Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 am 

I bought the original version HW-77 a couple of years back from D&L when I noticed that Weihrauch was altering the stock for the new model. Not that the current 77 isn't great too but the older version is the one that I had wanted ever since I got an early 90's Beeman catalog included in the box with a cheap and nasty Marksman rifle I bought back then (I had no idea where I could even look for a good airgun at the time) and saw that colour picture of the HW-77 in it. It's beautifully made, has a nice trigger and is a pleasure to cock and load because of how precisely the mechanism cycles. Heavy though! I have the 5-15X40 Bushnell Legend scope I got from the forum store mounted on it and they go well together. I still want an HW-97KT and HW-98 too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:49 am 

rizaloo wrote:
DDtank wrote:
I was going to get the 97 but came across the 77 in laminate stock and couldn't resist. Still getting used to it but can definitely recommend. Mine is 177.
Last time I looked, SSSO had one at a great price in their dwindling stock... :wink:

I'm trying to buy that .177 HW77k from SSSO, but sadly it is PAL and I don't think they have a de-tuned spring :( I am still waiting for them to confirm. IF they have one, I'll make the plunge.

I love my HW30S but I am a big guy and that rifle is too small and it's awkward for me to shoot.

DL airgun have the HW97 but it doesn't come with any iron sights, which is what I prefer to use, so that entire model/submodels is off limits for me.

Hey Riz, I notice that 77 in no longer on the SSSO site...did you manage to scoop it up? If so, great, youre going to love it!

Oh...you may notice the Walnut Brocock PCP isnt there any longer either..(cough cough) :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:36 pm 

I have a HW 97 K, a nice gun imo. Stock stripped and treated with boiled linseed oil:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:55 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
rizaloo wrote:
DDtank wrote:
I was going to get the 97 but came across the 77 in laminate stock and couldn't resist. Still getting used to it but can definitely recommend. Mine is 177.
Last time I looked, SSSO had one at a great price in their dwindling stock... :wink:

I'm trying to buy that .177 HW77k from SSSO, but sadly it is PAL and I don't think they have a de-tuned spring :( I am still waiting for them to confirm. IF they have one, I'll make the plunge.

I love my HW30S but I am a big guy and that rifle is too small and it's awkward for me to shoot.

DL airgun have the HW97 but it doesn't come with any iron sights, which is what I prefer to use, so that entire model/submodels is off limits for me.

Hey Riz, I notice that 77 in no longer on the SSSO site...did you manage to scoop it up? If so, great, youre going to love it!

Oh...you may notice the Walnut Brocock PCP isnt there any longer either..(cough cough) :) :)

Nope, wasn't me! I can't buy it yet, no PAL. If I had my PAL I'd already own it.

The HW97 is super nice but I'm old fashioned, need me them iron sights. Scopes and I don't get along, and I tried.

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

Best airgun I have ever owned and worked on. Accurate, solid and beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:21 pm 

rizaloo wrote:
Daryl wrote:
I have an HW97 in .177 and an HW98 in .22, both high power. I'd like 2 more, .22M97 and .177M98 in order to have both calibres in both models of these rifles.

Do you find that the .177 high power version has any accuracy issues? I'm a bit worried about firing off a .177 pellet at such high velocities. But I suppose if they sell all sorts of models that do this very thing, it must be ok.

My HW97 (high power) .177 has NO accuracy worries. It is good enough to head or chest shoot gophers to 56 yards. It prefers Predators for hunting and Cometa 4.51's for paper shooting. The 'preds' do almost as well accuracy wise. 1/4" groups at 20 yards are the norm for the JSB Cometa pellets - and has shot some groups in the 1/10" size at 20 yards. It runs 872fps with 8.2gr. JSB 4.51" RNs. The crossman HP's at 7.93gr. ran 895fps and grouped very well, but usually had one or two fliers out of every 10 shots.

One of the fellows at the local range uses an HW97, for his air rifle silhouette competition shooting and practice. I don't know if it is sub 500fps or not, however but doubt it it. It is very quiet, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 pm 

This might help- here is my Blackline HW97 at 20 yards, with the groups and pellets used. when you hit the right ones, it's evident.

note- if you superposed the two Cometa 4.51mm groups, one over the other, that probably would not have enlarged the group over .157"- that would be 10 shots into less than 2/10" inch centre to centre

Note, several other pellets, innocuous as they might be, showed promise as well. This is a straight out of the box rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:39 pm 

vestlenning wrote:
I have a HW 97 K, a nice gun imo. Stock stripped and treated with boiled linseed oil:

Beautiful job!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:40 am 

I bought a HW77 laminate stock in .22cal. Mine was a PAL version and after about two weeks I sold it again. It is a beautifully made gun, nicer than any gun I have owned. It is very heavy however. Almost 10lbs without a scope, which is heavy to pack in the field and heavy for extended shooting sessions. I never scoped mine, but with iron sights it wasn't any more accurate than my Chinese Slavia breakbarrel copy I paid $35 for. I even had a friend shoot it who shoots airguns regularly. He couldn't get great accuracy with it either. I now own a Salvia 620, It is light, powerful and shoots much more accurately than the HW77 did. I also paid $100 for it. The HW77 is a beautiful gun but I don't think I will buy another. Just my experience, from the previous posts I am in the minority.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:46 pm 
Supporting Members

You can stack pellets all day with these......

Attachments:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 107.45 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....