Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 pm 

I'm looking for a dovetail sight for a co2 pistol and am wondering what is more accurate a laser or red dot.
What brand and type would you recommend ?
I would like to buy from a local retailer or order from one of our air gun suppliers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

Lasers aren't really used for accuracy shooting, as it's impossible to keep the point from moving about, even at a rest. Then again most pistol shooters aren't olympic target ones. There's also the size of the laser blob itself, which often hides the target. Nice for offhand shooting, a la police training style but I wouldn't try using one to shoot dime sized bulleyes from 10m away.

If target shooting is what you'd prefer then I'd go for a red dot. Have a couple of pistols with them on and I quite enjoy it. Unlike the laser that is projected onto the target, there's minimal shaking with the dot since it's placed a few cm from your eye. Only thing to watch for is finding a red dot that's small enough, as these too often are too big for target shooting. I had a write up on how to diminish the size of red dots that works well, depending on the style of red dot. It seems that most red dots come with weaver, as these seem geared towards the paintballers crowd (which often means a dot that's not necessarily small since these guys shoot them outside and want a quick target acquisition the size of a person's torso).

If you can find one still, the older tubular red dot from Crosman works great on pistols as it has two size dots, the smallest being adequate for target shooting. These came with the 1077 rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 pm 

I've found that a decent quality 30mW laser with adjustable focus was able to deliver a smaller dot than my Burris Fastfire III. The Burris red dot uses a 3MOA dot, adjustable for brightness, and at its dimmest setting looks more like 2MOA (2" at 100 yards). But in bright light that dimmest dot disappears, so I have to go to either auto-adjust or to the second-brightest setting, either of which gives the full 3MOA dot. At 35 metres that covers a large part of a pop can. Not exactly made for longer range shooting.

The 30mW laser puts about a dime-sized dot on targets at that distance. But most cheap lasers won't do that. Still, I don't use a laser, tried it for a little while but really didn't like it. I mounted mine above the barrel with a custom made housing such that the beam was only 14mm over the centre of the bore, but still it was only on-target for about a 15 metre range of shots with the QB I put it on. Suppose I could eventually get used to compensating... but only on larger targets. For small things (squirrels, rats) it's bordering on useless because the laser holdover puts the dot somewhere far behind your target, and that's variable depending on the target's background. Leaves the shooter guessing a lot of the time. I like the red dot on my QB57, as it matches that spring piston rifle's marginal accuracy fairly well. With everything else I use scopes as neither dot nor laser comes close in precision to a decent scope.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 pm 

I had some time to do a little research and found dovetail red dots aren't to common. I found one at D&L by Hawke that looked okay.
I would like to find one a little more compact.
I just got the Dan Wesson 715 pellet and at my short shooting distance with the sights fully adjusted I'm still about an inch low. I don't like the idea of putting a sight on it but I want to be able to use it. I also don't want to put an adapter rail on it. It's to pretty to be putting anything on it.
I have a Tasco red dot that I can use until I find something more compact.
Does anyone in the GTA have smaller one they would like to sell ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 pm 

Looks like the front sight blade on a 715 is just held in by a small pin. Why not knock that out, pull the front sight, and make a new front sight blade which is much shorter? That would raise your muzzle and might even get you a bit of room to drop your rear sight, if it's vertically adjustable. Looks like a fairly simple sight blade, just a piece of flat metal. You could even use kydex or some other scrap of black plastic to make a shorter blade.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Looks like the front sight blade on a 715 is just held in by a small pin. Why not knock that out, pull the front sight, and make a new front sight blade which is much shorter? That would raise your muzzle and might even get you a bit of room to drop your rear sight, if it's vertically adjustable. Looks like a fairly simple sight blade, just a piece of flat metal. You could even use kydex or some other scrap of black plastic to make a shorter blade.

That's a good idea and I will think about it. There seems to be a second pin on the front of the sight as well.
For now I will try a red dot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 am 

This is what I use on my Alecto http://www.ncstar.com/product/product-l ... icro%20Dot
I wouldn't say it's for target shooting but with a 2moa dot , works fairly well even at say 20 yards .They can also be had online for less than 40$.

HW97 .177
HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX .223,22,177,172
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 am 

i think i showed this one before. i don't shoot much anymore but i bought a couple of these off ebay-- only about $20.00 free shipping. i found them pretty good.you can get ones with 11 mm dovetail rail. just go to ebay and type in reflex sight.

Attachments:
$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg [ 80.77 KiB | Viewed 569 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 am 

I have one these branded as NC Star on a 953, it works tremendously well as the dot can be made really tiny using the setting with the least amount of density. In fact mine has a Weaver grip but it sits tight against the rear sight's screws on the 953. Great alternative to the really poor fibre optics in that rifle. A bit bulky for a pistol I'd think but if you can get a couple of these with dovetail grips for cheap, I'm sure you'd find a place to use them. One of these on the 953 means never missing a shot, it almost makes it too easy. On a pistol may be a bit trickier to hit a tiny bullseye but hey, always fun to find a new challenge ain't it? You can also diminish the density of the dot if you find still to be too big and obscuring the target. A tiny piece of car window tint or other similar material taped in front of the source laser does wonders. Can dig up the DIY I did on that if you get one of these and want to experiment.

As for lasers, suggest you go to a Dollar Tree and pick up their laser pointer kit which comes with half a dozen beam attachments. Only one or two are useful but for the grand investment of $1.25 it's a cheap way to determine if a laser sight is something you'd want to purse. Tape it atop a gun crudely pointing towards the front and see if you can hold it's projected dot against the target. If your hand is steady enough and the blood running through your arteries is "quiet" enough for you to hold the pointer on target, it'd be a good way to see if you should invest in a laser sight. Have one in the boys' M4-177 and they enjoy popping small balloons with it, but target shooting sights these ain't. Not to mention zeroing even a proper laser sight to be a real pain, given the tiny screws that never seem to go where you want them to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 pm 

I did the exact same thing with the same gun. after awhile it was ahhh ho-- hum another bullseye. then I tried it on the one gun of mine that I truly do not like. my Crossman-- miss the mark-- buckmark -- and it worked great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 pm 

Thanks. I'm going to do some more searching for a red dot but in the mean time a forum member has stepped up to help. At least I will be able to use the gun while I'm deciding.
The wife and kid are gone for the weekend so I'm going to get the chance to try it at 10 meters. If it's still shooting to high I might consider shaving the front sight down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:54 pm 

Too high? Thought it was shooting too low? Maybe I missed something...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:30 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Too high? Thought it was shooting too low? Maybe I missed something...

You didn't miss anything just me typing and not thinking. :lol:
It is shooting to low. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 pm 

Ah, the old non-thinking typing ploy... been there, done that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:56 pm 

I Went out today to try and get a sight. They didn't have much choice for dovetail ones so I bought an NC Star 4 reticle reflex sight similar to what Pete posted above and a dovetail to weaver adapter. The adapter doesn't fit the gun though so I will try and get a different one.
The sight seems good and I'm looking forward to trying it. I never owned one like this before.
Does anyone have an adapter on their Dan Wesson ?