Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm 

I have shot from my right shoulder since I had a Daisy BB gun at age 8. I don't really have any interest in switching it up at this point. Unfortunately, the vision in my right eye is considerably worse than my left, so even with a scope my ability to target distant objects diminishes pretty quickly - and with open sites it is even worse.

To compensate, I tend to lay my right cheek along the stock and tilt my head a bit to get my left eye in alignment with the scope - it works but it is somewhat awkward and definitely not ideal. As I move to get a better long term set-up (just got a good scope, will be getting my PAL and a high powered springer soon) I am wondering if there are scope mount options that would give me a better scope position form my situation. The other option (that I have seriously considered) is a custom stock with a recessed cheek rest to allow better alignment with typical scope mounts. There may be increased parallax issues as the scope is mounted higher, but a potential benefit could be to leave open sites visible under a high scope mount for back-up situations.

Like I said - I am not interested in shooting from the other shoulder, so I would be curious if anyone has suggestions about a better way to set up the rifle optics.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:18 pm 

Not much help with a springer, but I shoot my 1322 carbine right handed with my left eye since the Crosman stock is so low compared to the scope. I suspect you'll be stuck raising the scope or shaving down the stock if you're trying to make it work with a break barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 pm 

How about an offset scope mount? Something like this:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/can ... nch-offset

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 am 

987654321 wrote:
Not much help with a springer, but I shoot my 1322 carbine right handed with my left eye since the Crosman stock is so low compared to the scope. I suspect you'll be stuck raising the scope or shaving down the stock if you're trying to make it work with a break barrel.

I currently shoot a 2289, so I use the same stock. It isn't ideal, and I have to get in some pretty odd positions to shoot with my left eye. In the long term, a custom stock might be the best way to go.

Dukemeister wrote:

That mount seems to offset forwards or backwards - I am more interested in something that would offset to the left of centre. I googled around, and there are some options, but I wonder how sturdy they are given the number of connections and the 2 piece set up. For use on a magnum class springer, I would think that ideally an offset mount would be one piece and rock solid. I may have to keep looking. You never know, my cousins own a machine shop - I could always see if they could make one custom.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 am 

dyslexic_nam wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:

That mount seems to offset forwards or backwards - I am more interested in something that would offset to the left of centre. I googled around, and there are some options, but I wonder how sturdy they are given the number of connections and the 2 piece set up. For use on a magnum class springer, I would think that ideally an offset mount would be one piece and rock solid. I may have to keep looking. You never know, my cousins own a machine shop - I could always see if they could make one custom.

yes, wrong link. Of course you need a sideways offset. If you google it several options show up. Since you have family with machine shop they could custom build you something like this:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/o ... nting-rai/

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am 

That looks promising - and may be worth a call to my cousins. Some of the cautions in the article are interesting though - probably shouldn't rule out a modified stock, or even some combo of the two to minimize the required offset. Its a bit of a longer term project anyway since I need to get my PAL before it becomes an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:21 pm 
Supporting Member

Okay. I know Dyslexic you don't want to go to left hand shooting, but I had to put in my $.02 worth. :oops:

I shoot almost always with open sights because I prefer it and I've only been shooting for under three years, but I had my right eye fluid go goopy last summer/fall, and so this 73 year old dog decided to see if he could learn a new trick.

The first time I tried left handed I had to literally talk my way through it; which hand went where, how I sat relative to the target etc., but being retired I had the time, and kept at it. By the end of a few days, if I had had a barn I could have hit the broad side of it. Probably. The things I had learned to do right handed, I simply transferred over. I didn't have to "re-learn" the previous 2 years stuff, just transfer it.

Now, after 6 or 7 months I feel quite natural shooting left handed. The neat thing is, I can see well enough with my right eye that I can use a scope under some conditions, so I can shoot zombies no matter which direction they come from. :shock:

Peter :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 pm 

Any time you crank your head over to use the wrong eye, you destroy your equilibrium due to the canting of your ears. If you have to use the wrong eye- change hands and shoot from the correct side. Over time (once you learn) your shooting will improve past the plateau on which you now sit.

Gordo of this forum, had to do the same thing after going blind in his right eye. He switched as that is the only ACCURATE thing to do.

And - he is a hell of a good shot!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 pm 

Thanks guys. Probably something I should do more. And I do try shooting left every once in a while, so it isn't totally foreign to me - I just haven't put any effort into making it a comfortable action.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am 

I'm right handed, and the left eye is the better one. Learned from an early age to shoot both eyes open. The increase in depth of field is worth it, especially over open irons. I've learned to do the same with scopes, and it isn't the big hassle you would think it to be- even at higher magnification like 24 X....

D.S.