Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope mounts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 pm 

So I may have gone and bought myself a new rifle (shhh, don't tell the wife) and I need to buy some 11mm dovetail scope mounts. The mounts on my scope are the weaver/picatinny style.

My question is; what is the difference between the one piece scope mounts and two piece mounts? I understand that with the two separate mounts you have a bit of room for adjustment but are the one piece mounts potentially more stable, or does it not really make a difference and is just a matter of taste?

While I'm on the subject, can anyone recommend any particular ones, or alternatively, point out ones to stay away from.

Cheers

Johnny

Post subject: Re: Scope mounts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 am 

I like the one piece mount. There are 4 set screws and I've never had one move on any of my guns.

"You repair things with tools, you fix things with a hammer, if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem !"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:48 pm 

^^^ what nod said. Also, buy one to mount your scope as low as possible.
If your scope stop milled into the receiver is a slot ensure you buy a one-piece mount that will take advantage of it. It will be rock solid.

DL Airguns and Airgun Supply Canada are good places to start......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm 

You can't go wrong with a BKL one piece mount - they will never move regardless of the recoil. RC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 pm 

Thanks guys

I have been leaning towards a one piece mount but I was wondering if there was any actual advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm 

I suggest the Leapers/UTG like one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/oe7rxna
http://tinyurl.com/ousf2zk
Both are excellent, strong, look great and low cost.
The one piece no doubt only exist to hold on to springers, but those two piece are upgraded in strength so they're substantially stronger than common ones. I'd say just get whichever you like the looks of, but if you have an exceptionally abusive gun you can get the one piece and add two more screws to the clamp, which I've done and it's easy. I do it not for the extra grip, but for looks. But also for guns that don't have a hole for the stop pin and you don't want to add one, or you don't want to damage the hole. In that case you could skip the pin but have the extra grip of the screws.
You also need to decide what height you want. Most guns come with high rings which I think are ugly and upset your line of sight/trajectory. Medium rings are what I get but they often put the scope very close to the gun, usually not an issue but if you have to shim the scope then it can be. I'd still prefer to use med rings and mod the cover or gun as needed to use them, but up to you. And of course you need to get the correct 1" or 30mm to match.
Usually a 40mm AO or 44mm non-AO (including side adjust) is what's a close fit for med rings, but also the most popular sizes to get. If smaller then med will be fine, if larger than med will likely not work.
I attached a pix of a very popular UTG scope on a generic B18 to show people just that.
Also know that the height of med or high varies so no guarantee. I don't keep track but I have seen 5mm diff between high rings, much less with med but if you est 1mm clearance you may not get it when they arrive. High on the other hand are just too obnoxiously high imo me so I never use them. Yes that's 95% personal opinion so keep that in mind, many prefer the tall because it puts the scope at a better height for their eye.
The BLK are no doubt nice, but I doubt they hold as well and they're certainly much more $, like 4x? And do they even make medium?

Attachments:
Scope - mounts.jpg
Scope - mounts.jpg [ 227.11 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm 

Thanks Chevota, I was looking at a one piece mount but ended up buying the medium two piece Hawke mounts from D&L. They were around the same price at the Leapers ones. It is the same Leapers scope you mentioned that I have. The rifle it is going on is the Diana 280 I bought from the forum store.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm 

Whatever you pick make sure you tork them to spec and they won't move.
I tork everything and never had one move.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 pm 

I'm not sure what I torque mine to but it's much more than the "correct" value to get the clamping I need. Also know that rings usually come with 4 or 5mm bolts, so hopefully they have 5, If not you can make them into 5 which is easy. Your gun won't be very abusive so I suppose no worries, but with nicer guns like that I won't use the stop pin so I need extra clamping. It would kill me to damage that fine metal with a stupid stop pin.
Could you measure those rings for us? Set the rings on a flat surface and measure to the bottom of the saddle, and post the part # with it. And if you feel like it maybe a pix like I did, mounted with clearance?
That way we'll all have an idea how tall those particular mounts are to better make decisions on what we can get away with.
Somehow I had imagined that was the scope you had, that or the shorter one: SCP3-UM312AOIEW. I like the shorter one on regular to smaller guns. The part #'s the same but it has an M in it, and I think an extra $20...
I like the scopes but I wish the reticle wire was thinner and really only the red at the lowest setting is usable. Maybe the green on lowest for something different but only the red doesn't wash out your night vision. All those other colors/settings are useless and a pain b/c you have to cycle thru 'em. I may take it apart and make it simply on-off dim red. For the $ it's a great scope, the side parallax is what makes it imo and pretty much ruined all my regular AO scopes for me.