Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 am 

I recently started using STP 100 percent synthetic oil additive for lubing my o-rings and other parts. Since I started using it, my o-rings last waaaaaaaay longer and the whole gun is smoother. I had to make sure it was non explosive for pumping to high pressure, so I tried lighting a small ammount with a tourch, and it wouldn't burn. The stuff is super slick to the touch. Also it has not hurt the o-rings even slightly. I found silicone in a dynamic o ring, didn't last long.
Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone else has used it, and if there might be a down side to using it ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:08 am 

Hi Joe, thought I'd give that stuff a try, but I might have bought the wrong stuff. Couldn't find anything stp that said 100% synthetic. Image
This the stuff you use?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:17 am 

if that is the stuff, then read the Specs here click on SDS:
http://www.stp.com/products/oil-additiv ... -treatment

It has a very low flash point.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm 

It says greater than 135 Celsius, I know nothing about these ratings but I am guessing it means it's only guaranteed safe up to 135 Celsius and after that they aren't guaranting anything?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm 

I wonder what the flash point is on pellgunoil? It is safe to use in co2 guns or up to 1200psi.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 pm 

Interesting, as most vehicles run over 300degrees F in the bearing races. High temp-resistant synthetics were developed - starting with the development of Jet Engines.

Back in the very early 80's I attempted to melt some Amsoil Synthetic Axle Grease using a Mapp Gas torch flame directly on a lump (about 1 1/2" high and wide) of the grease. I thought if I could get it to melt, I could use a horse syringe to inject it into the chambers of my cap and ball revolver. After about 3 minutes(LONG TIME), I got the smallest trickle of liquid off the side of the lump, then whomp, a small alcohol-like blue flame ignited on the mound - if I took the torch away, the flame went out instantly. As the grease was totally resistant to water, it did not work as a good black powder lube at all.

This testing made me think it might be suitable as a high compression, fire resistant lube for O rings, Joe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm 

wesb2007 yes thats the stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:21 pm 

[quote="Dukemeister"]if that is the stuff, then read the Specs here click on SDS:
http://www.stp.com/products/oil-additiv ... -treatment

It has a very low flash point.[/quote

I tried silicone spray once, and it exploded with very little pressure. So far with this stuff, I've had no problems.Wonder why it doesn't ignite with a torch ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm 

Interesting they put flashpoint >135 Celsius instead of just putting the actual flashpoint. Maybe this is normal, just seems vague to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm 

Curious about your silicone spray igniting.

Liquids do not burn, only vapors burn...whether it's alcohol, gasoline or wood.

To purposely get liquid fuels to burn easier, we generally atomize them then add heat to vaporize them. Then add oxygen (within explosive limits) and more heat to achieve ignition.

Can also add copious amounts of heat to skip the atomizing step of the process and go right to vapors.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Curious about your silicone spray igniting.

Liquids do not burn, only vapors burn...whether it's alcohol, gasoline or wood.

To purposely get liquid fuels to burn easier, we generally atomize them then add heat to vaporize them. Then add oxygen (within explosive limits) and more heat to achieve ignition.

Can also add copious amounts of heat to skip the atomizing step of the process and go right to vapors.

Al

I had been using silicone spray for some time, without incident. However one time I had dissassembled the gun and cleaned it with soap and water then rinsed and dried the tube and parts. So I tried lubing everything with the WD40 silicone spray. Reassembled the gun, and on the first half pump stroke the pump arms shot up and nearly flew out of my hands. I checked the can later and found it contained petroleum distilates. Which I assume are flamable or explosive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 am 

Used to use the conventional non synthetic regular blue can stp oil treatment before oil changes. Highly detergent, and it cost me in blown main bearing seals. Stuff would actually foam on the dip stick. I'd be very hesitant using any of their products in a rubber sealed airgun, but that's just me....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm 

Anything that comes in an aerosol can is going to have a propellant and likely an entrained solvent (petroleum distillates)to reduce viscosity and make it sprayable. If a fellow sees the flammable warning on the can, it should be used only with caution.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Anything that comes in an aerosol can is going to have a propellant and likely an entrained solvent (petroleum distillates)to reduce viscosity and make it sprayable. If a fellow sees the flammable warning on the can, it should be used only with caution.

Al

Sound advice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:51 am 

So no damage to rubber parts like O rings and seals?