for instant death, lung maybe 30 seconds, other and they run off. Squirrels are much tougher so I guess a brain shot only? Then there's range, which when I shoot a rat with a pistol it's because I'm in the bushes where a rifle would be a pita, so maybe 2 meters max. I have taken rats at 10+M, but not the norm for me.
Also, a 177 at the max legal CA limit is ~50% more powerful than my P17.... A 22 at 500 is (I believe) >2x my P17.
So you guys would know better than me on how well each kills what, but I know many are using them on squirrels.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:06 pm 

Chevota is right - you have to try out different pellets in your rifle to find the best ones. I've got a couple of HW's and an FWB602 and none of them shoot their best with JSB pellets whereas lots of people found various JSB's to be the best performing pellet in the same model of rifle. The pellet sampler packs from the online retailers are great for finding the best pellet for your particular gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:06 pm 

All I do with the optimus is shoot pop cans,Paper targets, and metal spinner targets.I am currently using the crosman premiere 7.4gr pointed pellet that is 2.97 for 250 at Walmart. I can shoot about a 1 inch group, not the best but hey their cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:38 pm 

That seems like a good price for the premier, but I would try the round nose premier since the pointed is not as good a performer on avg. The premier hollow point seems much more common than the round nose, but it's really just a round nose with a small conical hole in it, so try those.
You can also do some work to the gun if you want, like taking most of the play out of the barrel, sanding out imperfections, bumping power a bit which if done right will make it fire more smoothly. I have details on all that if interested.