Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman vs. JSB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 am 

Well, while I wait for the mailman to drop off my $100 order of JSB pellets, I decided to crack open the pack of Crosman .22 pointed that came with my 1322. Crosman domed gave me 3/4" groups at 12 yards. These pointed pellets are going through the same hole 80% of the time. What the hell am I supposed to do with all these JSB's?

Post subject: Re: Crosman vs. JSB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 am 

Every pellet should go thru the same hole at 12yds, try shooting at 25yds :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 am 

987654321 wrote:
Well, while I wait for the mailman to drop off my $100 order of JSB pellets, I decided to crack open the pack of Crosman .22 pointed that came with my 1322. Crosman domed gave me 3/4" groups at 12 yards. These pointed pellets are going through the same hole 80% of the time. What the hell am I supposed to do with all these JSB's?

Shoot Shoot Shoot,
One single hole lmao..pipe dreamin

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 pm 

There are no comparisons in performance IMO. None of my guns like Crosman pellets. Even the Grizzly pellets I get at PA trumps Crosmans. Not to say every JSB will work for your gun, but chances are they will all give you better groups at 12 yards. All four in the JSB test kit, gave me .190-.400 ctc at 10 yards. Of that kit, the Exact RS and Exact Heavy gave me the best groups in all my guns at distance. Browning Leverage loves the RS. Sub 1" group at 55 yards. And the best part is, these are not 80% of the time, this is all the time unless I mess it up. I would also say to try the RWS R10 is you are mostly doing short distance. Those pellets from my rifle, literally stack pellets at 10 yards. Smallest I was able to measure was .143ctc.
I have like six tins of Crosmans, and not one of them hold group.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:16 pm 

The Crosman premier f/T domes in .177 10.1 qr. Ultra mags give the similar weighted J.S.B's a very good run for the money. They in fact out-group the spendy pellets by a good inch at 60 yds out of my 1760 bbl that favors them.
Another good Crosman pellet for me has been the milk carton bulk dome/points in .177.

I can't really justify the cost until I move up a caliber to .22. There the J.S.B.'s really shine....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 am 

At 12 yards, my 1322 stacks the crosman pointed and jsb's; I haven't had a chance to compare them at longer ranges.

My crosman shockwave NP definitely groups tighter with the JSB's at 12 yards. It also does great wit Norica Hammers.

I've got a few more pellet tins coming today. A few pricey options, plus some Benjamin hollow points. At 9.99/500 delivered, I'm hoping one of my .22's like them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm 

I've read a few users reporting that Crosman pellets work better than most out of Crosman airguns, as Crosman has engineered them to perform well through their barrels. Not sure how much weight to give such comments but it's something to consider anyway.

As said earlier, the distance you're testing at isn't really going to tell much of the story for rested rifle shooting. Any halfway decent barrel is going to put almost any pellet into small single hole groups at that distance. For comparison, a match PCP pistol will typically put ANY production pellet into a hole 7mm OUTSIDE DIAMETER or smaller (tending towards 5.5mm with premium, match-grade pellets) at 10 metres when clamped in a vise and fired carefully. Whether 10 shots or 100 shots, makes no difference when testing a Steyr, Pardini, Morini, or other top brand match gun. The difference between RWS Diabolo Basic at $7/tin and something like R10's or Qiang Yuan's best or any other top level pellet at $20+/tin is so small that it would only make a difference in outcome of the match at the Olympic or ISSF World Cup level, and even there a shooter having a couple of unlucky or unfocused moments will make a bigger difference.

But take that distance out to 25 metres or more and the differences between pellets becomes much clearer. Go to 40 of 50 metres and you will inevitably see that the Crosman stuff just doesn't come close to JSB for consistency of placement. Of course this is dependent in large part on the shooter. If you're doing everything right, technically placing each shot correctly and using very consistent hold and trigger technique, that's fair to whatever pellet. But a weak shooter isn't going to see all that much of a difference. I've seen some guys who couldn't hit a loonie at 40 metres with a $4,000 rifle and $2,000 scope, rested on a monopod. So mileage varies with skill, obviously. But if it's just down to the barrel and the pellet, the better pellet will always win at greater distances owing to flight stability from design, and weight/dimensional consistency pellet to pellet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 pm 

The majority of my rifles do like JSB pellets the best but there are a few that don't. I have a Diana 34 and BSA Supersport that actually shoot better with Crosman Premiers than they do with JSB pellets. You must remember that back in the late 90's the Crosman Premier was the the choice of a lot FT shooters. I also have a .22 HW35 that loves Gamo Hunter pellets for some unknown reason. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 pm 

Benny wrote:
The majority of my rifles do like JSB pellets the best but there are a few that don't. I have a Diana 34 and BSA Supersport that actually shoot better with Crosman Premiers than they do with JSB pellets. You must remember that back in the late 90's the Crosman Premier was the the choice of a lot FT shooters. I also have a .22 HW35 that loves Gamo Hunter pellets for some unknown reason. :D

For sure different guns like different pellets, my Dad's Maximus like Crosman pellets better than most JSB's as well. The Crosman Premiers you are referring to (used by FT shooters) are also not the same pellets you buy in a tin from CT. There are boxed Crosman pellets from certain dies that go for big money

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm 

I have both the boxed and unboxed Crosman pellets. The boxed pellets are a little more consistant than the unboxed but the unboxed still shoot well in the right gun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 am 

It's been more than a few years since I've seen the special die box F/T pellets locally available. The Die #2 domes in .22 are sorely missed. The last 1000 count box I got at a gun show for 25 bucks, and that's better than 10 years ago.
My .177 ultra mags come in a 500 count tin either from Wal-Mart, or wholesale sports. C/T carries them, but I refuse to pay that kind of pricing.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:48 pm 

Benny wrote:
I have both the boxed and unboxed Crosman pellets. The boxed pellets are a little more consistant than the unboxed but the unboxed still shoot well in the right gun.

Yeah I am not saying they won't, anything will work right in the right circumstances, just that the pellets used years ago for FT are above and beyond what Crosman offers today, which is why no one really uses them for FT anymore...Other than a very small amount of people who have access to batches that are many, many years old now.

I have heard great things about the Cometa (JSB) pellets and I currently use the Air Arms (JSB) pellets, I bought a full case from a certain die that performed very well for my gun(s). JSB needs to update their own dies though, many people in FT are buying pellets made for other companies by JSB now as JSB own branded pellets do not perofrm as they used to, they use separate dies used for different customers (AA, Cometa etc...). Just stay away from those premium JSB's, most seem to agree that @ $20 for 200 pellets they are just not worth it :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:31 am 

Every so often most of the time I go through the OLD best pellet test especially when I get a new air gun.

Well I have now given up ever even testing different brands of pellets as EVERY time I did this it always came back to the best were JSB and a lot of unused tins of pellets of other brands not being used.

So now it is just what weight JSB pellet is the only testing I do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:34 am 

D post :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:11 am 

The crosman pellets I get are ok but there are quite a few in the tins or boxes that aren't sized quite the same as the rest. I can easily tell when I place them in the breech. This results in the occasional flyer or discarded pellet. For the price and accessibility though, it's what I mostly use.

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)