Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 am 

Tuning guns seems (could be wrong) more prevalent in the U.S. and a lot of people mention names, i.e. Tuned by John Doe, etc.

I'd like some insight in this. What's involved in a tune? Just a better spring/piston and seal? Are there any ways of finding people who can tune airguns in a given area?

Are cheaper guns more deserving of a tune usually?

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:21 am 

rizaloo wrote:
Tuning guns seems (could be wrong) more prevalent in the U.S. and a lot of people mention names, i.e. Tuned by John Doe, etc.

I'd like some insight in this. What's involved in a tune? Just a better spring/piston and seal? Are there any ways of finding people who can tune airguns in a given area?

Are cheaper guns more deserving of a tune usually?

There's a lot more to a tune than just a better spring and seal... Depending on the gun of course.

With a springer, even a high quality one like a Weihrauch, I usually polish the inside of the compression cylinder paying particular attention to the cutouts which were punched out for the cocking lever and bolt holes, polish the ends of the spring (even a higher quality one) so that the ends have a mirror finish, put in a better spring (and guide) and seal with everything properly lubed. And then lots of work on the trigger, polishing the sears and adjusting it so that it's "right". The smoother the gun fires, the more accurate it will be.

It's not terribly difficult work and after I had a friend show me and give advice on my first springer, I've been doing it myself for my last several springers (HW30S, 2x HW50S, HW97KT).

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:45 pm 

The way I see it is a nice gun deserves a tune, and a cheap gun really needs a tune, so either way I do it. The cheaper guns, specifically chinese guns, need extra work. So with a good gun you might just do some stuff to quiet it down and replace seals and relube it, but a chinese gun needs a lot more work. Or should I say can benefit from a lot more work.
Most people buy the chinese stuff, but price the good stuff like Weihrauch before you choose a gun. It doesn't matter what you do to the cheap gun, it'll never be nice. Even if you managed to get the accuracy it's still not a nice gun (imo).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 pm 

I'm in the the process of researching which AG to buy. I can't believe how much I'm sweating over this as I buy and sell firearms pretty steadily. Anyway, my question about tuning is does it increase velocity? I'm looking at a couple used rifles (D34 and WH30s) and can't make up my mind. I'm also wondering if I should just buy a new piston gun like a Benjamin?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:47 am 

Well i think most tuning so called is a waste off time.......... Used to just shoot are guns to break them in then if needed take apart clean up little lube and away you go ...............

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:49 pm 

Linderhof: The HW is a better quality gun, but the 34 is much more powerful. The 34 should be cheaper? I suppose if used then I'd wonder about the 34's barrel, specifically if it's chinese which apparently they tried to get away with for a while.
The new barrels aren't anything to brag about either but they're much easier to repair.
A Benjamin is all or mostly chinese depending on the model, but very popular due to $.
Yes tuning bumps velocity, but by how much depends on the gun. It all depends on how inefficient it is due to design and/or mfg tolerances, which you correct to net the power, smoothness and accuracy it didn't have before.
Most people do not tune, or they consider some new seals and lube a tune but it's not. Those who actually dig in there and make improvements tell me all the time how happy they are about it. I guess if you like to tinker and hotrod stuff like you're car then you'll like tuning. Then there's those like lauchin which I guess are not interested ;) They still work w/o a tune, they just work better with, so up to you. I have a how-to guide if you want to see what's involved. You don't have to do everything, most don't, but lots of possibles to tinker with. chevota at hotmail if you wannit, text and lots of pix w/ arrows and such.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm 

I'd like to find someone in Canada who can do the same tunes - identically, to what Sandwell Field Sports does in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1kDsuG9uUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqcMBfiW9xI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApfyZMLoY8

I e-mailed Tony and he said he could tune my rifles, but could not mail them to me, legally - regulations.

Check this out on an HW98!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA030iTJenI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:20 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Linderhof: The HW is a better quality gun, but the 34 is much more powerful. The 34 should be cheaper? I suppose if used then I'd wonder about the 34's barrel, specifically if it's chinese which apparently they tried to get away with for a while.
The new barrels aren't anything to brag about either but they're much easier to repair.
A Benjamin is all or mostly chinese depending on the model, but very popular due to $.
Yes tuning bumps velocity, but by how much depends on the gun. It all depends on how inefficient it is due to design and/or mfg tolerances, which you correct to net the power, smoothness and accuracy it didn't have before.
Most people do not tune, or they consider some new seals and lube a tune but it's not. Those who actually dig in there and make improvements tell me all the time how happy they are about it. I guess if you like to tinker and hotrod stuff like you're car then you'll like tuning. Then there's those like lauchin which I guess are not interested ;) They still work w/o a tune, they just work better with, so up to you. I have a how-to guide if you want to see what's involved. You don't have to do everything, most don't, but lots of possibles to tinker with. chevota at hotmail if you wannit, text and lots of pix w/ arrows and such.

Oh lauchlin has tuned many many airguns 40 years worth and before my Hart attack i guess i owned 300 to 500 hundred airguns more or less ...I should not say tuning is bad or not need i am far from a expert with all the new made in China Turkey or were ever i personally don't like any of them i just hate the thought of having to tune a new gun ........I tinker with my 4x4 make it higher climb better bla bla bla so if i guy want to tune up his gun to make it better nothing wrong with that ......But what i do hate is the guy's who assume they are some sort of tuner normally there not .......And Chevota i don't agree with some of your tuning but thats my problem i believe you give many a good starting point... Care on .............

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:09 pm 

From 12 minutes on, watch how Si Pittaway is holding the rifle! It is sitting pretty much on his hand, at the barrel pivot. Then look at the accuracy he got. I tried this hold last time out - both my 97 and 98 responded very favourably.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:12 pm 

Daryl wrote:
From 12 minutes on, watch how Si Pittaway is holding the rifle! It is sitting pretty much on his hand, at the barrel pivot. Then look at the accuracy he got. I tried this hold last time out - both my 97 and 98 responded very favourably.

But he's holding it while it's rested though. Are you saying this should be a hold to try off hand? It looks very strange.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:28 pm 

Sorry Lauchlin, no disrespect! I "assumed" based on your comment you were just not interested. I agree most tune jobs are not real tunes, even those people that charge a lot of $ for them. What I do isn't so much an actual tune, it's more about fixing flaws in design and manufacturing to get it working like it should. Like making a generic car run better by fixing known issues, or maybe hotrodding it a bit, which is not really tuning I suppose. I think what most call a tune vs a real tune is like comparing what the corner garage considers a tune up vs tuning a Ferrari race car engine. So an actual tuner I'm not so much, too much time/work and I just don't care enough about it, but I'm great at fixing crappy stuff, and helping people fix stuff :)
I've been told by many people they don't agree with me, usually about silicone, but such is life...
Btw, my Chevota is a 4x4, which I've spent much more time on than airguns. People often don't agree with the mods I do to it either ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm 

rizaloo wrote:
Daryl wrote:

But he's holding it while it's rested though. Are you saying this should be a hold to try off hand? It looks very strange.

What I am saying, is that the so-called "ARTILLERY" hold is not being practiced in this video - I've watched the black fellow, as well as Tony, Davey and Si all shooting from rests and NONE of them EVER hold the rifle in what NA writers call an "artillery hold" - no matter what position they are using - yet - they get seem to get superior accuracy.

When shooting offhand, holding the rifle, forend of the rifle resting on the hand, just in front of the trigger guard, is simply the "Olympic" standing position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 am 

rizaloo wrote:
Daryl wrote:

I regularly use my AA Prosport for hunting using sticks as a rest in the same way, accuracy is very good as long as the forehand is always in the same place.
I use the forward stockbolts to locate my thumb and fingers even when shooting freehand. If you think of your hand as a fulcrum then holding in the same place ensures the same balance for every shot, moving my hand backwards by a few inches can alter POI by 20 or 30 mm at 35 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:42 pm 

I tuned a pistol yesterday. Took out spring out of my new 1377 and squished it in my vice and put it back in. Works way way better. Do not need two hands to fire the pistol anymore. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 pm 

Daryl wrote:
rizaloo wrote:
Daryl wrote:

What I am saying, is that the so-called "ARTILLERY" hold is not being practiced in this video - I've watched the black fellow, as well as Tony, Davey and Si all shooting from rests and NONE of them EVER hold the rifle in what NA writers call an "artillery hold" - no matter what position they are using - yet - they get seem to get superior accuracy.

When shooting offhand, holding the rifle, forend of the rifle resting on the hand, just in front of the trigger guard, is simply the "Olympic" standing position.

There's no black fellow in that video, and any/all shooting in that video is all rested. I'm still confused, but also intrigued? We must be talking about a different video here, so can you link the video you're speaking of? Because now I'm very curious, I want to see this alternative hold you're speaking of.