Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Do Metalmags work
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:17 am 

I've hit pigeons with a 500fps dome shaped pellet (In the head). After a moment, it got up and flew away. I guess you could argue that it probably flew away to die, but it seemed to have come back the next day. :)

Anyways, do you think that if I hit them with polymags ( or metalmags ) it would have penetrated? Logically, it seems like it would (ie. more killing power), since it would be the same argument as being poked with a blunt stick or a pointy stick.

So, for the extra premium you pay, isnt it worth it to give you that little extra power to ensure a clean kill?

Agreed though, shooting into paper or targets is kinda a waste, but it is billed as a "hunting pellet"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:43 am 

I 've used polymag regular and poly shorts a lot over the years. A side from cost, I have no complaints.

There is one thing that I've noticed over domed, if the shot placement is correct and a complete pass through is achieved, quite often internal organs will be pulled through the exit hole.

Have some graphic pics, but probably shouldn't post them.

It will be interesting to try the metal's this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm 

May try MetalMags some time in the future. The standard PolyMags worked a treat on gophers to 56yards with my .177 HW97, so I went ahead and bought many tins of them in .25, .22 and .177. It will be a while before I need to buy more.
As to their accuracy, they rival the best JSB's in each rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:56 am 

Just tried the metal mag in the "new" crosman branded version today, in .22 cal., 17.9 gr.

By my calculations, based on what P/A charges for a 100 count tin, including taxes, 22.6 cents per shot. YMMV. :P

Very accurate. I give them a slight edge over the poly version when it comes to groups.
At m/v 820 fps, they will NOT penetrate a discarded and vented disposable 1 lb propane bottle at 15 yds.
Said bottle is likely 16 ga steel... Neither would the 18.13 gr JSB Heavy, so toss a grain of salt over the shoulder, and press on.

I have the same version in .177 to try at a later date...

I think the .22 metalmag will do fine on grouse- all that's needed is the opportunity to line up on one.
May get lucky and come up with some soft media recovered pellet pix...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:37 am 

I managed to recover 3 out of 5 from my not so scientific soft test media:

A Kleen-ex box from the car packed tight with (wait for it :wink: ) used Kleen-exes.

At left is a new, un-fired metal-mag. 2nd almost penetrated all 10 1/2" lengthwise of the tissue box. By appearances, the 3rd collided with the 4th. 2 fully penetrated the lengthwise box and contents, and were not recovered. Sharp rifling cuts from the A/R 20-78's bore are readily visible on the 2nd from left pellet skirt.

Top view with head expansion details. 2nd from left expanded to almost .25 cal~ .2489" by my manual, non-digital caliper micrometer...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I get a laugh out of this place- always personalities before principles :wink: and that is unlikely to ever change.

D.S.

X2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 am 

Really? Doc S. revives this thread with some interesting and relevant info, and you respond with an X2 to an 8-month-old quote during the early heat of the discussion.Thumbs up to Doc S; Boo to you (but that's just a personality speaking). :shock: no personality signs in your response, I am sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 pm 

:roll:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Really? Doc S. revives this thread with some interesting and relevant info, and you respond with an X2 to an 8-month-old quote during the early heat of the discussion.Thumbs up to Doc S; Boo to you (but that's just a personality speaking). :shock: no personality signs in your response, I am sure.

A old quote doesn't make it any less accurate. Looks like it still hurts your feelings. Boo Hoo :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 am 

Yep, old fights are better left in the past, lol! We've all said things in the heat of things or been misunderstood but overall this is a great forum and we need to stick together and not attack one another.
Thanks to all the long time members who have shared their projects and guns and reviews of pellets and also to all the new members, sure would be great to see more happening on here!
This forum got me addicted, lol, hopefully it'll remain a source of inspiration for many future airgun addicts!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:17 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
peterdulux wrote:
Well said Doc. Thanks ITGUY.

Anyone reading this post will notice that Edmonton 500fps has a quote that doesn't appear in the thread. The reason it's not in the thread is because I deleted it shortly after I wrote it. A little self reflection. After I deleted it, I refreshed my browser to be sure it was deleted, and it was. So, someone was trolling.......

Any way, It would appear that above mentioned trolls this site looking to enforce his canadian airgun sharia law. The fact that he copied and reposted my "deleted" post just goes to prove what I stated in the post.

As to the way I titled my post or any of the verbiage I use, sentence structure or what ever, you just have a way of rendering your opinion, presuppositions into many of your posts.

So I made a new post just for you to not comment on.

topic75506.html

I must have responded while you were deleting. But OMG! Now I'm a troll. Let it go. I'm done, for sure.

Thought you were done, but here you are again.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
peterdulux wrote:

Anyone reading this post will notice that Edmonton 500fps has a quote that doesn't appear in the thread. The reason it's not in the thread is because I deleted it shortly after I wrote it. A little self reflection. After I deleted it, I refreshed my browser to be sure it was deleted, and it was. So, someone was trolling.......

Any way, It would appear that above mentioned trolls this site looking to enforce his canadian airgun sharia law. The fact that he copied and reposted my "deleted" post just goes to prove what I stated in the post.

As to the way I titled my post or any of the verbiage I use, sentence structure or what ever, you just have a way of rendering your opinion, presuppositions into many of your posts.

topic75506.html

I must have responded while you were deleting. But OMG! Now I'm a troll. Let it go. I'm done, for sure.

Yeah, I am just cuz you just keep coming back. Appreciate your comments, wesb2007, especially regarding the forum. However, sometimes things just need to be not unsaid - no heat, just not unsaid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
peterdulux wrote:

topic75506.html

X2 LOL :lol: